Hacking Can CFW kill the disc drive?

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just purchased a used CECH-2001A system because the PS3 I had was a CECH-3001A. Had it all setup and converted from OFW 4.82 to Rebug 4.81.2 and was in the process of ripping a few of my PS3 games to the internal hard drive using multiman. After the second game finished I ejected it and inserted the third game, but this time I heard a eject sound but without disc ejecting (thankfully game still comes out with button). However, disc game icon no longer shows up in multiman or XMB. Looking on youtube, this seems to be a problem other people have had. One suggestion says tilting system up, but did not help for me. PS3 is still reading PS1/PS2 games and they show up, but error when I try to copy them to internal harddrive.

Any thoughts?

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just purchased a used CECH-2001A system because the PS3 I had was a CECH-3001A. Had it all setup and converted from OFW 4.82 to Rebug 4.81.2 and was in the process of ripping a few of my PS3 games to the internal hard drive using multiman. After the second game finished I ejected it and inserted the third game, but this time I heard a eject sound but without disc ejecting (thankfully game still comes out with button). However, disc game icon no longer shows up in multiman or XMB. Looking on youtube, this seems to be a problem other people have had. One suggestion says tilting system up, but did not help for me. PS3 is still reading PS1/PS2 games and they show up, but error when I try to copy them to internal harddrive.

Any thoughts?
A CFW will have zero effect on the DiscDrive. the only thing that will speed up the inevitable Laser death is using Discs more.
so if anything the CFW will have you using the discdrive less and increase its life.

Edit: That XMB disc icon disappearing thing is a harmless bug,

Last edited by PhyChris,

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get it working with by rebuilding database and cleaning discs. :)

Seems everything is working now. PS1 games, PSP games and PS3 games.
However, the one PS2 game I ripped with mutliman resulted in a black screen and auto shut off.
Maybe because game ISO was over 4GB? Should I try a different game or forget about PS2?

Last edited by hexcode99,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe because game ISO was over 4GB?
Nah, internal drive (the ONLY option for PS2) isn't fat32 but UFS

I also had this problem on my Ferrox Cobra 4.82, and don't really remember how I fixed it - I think I screwed with manually creating a memory card or the "PS2 CLASSIC/PS2 SWITCH" key combos in Webman

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should make clear that the one PS2 game I tried to play after ripping it with multiman resulted in a black screen and PS3 shutting itself off.
Are some games not compatible? The game I tried was Valkyrie Profile 2.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should make clear that the one PS2 game I tried to play after ripping it with multiman resulted in a black screen and PS3 shutting itself off.
Are some games not compatible? The game I tried was Valkyrie Profile 2.
Yea you have a slim, they aren't backwards compatible so it doesn't have the hardware for it unlike the first Phat models. Some games will work, some won't

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by spotanjo3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.