Call of Privacy: Modern Spyware By PlayStation Network

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SylvWolf said:
So, okay, yeah, Sony bashing. Please explain a few points:

1. How is it Sony's fault if a CFW takes your credit card info? You decided to install it, against their warnings. They offer no protection here, and shouldn't. SSL is also fairly standard. I don't see the issue.

2. Data mining. Gonna break this one down:
--a. TV model: I use a couple different Sylvania TVs (SD and HD). Whoop-de-doo.
--b. USB Devices: I've used a few flash drives, my PSP, my controller charger. Again, not sure what the problem is.
--c. Playtime: Steam does the same thing and no one complains. Why is this a big deal again?
--d. Don't a lot of companies do very similar things? GMail ads always seem to relate to my emails, but they're not an evil empire. Why is Sony?

I guess my main point is that this isn't that bad. It might not bode well for the future or something, but right now, how is Sony equivalent to the devil, as so many people claim? The information they're collecting isn't that invasive, and I don't see how it affects legitimate users (if this changed in the future, it'd be a big deal). Most of the problems contained in the post come from using a hacked PS3 online (CFW sending CC info somewhere, collecting info about hacks, etc.). The fact that people are upset about this baffles me. If you want your PS3 hacked (for homebrew, piracy, unicorns, whatever, it's not relevant), DO NOT take it online. Where are you getting the notion that you can do something Sony doesn't want you to do to their console and still use their services? I've pirated a bit on the PC, but I've never taken any of those games online at all. There are ways to do this, but they're about using private servers and such, not about using official game servers.

Now if the argument is gonna boil down to that the PS3 is like a computer, and hacking should free it up, then that's another discussion entirely. Something like that might happen in a future console generation, but for now, a certain line has been drawn, and there are limitations on what you can do with a PS3/XBOX.

Keep in mind that I have pirated a fair share myself. However, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about it, and don't expect to be treated like a legitimate customer. I don't know if people here are spoiled by the DS/Wii or something, but game companies are always going to fight back against piracy, and restriction of online services is a prime way of doing so.

TL;DR - I'm sick of people demonizing Sony over everything, and of sensationalist titles like in this thread. Maybe I'm just tired of the rampant Nintendo fanboyism here or something.

Well that was a mouthful. Get your flamethrowers boys, I've got my shield.
Thanks man, great post.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maedhros said:
SylvWolf said:
So, okay, yeah, Sony bashing. Please explain a few points:

1. How is it Sony's fault if a CFW takes your credit card info? You decided to install it, against their warnings. They offer no protection here, and shouldn't. SSL is also fairly standard. I don't see the issue.

2. Data mining. Gonna break this one down:
--a. TV model: I use a couple different Sylvania TVs (SD and HD). Whoop-de-doo.
--b. USB Devices: I've used a few flash drives, my PSP, my controller charger. Again, not sure what the problem is.
--c. Playtime: Steam does the same thing and no one complains. Why is this a big deal again?
--d. Don't a lot of companies do very similar things? GMail ads always seem to relate to my emails, but they're not an evil empire. Why is Sony?

I guess my main point is that this isn't that bad. It might not bode well for the future or something, but right now, how is Sony equivalent to the devil, as so many people claim? The information they're collecting isn't that invasive, and I don't see how it affects legitimate users (if this changed in the future, it'd be a big deal). Most of the problems contained in the post come from using a hacked PS3 online (CFW sending CC info somewhere, collecting info about hacks, etc.). The fact that people are upset about this baffles me. If you want your PS3 hacked (for homebrew, piracy, unicorns, whatever, it's not relevant), DO NOT take it online. Where are you getting the notion that you can do something Sony doesn't want you to do to their console and still use their services? I've pirated a bit on the PC, but I've never taken any of those games online at all. There are ways to do this, but they're about using private servers and such, not about using official game servers.

Now if the argument is gonna boil down to that the PS3 is like a computer, and hacking should free it up, then that's another discussion entirely. Something like that might happen in a future console generation, but for now, a certain line has been drawn, and there are limitations on what you can do with a PS3/XBOX.

Keep in mind that I have pirated a fair share myself. However, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about it, and don't expect to be treated like a legitimate customer. I don't know if people here are spoiled by the DS/Wii or something, but game companies are always going to fight back against piracy, and restriction of online services is a prime way of doing so.

TL;DR - I'm sick of people demonizing Sony over everything, and of sensationalist titles like in this thread. Maybe I'm just tired of the rampant Nintendo fanboyism here or something.

Well that was a mouthful. Get your flamethrowers boys, I've got my shield.
Thanks man, great post.

Indeed, more common sense on this nest of haters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1