Bypassing R4i-SDHC kernel check once for all

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Alex*Sora*89, Jul 18, 2012.

Jul 18, 2012
  1. Alex*Sora*89
    OP

Newcomer Alex*Sora*89 Member

Italy
    Hi there! Guess who's come back after a year to bother you!

Seriously, it's been a while... but I'll make this quick: long story short, my R4i-SDHC (yeah, I know that R4DS with WoodR4 works better, which is why I finally have one of those as well now) stopped working because there's that old "wrong date/system date error/update your kernel" kind of error. Which wouldn't be too much of a bad problem by itself... if only the official site ever had the new kernel to begin with!

To recap, I have a non-v1.4, standard R4i-SDHC, that is the last one to be found at the official site's download section (I won't link to it due to the site's rules). Currently, the only kernel that's available is the V.11c, which is the one I have on the flashcart in question. Problem is, the kernel I have now asks for an updated version, which isn't avaiable yet on the site. For now, I've set the DS's date to 2011, but that's a rather sucky loophole. And that's why I've come here, to bother you guys again or, more simply, ask for help.

I've sent an e-mail to the site's staff, but most likely they won't notice it. However, here's an excerpt:

"So, the problem is my flashcart needs a kernel that's not available on your website yet. I'd like to request either the kernel in question or some way to bypass the kernel check other than changing my console's date."

The question is, how can I bypass the flashcart's kernel check? I tried to look for some files in the firmware's folders in order to spot the one responsible for said check (and therefore delete it), but to no avail. Thing is, I have an R4DS with WoodR4 which works perfectly with the AP-heavy games that came out later in the Nintendo DS's lifespan; however, I still need the R4i due to its SDHC support, in order to play the wider array of games that came out before the aforementioned AP craze. Can anyone help me with this, in order to avoid facing this problem later - no, in order to see the "update your kernel" message never again? I'd be fine with having to update the kernel, if it wasn't for the sheer lack of professionality on the flashcart's devs' part. If I can't even be sure that the obligatory update is backed up by actual updates on the official site, I might look for a workaround as well.

Sorry for bothering, and thanks in advance to anyone who feels like giving me a hand.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It'd be less work to get an R4i Gold or Acekard 2i for official Wood/AKAIO support with SDHC and DSi/3DS support and all that crap than to hack this firmware.
    http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

3. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    I think I have the same cart (www.r4i-sdhc.com?) and solved this without hacking or anything fancy. Go into the DS's calendar setting and set it back by 1 year. After doing this, it loaded up properly and works as usual.

EDIT: Just read your post again and apparently missed the part where you've already done this. Sorry.

4. Alex*Sora*89
    OP

Italy
    ↑ Yep, that's what I've done. What I was looking for was a less sucky solution, especially given that I don't want my game data to be affected by that (as it happens with games that take advantage of the console's internal clock, most notably Pokémon games that save each Pokémon's capture date for example).

All I need to know is where the data responsible for the error message lies. If it's a single file that "tells" the flashcart the console's internal clock's current date, then I'd just delete it; if it's some txt file with the date of expiration written in it, I can just set it to, like, 2040 or something like that.

And, as for the first reply, the reason I'm here is that I don't want to buy another flashcart. I already have the R4i, which I use for the huge selection of games I keep on it. For a smaller number of games, I use my R4DS with a WoodR4 firmware. I've kind of settled with these two flashcarts - the R4i for many games that didn't need to be hacked yet, and the R4 with WoodR4 for a bunch of games that need to be hacked. All I need is to fix my R4i, and then I'm done.

5. Rydian

United States
    Seeing as the checks are "expiry" they're most likely in the software itself (built-in upon compilation either automatically or manually), which means you'd need to look through the actual program file meaning you'd need some sort of ARM debugging environment (and no, standard DS emulators will not run flash cart software unless manually tweaked to, which is a whole 'nother barrel of work itself) and to top it off, the software is usually encrypted anyways.

So you could either...

A) Do it yourself.
    -- Learn how to crack the encryption for that flash cart's software.
    -- Modify a DS emulator to run the flash cart system software.
    -- Use the emulator's debugger to find which functions are run during the initial date check, trace those functions and find where the stored date is.
    -- Hex edit the date to something far in the future.
    -- Re-encrypt the system software so that the flash cart will run it again, with modifications.
    B) Wait for somebody to come in with the above know-how and do it for you.
    C) Could get an R4i Gold and get the best of both carts. Proper Wood support for all games, SDHC support for up to 32GB MicroSDs, and DSi/3DS compatibility.

I'm suggesting an easier course of action that gives you more benefit than your original idea. :P

6. Alex*Sora*89
    OP

Italy
    Wait, so R4i Gold supports both SDHC and WoodR4? That was I was looking for all along... before I bought an R4DS, anyway.

However, for now I'd rather choose the option B - namely, waiting for someone who knows how this works.

7. Rydian

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

The R4i Gold from R4iDS.CN has official Wood support, and is a modern flash cart with SDHC support and DSi/3DS support and all that crap.

The only flash carts that don't support SDHC nowadays are really old models like the original R4. Everything supports SDHC so the only carts that bother labeling themselves as such are ones that do it to get unknowing people to buy them, thinking other carts without the SDHC label right on the sticker don't support it.

8. Alex*Sora*89
    OP

Italy
    Well, okay then, thanks for the suggestion. And I mean it. :)

The problem is that, at the moment, I can't afford to buy one. I could in a couple of weeks, but just not right now. Which, again, is why I'm here bothering you folks. :(

9. Rydian

United States
    If it wss a simple fix I knew how to do I'd have posted a solution, for now hope somebody that knows more comes in.

10. Alex*Sora*89
    OP

Italy
    Maybe these days I'll manage to get my hands on a R4i Gold - of course I'll have to make sure it can really support both Wood and SDHC before buying it in a blind rush - but for now... guess what? Thread bump! I hope someone can lend a hand here. I just know there's someone on the site who knows how it works.