can Customs arrest you for buying contraband?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by blueagent1999, Jul 23, 2017.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    i want to buy a taser (aka stun gun) for self defense purposes, but those are illegal here by law, meaning that it would be classified as contraband.

so what i'd like to know is, if i take the risk and order the taser gun online anyway and the local customs here managed to intercept my package, will they send the police to arrest me? or will they just ask me to pay a fine and then send it back to the seller? can't i just feign ignorance and say that its not my package?

i really want to buy the taser gun, i need it to protect myself, but i don't want to go to jail, should i take the risk or not?

thanks for the help!

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Technically they can.
    They can report you to the authorities and the authorities can do something about it.

I've seen a lot of people getting busted cause they got cocaine/heroin in the mail.
    Along with a couple of officers who where awaiting the person on their doorstep ;')

If you're paranoid about your safety, don't go outside.
    Learn self defense or whatever.

WeedZ, dsionr4 and blueagent1999 like this.
  3. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    You'd be better off looking up customs laws or asking a lawyer than asking a video game hacking form.

4. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    well i guess i won't be ordering one afterall, its not worth going to jail for.

thanks for the help!

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Also there's the fact that if you ever used it you would probably be arrested. So there's no point owning one, if you can never use it.

dsionr4 and blueagent1999 like this.
  6. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Probs not, Ask your local fis

blueagent1999 likes this.
  7. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    HK is a pretty safe place already. I think you don't intend to use it for "self defense" purposes.

DeoNaught, dsionr4 and blueagent1999 like this.
  8. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    depends from where you live
    you should search about the laws of your country and see if something bad can happen

9. YuseiFD

YuseiFD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2016
    Dude govs are lineant on drugs more than weapons, because it's competition.

10. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    A stun gun isn't the best go-to for self defense. Get pepper spray if it's legal. There are very dangerous downsides to a stun gun.

They have to be within reach...you have to touch the person you are trying to defend yourself against, which means you are also within their reach.

This means they could stab, punch, etc. you before you have a chance to use the stun gun. They could not be affected by it as much as you expected, resulting in your being taken by surprise. They could overpower you and turn it against you.

There is also a chance that the shock could result in their death via heart attack or other such complications. This would result in you possibly being arrested for murder.

If stun guns are illegal, then I assume real guns are too? If so, then your best bet is definitely pepper spreay or "mace" as some call it. The more distance you can keep between you and any potential attacker, the better. A collapsible baton or "asp" is also an option. Or just a plain old cane.

Do not attempt to obtain illegal items through the mail. There's a very good chance that you will get caught and arrested.

WeedZ, Quantumcat and blueagent1999 like this.
  11. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    What country is that? Vietnam, hong kong? Hard to believe tasers would be illegal. But then again I live in a country where I can go down the street from where I'm at and buy a 40 cal glock and order armor piercing rounds online.

VinLark likes this.
  12. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Maybe pepper spray is an option?