Hacking Question Can Local Play with Friends Get Them Banned?

Mi460

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an EmuMMC that is unbanned, but would be banned if I were to connect to the internet with it. I'd like to play games locally with friends on it; if they have stock firmware on eMMC running and I am playing locally (I.e. Smash Bros.), would they be banned when they connect to the internet because they played with my EmuMMC? Just a thought, since I've heard about many people being banned from just playing online against a hacker.

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Such bans have allegedly happened, but don't seem to be widespread. It's hard to know for sure if the couple of people who claim to have switches banned just from playing locally with other CFW switches, are true or if people are just making excuses or if they are simply not remembering correctly.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But, you never know.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Viral banning as it were is unlikely for simple play - there is no way Nintendo would be able to tell if this was just some meetup, at school... and it is not like banning them will stem the spread of an infection or something similar. To that end they would only be inducing a panic about local multiplayer, for no great gain at that.

The only way I can see it happening is if the saves get transmitted somehow and it in turn makes it look like the people hacked their switches (we might see this when pokemon drops if people generate some flavour of dubiously legal pokemon and goes from there). We did also see hacks on the wii and such that would see others banned (mario kart being among the more notable) but I never really looked into those, and if they did work the way I expect* then I doubt it will be the case here as Nintendo has better security.

*the wii seemingly used the mac address as the main identifier (hence the unbanning there by changing the apparent mac). If I were making a banning cheat I would then take this identifier (whether it is the mac or something tied to it somehow) from another racer in the race and then also tie that into an easily detectable/bannable cheat (essentially a version of steal someone's login and do something to get them banned). The other being send an opponent an invalid/inaccessible item (don't know how item stealing works there but it is not outside of reason that it just takes whatever it is "sent" regardless of whether the stealing action was done/successful).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year