Can i update sysnand of my 3ds and keep my legit cia?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Serenist, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    Ok, so i searched a lot in google but i didnt find the exact answer.
    My 3ds is on 10.0.0 version atm and i download(?)ed(?) the pokemon Y legit cia which need update but the game update requires a firmware update too. So can i just update my sysnand and keep my legit cia? also will i get banned if i go online with the legit cia after updating to 11.0.0? and will i lose my hbl and menuhax or even brick my console?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
  3. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    First you cannot update sysnand and you WILL lose all your hacks and the cia, just Google for the update cia and install the update and you may go online as long as your emunand or Rednand is on the latest version

4. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    I dont use neither emunand nor Rednand tho. I just use a menuhax and Nasa to install legit cia. I think i saw somewhere that if i got oly a simple menuhax then i can update..

5. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    STOP DO NOT UPDATE AT ALL SINCE YOU ARE NOT ON LATEST VERSION YOU CAN DOWNGRADE AND SET ONE UP EVEN MORE SO AND BETTER A9LH. THAT CAN ALLOW YOU TO NOT NEED EMUNAND AND KEEP HACKS ON LATEST FIRMWARE AND OTHER COOL THINGS.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Start at part 2 of this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

6. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    But I'm a bit affraid of downgrading cuz you know.. many say that it will brick my device. Also, i dont need any hacks or anything. i Just want to play both "new" pokemon games. So i was thinking of installing both and then update my firmware so that i can play online. But if by updating my console, the legit cia get deleted then i might just stay at 10.0.0...

7. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    It will NOT brick your console the chance is like 0.1 percent. A9LH will just be more convenient but if you want then only follow up to step 3

8. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    Still i dont want to mess up with those things.. i guess ill just keep the firmware so that i will be able to play Pokemon Sun when its out too.

9. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    you wont be able to install pokemon sun most likely, unless they make another preinstall bundle for us to get a legit cia. id say chances of that are slim, so youll have to downgrade ans set up cfw anyway

10. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    Stop being a being a pussy. It's been almost a year now with new improvements on new hacks (arm9loaderhax + lumas cfw) and downgrading has been almost risk free. And there's no guarantee you will be able to play pokemon sun without updating your firmware.

SmokinAce420 likes this.
  11. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    This

12. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    Bump for a correct reply with no CFW shit. Just want to learn about this thing, not about cfw and stuff. What's your problem??

Last edited by Serenist, Jul 19, 2016
  13. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    While I suggest you to downgrade and install A9LH, if you update to the latest version you'll not lose your games, you'll only lose free entrypoints and simple downgrading.

14. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    I'll give you an unbiased response:

iirc you can't go into eShop or Data Management, or your game will be disabled (it vanishes from home menu, but it's still on the "disk" along with your save data), because you don't have a correct Ticket for Pokemon Y, since you only just installed it as a cia. I don't know if 3dsx version of FBI supports installing tickets, but you should try to install the Ticket for Pokemon Y just to be safe

This is a cia, it doesn't contain a private header, so unless you installed a different region cia, you won't get banned any time soon

If menuhax is your only entrypoint, then yes. The only thing you could do is to downgrade to 9.2, AND use menuhax if you're afraid to A9LH. And if you're on 9.2, you can just setup menuhax to autoboot an EmuNAND with a CFW (for example Luma3DS), which you can freely update without losing access to *hax, and you can even install non-legit cias too :P
    Note: if you downgrade to 9.2, and you get a black screen, don't blame me, it's because you still have 10.0 menuhax, which is incompatible with 9.2 home menu. You can fix it by deleting a folder on your 3DS, depending on your console's region (EUR, USA, JPN, etc.)
    Note: if you get an error screen after downgrading, just re-downgrade, don't freak out! Freaking out causes more bad than good. Loosen up a bit, relax!

Last edited by MarcusD, Jul 19, 2016
  15. Serenist
    OP

Serenist Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    Greece
    Ok. Thanks for your answer. Ill be even more grateful if you answer me one more question. Right now i have the Legit cia of Pokemon Y installed and have played for about 20 hours. Will installing the ticket affect the game? Like delete it or delete the saves or something? Or even disable it so that i have to download it from eshop again?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Serenist, Jul 19, 2016
  16. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    That's the point of installing the Ticket for it, so you DON'T lose it!

17. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    [/QUOTE]
    if you installed a legit cia, then you have a legit ticket. dont go installing other tickets, or itll possibly be no longer legit.

thats the point of legit cias. they are signed correctly, so they work on a non-cfw system.