Hacking Can anyone confirm if new Wii U update effects homebrew in vWii?

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ok, after the update, usb loader gx doesn't detect my ntfs harddrive anymore, it gives and error sayinf HDD not detected... bummer, this one is really sucky

Just tried with a different drive formatted in WBFS, this one doesn't have the error of no HDD detected, but the games don't show up in the list...

Anybody have same experience?

Meh, after trying a bunch of times and turning it off for while, now i tried and it works again... whatever... everything ok then.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
Doessssss anyone know if you can install homebrew channel/bannerbomb the 4.0? I just got a wiiu and don't have the proper games. I'm afraid to update it until I know I can still bomb it.

The guide says 2.0-2.2 but it's pretty old and people in the thread mention it working on 3.0 so the question is valid.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Doessssss anyone know if you can install homebrew channel/bannerbomb the 4.0? I just got a wiiu and don't have the proper games. I'm afraid to update it until I know I can still bomb it.

The guide says 2.0-2.2 but it's pretty old and people in the thread mention it working on 3.0 so the question is valid.
Bannerbomb has been blocked on the Wii for years, and has never worked for the Wii U.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
Bannerbomb has been blocked on the Wii for years, and has never worked for the Wii U.
I don't literally mean bannerbomb, that's just the term I'm familiar with which I used back in the day. I mean the vwii method mentioned in the sticky. Is it still applicable?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so as I suspected...

It only complains about your TV not being on if you're using HDMI.

I switched to component at 720p, made sure to adjust my system settings, then shut the TV off and it worked just fine.

I knew it was that way even when reading this thread earlier, as analog cables (composite/component) physically can not "talk back" to the host unit, e.g. telling it whether your TV is on or not.

HDMI on the other hand can do that. Which is how "optimal resolution" works (I think Wii U calls it auto?), it's also how stuff like Netflix refuses to display if you aren't tuned to that input - on my Xbox 360 if I change the input it'll quit my video, which is really annoying.

Tae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the update I can't use any of my launchers, except for HBC. After launching HBC I can't see anything on my SD card and if I load my sd card by press 1 then internal SD I get an exception.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess games that support both modes are shown in 16:9 mode, as it is the best option to choose if that is the case.

BR
It's not the best option if you have a 4:3 TV. Ratio is best set in system settings, the games should honor those setting if possible.
I do think you are correct in your assessment on how it works, I just think it's too bad it works that way.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not the best option if you have a 4:3 TV. Ratio is best set in system settings, the games should honor those setting if possible.
I do think you are correct in your assessment on how it works, I just think it's too bad it works that way.

I stand corrected. Wii checks the system configuration and when in 16:9 mode, it forces the 4:3 aspect ratio if game only supports that format. When system is configured in 4:3 mode, games that only support the 16:9 format receive the letterbox treatment.

BR

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm really liking this update. It's about time Wii stuff actually respected aspect ratios!

Unfortunate that the HBC was affected, but super awesome for everything else, IMO.

lucasanti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used Multi Mod Manager and installed just fine. I like the green splash screen too :P

Hi guys,

I'd like to use the HBC Forwarder (the one with green screen) and then use the CFG usb loader to play with games keeping the ratio 16:9.
Is the CFG usb loader working with this HBC forwarder on the new WiiU firmware v4.0 ?
I downloaded the HBC forwarder, then what WAD installer shall I use to install it ? what IOS shall I use to install it ?
Last question: up today I avoided to install any WAD on my vWii since I have read on some forums that installing WAD file will change the vWii system memory and this could be detected by Nintendo in a future firmware update. What's your opinion about it ?

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A person sent me a PM montthssssss ago saying an IOS was the key to hacking it all. I WANT to say IOS59 may have been it. I shared what I was told with others but apparently this was not followed up on (had no reply as to if there was anything useful there or not). Your post reminded me of that when you pointed out an IOS was changed.

This is really interesting. This makes a lot of sense as I always wondered how a Wii U mode exploit would work since you can't actually transfer anything to the system. I suspected that they may have gotten in by exploiting something in vWii that could access the WiiU proper (I was actually thinking it may have something to do with the system settings since those are sort of shared with the Wii U). It being something in IOS59 (the only one with the WFS module, which can probably talk to BC-WFS which apparently does something in WiiU mode) makes a lot of sense.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A guy sent a pm, said he was IBM employee, then said ios59 (right one?) was the key. He insisted f0f was hiding it but nobody I know would comment on even looking at it. My main hope is hardware methods to recover and then vWii/Wii U to be public like 3ds and then ideas can be tested. Right now, people have ideas but risk of bricking prevents any playing around.

Reactions: hms

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A guy sent a pm, said he was IBM employee, then said ios59 (right one?) was the key. He insisted f0f was hiding it but nobody I know would comment on even looking at it. My main hope is hardware methods to recover and then vWii/Wii U to be public like 3ds and then ideas can be tested. Right now, people have ideas but risk of bricking prevents any playing around.

This sounds like BS to me. You have no real idea who this guy was, he could have been anyone.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking