Hacking Can I update my 3ds?

periwinklelym

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I received a new 3ds xl (black and white fates) as a gift, and it was said to be cfw-modded, which can be "removed" when the microsd card is removed.

I want to update a game and it requires me to update my 3ds system first. I'm not sure if I can do so without bricking (?) my system. I don't know what cfw is installed.

My 3DS blinks a lot of colors, stays at a red screen, then boots up after a while. (Sometimes it gets stuck on a yellow screen). My system version is "Emu 11.4.0-37U", but when I remove the sd card it's a different version. Can I just leave the sd card in and update my system? Will I get banned?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received a new 3ds xl (black and white fates) as a gift, and it was said to be cfw-modded, which can be "removed" when the microsd card is removed.

I want to update a game and it requires me to update my 3ds system first. I'm not sure if I can do so without bricking (?) my system. I don't know what cfw is installed.

My 3DS blinks a lot of colors, stays at a red screen, then boots up after a while. (Sometimes it gets stuck on a yellow screen). My system version is "Emu 11.4.0-37U", but when I remove the sd card it's a different version. Can I just leave the sd card in and update my system? Will I get banned?

• Without the SD card in place, what firmware is stated in the System Settings? Does it say "Sys 11.4.0-37U" ?
  • Does your SD card root directory has an a9lh folder? What about a arm9loaderhax.bin file? Or boot.firm file?
Can you take a screenshot of your SD card files, for example like this:

finalizing-setup-file-layout.png

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
  • Without the SD card in place, what firmware is stated in the System Settings? Does it say "Sys 11.4.0-37U" ?
  • Does your SD card root directory has an a9lh folder? What about a arm9loaderhax.bin file? Or boot.firm file?
Can you take a screenshot of your SD card files, for example like this:

finalizing-setup-file-layout.png
The flashing colours mean menuhax

periwinklelym

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your quick replies!

Can you take a screenshot of your SD card files[...]?

When I remove the sd card, it says "Ver. 9.2.0-20U". I attached the screenshot to this reply.

You have menuhax by the look of it. It will most likely work, since 11.4 works. Update, and if anything goes wrong you can install B9S (we will tell you how).

Given those additional info, would it still be wise for me to update?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-05 21.09.17.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-05 21.09.17.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 272

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for your quick replies!

When I remove the sd card, it says "Ver. 9.2.0-20U". I attached the screenshot to this reply.

Given those additional info, would it still be wise for me to update?
Yes you can update. If you'd like to get B9S, do the following.
  1. Boot up without the SD card
  2. When the home menu shows put the SD card back in
  3. Go to themes and change it to anything else
  4. Go to https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) and follow it, and continue to the next page etc.
  5. If you get an option to move emuNAND, follow it

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Update while leaving the sd card in? Also, what is the benefit of getting B9S over menuhax?
It means your console will boot right into CFW with the same speed as booting official firmware, plus you have NAND tools available from before boot up - if anything bad happens to your console, it can be fixed in 2 seconds instead of needing to do a hardmod and needing to have a NAND backup from before something went wrong (with B9S you don't even need a NAND backup to fix it).

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B9s has much faster boot rates and is supported by the latest revisions of Luma3ds. Install B9S using the guide above then update Luma3ds to the latest build and from there you can safely update your system to 11.7. the guide will walk you through copying emunand (which you have to sysnand) this will allow you to retain games and saves and such already there. Other than following through the guide there isn't much else to say

periwinklelym

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some terms are a bit over my head, but essentially I just have to follow these steps, right? Before updating?

Yes you can update. If you'd like to get B9S, do the following.
  1. Boot up without the SD card
  2. When the home menu shows put the SD card back in
  3. Go to themes and change it to anything else
  4. Go to https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) and follow it, and continue to the next page etc.
  5. If you get an option to move emuNAND, follow it

So changing themes would remove the cfw, right? And not brick the system as I was told?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some terms are a bit over my head, but essentially I just have to follow these steps, right? Before updating?

So changing themes would remove the cfw, right? And not brick the system as I was told?
Changing themes will disable theme hack yes. Your then be running like it was a retail 3ds

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

Yes, if you don't remove menuhax before installing B9S you'll get a black screen on boot when you try to use Luma

periwinklelym

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, thank you for your replies! :) I'll give it a shot.

Also, unrelated to this topic, would there be a way to put game guides into the 3DS system itself, so you can easily access it anytime? I understand that with TWL, you can bring up a menu within the game (for cheats). Would there be a way to put guides into that? Phoenix Wright sometimes has me stumped.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh perhaps we could replace the user manuls with them... Anyone know the format the user manual in games use?

RunFwrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please help!!!!!! i updated my 3ds and now it says
An Error has occured:
Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)
Press any button to shutdown
like damn!!!!! i thought i could update my system now it worked the last few times im an idiot!!!!! please tell me theres something i can do !!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If there’s ever another update, look it up on GBAtemp first, so you won’t get scared by such a thing again. A quick search with you favorite search engine “gbatemp 11.8” would have saved you from the shock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol