Can I have fun playing pokemon?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Ulieq, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Ulieq
    OP

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Can I have fun playing pokemon if
    -I dont want to collect them all
    -I dont want to train them all
    -I dont want to play online or vs. other people
    -I just want to play through and beat the game

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Sure, that's what I do pretty much

3. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    me too. i used to do everything when red/blue/yellow and gold/silver/crystal came out but not anymore. i have better things to do with my time than catch and train 600+ monster when i would only use 20 at most

4. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    If you absolutely had to do all of those things to have fun, I'm quite certain it wouldn't be the huge franchise it is today.

5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Half the fun is collecting all the Pokemon, but I find making it through the game with around thirty powerful Pokemon sufficient to get the 8 gym badges. Just collect what you want and train what you want; it's very fun. But don't start saying to yourself, "Omg, 800 Pokemon; gotta catch 'em all". Because then you'll get the urge to train all 800 of them to like level 30. Blech.

Anyway, yes: it is possible to have fun playing this game; I sure did.

6. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Yes. Yes you can.

7. Scorpiopt

Scorpiopt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2013
    Pretty much yeah thats how most people play

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    30? :O I always have like 5 actual team mons and one HM slave, but even one can be enough. 30 just sounds like overkill considering you can only take 6 with you anyway.

Fishaman P and porkiewpyne like this.
  9. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    5 actual and ONE slave? That's pretty impressive. I usually go Starter + 5 HM slaves/sacrifice to revive starter. Though I toned down on the sacrifices nowadays XD

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    In XY there are several HMs that you don't need. Lombre for Strength, Surf, Rock Smash and Waterfall and Farfetch'd for Fly and Cut are a great combination. Usually I only take Lombre along and pick up Farfetch'd when needed.

11. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    For me, I teach Talonflame fly and use his "Flame Body" to make the eggs hatch faster. Then I teach my Diggersby who has the "Pickup" skill the HMs so that while I'm on a quest, I pick up handy stuff like Moonstones and potions.

As for catching them all, I think I finally realised that unless I hack, cheat or replay the older GBA/DS Pokemon games there is absolutely no way I can get all the legendaries in a short amount of time. That said, I've been using the Wondertrade function for over a month and it's like I'm constantly praying that the next Pokemon I throw on there is something I haven't seen before.

12. omarrrio

omarrrio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2010
    Macau
    nowhere
    the game is fun at first, but then it gets boring.

13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I suppose Pickup is nice, but you'd still need someone for Waterfall. Also Diggersby is freaking ugly while Ludicolo is awesome (although one may argue whether it's worth it to use a Water Stone on a HM slave... but fuck the haters)

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Nobody (minus the Gotta catch 'em all slogan) said you ever had to do all that. Just play the game have fun, if those don't interest you, then don't do them.

15. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    But I like those six to be diversified. Besides, 30 is a pretty small group, considering how many types of Pokemon there are.

16. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    You can ask all you want but you'll never know until you try it yourself.

17. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    no, you can't
    my friend is someone who didn't play pokemon , after the hype of X and Y tried the game, just to beat it
    he didn't enjoy at all

18. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

I'm someone who played all of the mons and beat XY too and didn't enojy it, big disappointment :P

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Definitely.
    The first 3 generations, and halfway through the 4th, I played through the game by only training my starter and leveling it up to insane levels so it could beat any trainer easily, hardly ever having to use a revive (except for in E4) and not bothering with training other Pokemon and only catching a few.

It's faster than training a full team, which means you spend less time grinding, but also won't get as much gameplay time out of it. It's still really fun but having a full team is more fun. I'm not sure if you meant you didn't want to bother training a full team (or more) but it's fun in either case.

You'll probably want to do the post-game stuff though (catch the legendaries, explore any post-game areas and such), it feels really satisfying to finally be able to do all those things after beating the game, at least to me :P

calmwaters likes this.
  20. Swauny Jones

Swauny Jones Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    Canada
    T.O.
    I'm having a blast with Pokemon Emerald at the moment. collected about 6 so far and just trying to keep them all pretty balanced.... Good ole harmless fun.