Call of Privacy: Modern Spyware By PlayStation Network

Mylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Oh, and nice job trying to act like everyone who hacks their PS3 isn't in it for the free games. This whole homebrew crap is just a bad excuse to try to sound altruistic.

I have my Wii hacked to use it as a media device, it mostly gets used to watch old cartoons.

I have DS flashcarts, guess what the very first thing I played on my flashcart was.... Nethack.

The PS3 hack is still pretty new, give it time, the homebrew will show up.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I came in here completely expecting someone (once again) saying that people who purely use homebrew are bullshitting everyone and/or they do not exist. I wasn't disappointed.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
really not that big of a deal as long as you trust your CFW or aren't on a CFW. but seriously, was i the only one VERY disturbed by the OTHER data they were gathering?? this seems to be a bigger point in the article! i don't want Sony knowing how much i play which games, what kind of TV i have, and what kinds of devices i plug in! that's bullshit! there's no way they should be allowed to do that...

so yeah, this DOES add the the perceived level of evil that Sony has, because they are unnecessarily gathering data about each specific console, not even just anonymously, but they know that YOUR PSN account corresponds to that set of data... scary, right? and you also seemed to have missed the bit where the hacker complained about their shaky legal grounds... furthermore, there ARE people who hack and refuse to pirate, a friend of mine is one of those, and he enjoys being VERY high and mighty about it :\

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where the hell did you see they actually use this data?

Do you know that, if you buy something online, the same type of information is sended? What's the big deal, people do that everyday.

And again with this "CFW and refuse to pirate"? Say to your friend for him to blame the other cheaters and the pirates, everyone pay because of these type of people.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then privacy was probably one of the "features" they removed to keep the cost of the ps3 down. I hope they don't do the same with the NGP.

Although I think something like that should've been a necessity rather than a feature...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
really not that big of a deal as long as you trust your CFW or aren't on a CFW. but seriously, was i the only one VERY disturbed by the OTHER data they were gathering?? this seems to be a bigger point in the article! i don't want Sony knowing how much i play which games, what kind of TV i have, and what kinds of devices i plug in! that's bullshit! there's no way they should be allowed to do that...

so yeah, this DOES add the the perceived level of evil that Sony has, because they are unnecessarily gathering data about each specific console, not even just anonymously, but they know that YOUR PSN account corresponds to that set of data... scary, right? and you also seemed to have missed the bit where the hacker complained about their shaky legal grounds... furthermore, there ARE people who hack and refuse to pirate, a friend of mine is one of those, and he enjoys being VERY high and mighty about it :\
Honestly it could extend beyond all that, and if they wanted to (See the bit below), I bet they could prevent certain TVs from working with the PS3. Not only would this piss me off, but I would just say fuck it, and move on to console that would matter to me at that point in time.

Maedhros said:
Where the hell did you see they actually use this data?

Do you know that, if you buy something online, the same type of information is sended? What's the big deal, people do that everyday.

And again with this "CFW and refuse to pirate"? Say to your friend for him to blame the other cheaters and the pirates, everyone pay because of these type of people.
This is a string sent to SONY which includes your TV model. The list is long and contains a lot more like information about
attached USB devices, your home network, your playtime behaviour, installed games, apps, homebrews or their so called
“circumvention devices” and so on. Details about your Home network, statistics etc.
Modern user tracking we guess They try to make every PSN user transparent like a glass figurine. It seems that not only
the governments are going for such plans.

Man, if they can get your TV model, they can also see what you have been viewing, and when, whether or not you know or care. Some internet connections are also home and office networks. If they want to, they could also sniff the other parts of the network (I hope I am correct. Where's Rydian when you need him).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure they can't get what you've been watching on TV.

But yes, if they really wanted to they could sniff whatever else is going on with your home network if it's unsecured, but even Sony's not THAT retarded, that's like cocksmacking a landmine which is holding back a flow of radioactive lava which is holding back the antichrist.

That said, I have never seen evidence that PSN game hacking/cheating is related to the PS3 being hacked. Everybody thinks it because they need an outlet for their anger, but it's just glitchers. I mean this has been happening since years before the PS3 got hacked...

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TheDarkSeed said:
Then privacy was probably one of the "features" they removed to keep the cost of the ps3 down. I hope they don't do the same with the NGP.

Although I think something like that should've been a necessity rather than a feature...
with GPS on NGP they'll now track you down wherever you go.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sony=Nanny Network

They are the ultimate form of big brother snooping on you at anytime and anywhere. If you log in to the PS forums then you may also know that you can find out your previous IP you logged in from, it's in the control panel in plain sight not hidden at all.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Sony=Nanny Network

They are the ultimate form of big brother snooping on you at anytime and anywhere. If you log in to the PS forums then you may also know that you can find out your previous IP you logged in from, it's in the control panel in plain sight not hidden at all.
Most large forums log IPs, and many MMO games for the PC do as well. Hell, runescape displays it to you on login so you can know really quickly if something's wrong.

It's so if somebody else hacks your account they can see that it's not actually you, that there was unusual activity.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
Hop2089 said:
Sony=Nanny Network

Most large forums log IPs, and many MMO games for the PC do as well. Hell, runescape displays it to you on login so you can know really quickly if something's wrong.

