Can anyone confirm if new Wii U update effects homebrew in vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bryon15, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
  2. JohnnyBlaze1986

JohnnyBlaze1986 FUCK GBATEMP!

Banned
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Your mother's bedroom
    Seconded. Does this affect anything or are we still good? Even more so, do we still get to play the Wii on the Wii U Gamepad with this new update?

3. DonkulousPrime

DonkulousPrime Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    North of the Wall
    I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this myself...

4. ~kao

~kao Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2013
    Colombia
    Bucaramanga, Santander
    Im currently installing it, 8 minutes to go.

Hopefully wont erase anything

5. elunesgrace

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada

Wait what? Since when could you play Wii Games on the Wii U Gamepad?

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
  7. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Looking at the Wiimpersonator report, it looks like only three channels changed: the system menu, HCUE (the wii menu manual), and IOS59 (which is sort of interesting). Not sure what the changes to the sysmenu are (could potentially affect homebrew), but other than that you should be safe. This wasn't a major "bug gets fixed in every IOS" sort of patch.

8. JohnnyBlaze1986

Banned
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Your mother's bedroom
    So, If I do the hack tomorrow with the new update, I should be fine then?

9. Supercool330

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    That would be my guess (like I said, it is possible there is something in the new SM like remove the homebrew channel on boot, but I think they gave up on that).

10. seanami

seanami Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    All my homebrew is in 4:3 now

11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Bollocks. That sucks. Hope it can be fixed.

12. Supercool330

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Can anybody try running homebrew configured to use IOS59 (or a CIOS based on IOS59) and see if it fixes the screen res issue? I have a hunch what is going on.

13. AzureuzZetsunai

AzureuzZetsunai HAHA, 20!... i punch it!

Nov 16, 2011
    Mexico
    Chihuahua
    homebrew works fine, just some of them runs on 4:3. BUT i noticed that usbloader GX runs on 16:9 if i run it from the forwarder channel.

14. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Does anybody know if it affects cios?

15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Really? I hope we can get this resolved because I sure as hell aren't gonna update till we can figure this out. Very weird issue indeed. Wonder if it was intentional or just a weird quirk.

Have you tried emulators like RetroArch or Snes9x GX to see how they looked?

16. Supercool330

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    What happens if you launch stuff with one of the exploits (say smash stack)?

17. JohnnyBlaze1986

Banned
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Your mother's bedroom
    Wii games loaded from Wiiflow run in 16:9 right?

18. ~kao

~kao Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2013
    Colombia
    Bucaramanga, Santander
    Everything is working fine, except that when you run homebrew channel it runs on 4:3

Although, running usb loader gx from a forwarder will get it in 16:9. Cant run a backup since dont have any installed

Pd: TLoZ Skyward Sword and SSBB look gorgeous, beautiful and awesome in that small screen

the_randomizer likes this.
  19. Intentional

Intentional Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2009
    United States
    One thing I noticed is that 4:3 Virtual Console games no longer appear stretched on a 16:9 TV in 1080p, they now have black bars on the sides. I usually had to force my TV to display in 4:3. This is a welcome change to me. Homebrew Channel is locked in 4:3 with bars now as well, and every emulator I threw at it is the same. Even in Snes9X GX, setting the aspect ratio in the menu options to 16:9 Correction only squishes the image further.

Another interesting point to note is that Wii VC NES games look much sharper on the GamePad and TV vs playing the Wii U VC counterparts. The Wii U versions are blurry in comparison. What's that all about?

20. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Do you have to use a Wii controller even for games that use classic controller??? If so I wonder if the homebrew scene could fix this or if we will have to wait for Nintendo next update....really they get vWii on the gamepad with classic controller on the gamepad and that will rock as then we can play all or Wii VC stuff offTV in our hands including the N64 games adn also stuff like XenoBlade, Last Story, COD BOPS, 007 and other games that support classic controller pro. How does this feature work, is there a key combo to switch down to the gamepad or does the system just now mirror the vWii output to the gamepad at all times?

One other much desired feature was finally included in that they now allow you to output audio thru both hdmi and AV cables....still can't do 5.1 or anything but atleast those using DVI monitors with their wii can have a stereo solution now....plus you can go into a lot of 5.1 or 7.1 with AV and atleast get your subwoofer and psuedo surround plus wii pro logic support...Really makes me mad that Nintendo didn't put a damned toslink port on the thing and support standard 5.1 codec like DTS or Dolby...cheap asses