It's so if somebody else hacks your account they can see that it's not actually you, that there was unusual activity.
GMail does it as well, just not in plain sight. For the same reason: Knowing if someone else if messing with your account.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
God... people are so fuck'n retarded, I'm getting sick...
I'm getting sick of you man. For one, you're not very good at debating. Sometimes, I can barely understand the point you're trying to prove, and most of the time, said point is not only a generalization, but wrong. Not saying I'm much better, but if you got sick, maybe it would keep you away long enough for more productive discussions. (Also, calling people retarded doesn't help you or anyone else's case. Just because they don't agree with you, doesn't mean they're retarded. Its offensive man.)

@Rydian: I don't know about that. Sony not only has experience in the illegal (rootkits, etc), but also cover ups too. If they wanted to sniff your network, and delete stuff, then they could. This was before CFW users could sniff what the PS3 is sniffing. I wasn't talking about TV either, I was talking about movies and DVDs, and blu-rays you play in you PS3.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Argentum Vir said:
Maedhros said:
God... people are so fuck'n retarded, I'm getting sick...
I'm getting sick of you man. For one, you're not very good at debating. Sometimes, I can barely understand the point you're trying to prove, and most of the time, said point is not only a generalization, but wrong. Not saying I'm much better, but if you got sick, maybe it would keep you away long enough for more productive discussions. (Also, calling people retarded doesn't help you or anyone else's case. Just because they don't agree with you, doesn't mean they're retarded. Its offensive man.)

@Rydian: I don't know about that. Sony not only has experience in the illegal (rootkits, etc), but also cover ups too. If they wanted to sniff your network, and delete stuff, then they could. This was before CFW users could sniff what the PS3 is sniffing. I wasn't talking about TV either, I was talking about movies and DVDs, and blu-rays you play in you PS3.
I'm not talking about anyone here.

You can always use this forum option (Ignore posts from this user) to not read what I post. I don't care if you don't like what I post or not.

Only crazy people believe that Sony will invade everyone privacy, when google does THE SAME everyday and with EVERYONE who uses the internet.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:

You can always use this forum option (Ignore posts from this user) to not read what I post. I don't care if you don't like what I post or not.

Only crazy people believe that Sony will invade everyone privacy, when google does THE SAME everyday and with EVERYONE who uses the internet.
That isn't the first time you've commented on the iq level of forum users...

What would I get from ignoring you? The only that would come out of that is not being able to prove you wrong when needed.

Only naive people and sheep will believe they won't and haven't. The unneeded data they take isn't necessary, and the only use it is for them is to spy on you. I'm glad that CFW has the power to do this. Now I know I won't be getting another Sony console for use on their network. I have no quarrel with Google. They have so many things to analyze and use data its not even funny. They need this data, but Sony doesn't.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Argentum Vir said:
Maedhros said:

That isn't the first time you've commented on the iq level of forum users...

What would I get from ignoring you? The only that would come out of that is not being able to prove you wrong when needed.

Only naive people and sheep will believe they won't and haven't. The unneeded data they take isn't necessary, and the only use it is for them is to spy on you. I'm glad that CFW has the power to do this. Now I know I won't be getting another Sony console for use on their network. I have no quarrel with Google. They have so many things to analyze and use data its not even funny. They need this data, but Sony doesn't.
Study "Data Mining". All the biggest companies/banks/government in the world knows what you do, what you eat, your interests, etc. Sony isn't alone on this.
And you really believe Google don't analyze the data they receive?? You're as naive as me (as you're saying) if you believe that... =)

I'm not very good with conspiracy theories. I'll leave you to believe the hell you want.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, okay, yeah, Sony bashing. Please explain a few points:

1. How is it Sony's fault if a CFW takes your credit card info? You decided to install it, against their warnings. They offer no protection here, and shouldn't. SSL is also fairly standard. I don't see the issue.

2. Data mining. Gonna break this one down:
--a. TV model: I use a couple different Sylvania TVs (SD and HD). Whoop-de-doo.
--b. USB Devices: I've used a few flash drives, my PSP, my controller charger. Again, not sure what the problem is.
--c. Playtime: Steam does the same thing and no one complains. Why is this a big deal again?
--d. Don't a lot of companies do very similar things? GMail ads always seem to relate to my emails, but they're not an evil empire. Why is Sony?

I guess my main point is that this isn't that bad. It might not bode well for the future or something, but right now, how is Sony equivalent to the devil, as so many people claim? The information they're collecting isn't that invasive, and I don't see how it affects legitimate users (if this changed in the future, it'd be a big deal). Most of the problems contained in the post come from using a hacked PS3 online (CFW sending CC info somewhere, collecting info about hacks, etc.). The fact that people are upset about this baffles me. If you want your PS3 hacked (for homebrew, piracy, unicorns, whatever, it's not relevant), DO NOT take it online. Where are you getting the notion that you can do something Sony doesn't want you to do to their console and still use their services? I've pirated a bit on the PC, but I've never taken any of those games online at all. There are ways to do this, but they're about using private servers and such, not about using official game servers.

Now if the argument is gonna boil down to that the PS3 is like a computer, and hacking should free it up, then that's another discussion entirely. Something like that might happen in a future console generation, but for now, a certain line has been drawn, and there are limitations on what you can do with a PS3/XBOX.

Keep in mind that I have pirated a fair share myself. However, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about it, and don't expect to be treated like a legitimate customer. I don't know if people here are spoiled by the DS/Wii or something, but game companies are always going to fight back against piracy, and restriction of online services is a prime way of doing so.

TL;DR - I'm sick of people demonizing Sony over everything, and of sensationalist titles like in this thread. Maybe I'm just tired of the rampant Nintendo fanboyism here or something.

Well that was a mouthful. Get your flamethrowers boys, I've got my shield.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: