ROM Hack RELEASE BWAV extractor (BARS-to-BWAV)

jackz314

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more recently-released games (like ACNH) use BARS files as containers for their sound effects that are encoded in BWAV format. The larger sound files are usually in BWAV formats already and can be read or converted with tools like vgmstream, but I couldn't find any tools to extract BWAV files from these BARS files, so I made one myself.

The code is written in C++, should be cross-platform, although I only tested it on Ubuntu. I built executables for Linux, which is available in my github repo at github/jackz314/bars-to-bwav (I'm new so I can't post any links yet) and in the attachment.

For more details about the code see the github repo, but basically, run it like this: bars-to-bwav <bars file or folder containing bars files> [bwav output folder]

Any feedback is appreciated. Initially, I wanted to use Python, which should be easier, but I wanted to practice my C++, so here we are.

Attachments

• bars-to-bwav.zip
    152.3 KB · Views: 491
Last edited by jackz314,

Chubby_Bub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for this. It was useful for AC:NH. However you and anyone else should know it only works if you have MinGW installed. (This was on Windows, and I downloaded the built executable.) Maybe that was obvious, but I’m not very knowledgeable about coding— I'd never heard of MinGW before this. First it was telling me I was missing two .dll files, which I downloaded, but then it gave me a “point of entry” error. Once I downloaded and installed MinGW, I put the .exe file in the bin folder and it worked great! You may want to mention this on the github.

jackz314

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for this. It was useful for AC:NH. However you and anyone else should know it only works if you have MinGW installed. (This was on Windows, and I downloaded the built executable.) Maybe that was obvious, but I’m not very knowledgeable about coding— I'd never heard of MinGW before this. First it was telling me I was missing two .dll files, which I downloaded, but then it gave me a “point of entry” error. Once I downloaded and installed MinGW, I put the .exe file in the bin folder and it worked great! You may want to mention this on the github.
Glad to know it was useful to you, sorry about the MinGW thing, because it was on my machine when I tested it, I just forgot about it. I just pushed a change that should get rid of the need for MinGW or other dev libraries, you can check out the latest release in the GitHub repo if you're interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh, no need to apologize. Thanks for asking.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You ever played Super Mario Crossover Flash?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its one of the best Mario games in Flash, where you can choose from a number of different Nintendo characters to play as.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i already told you i did play it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Oh, I honestly don't remember, it was a long while ago I imagine.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it was like a couple months ago
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Man, the new art of Callie from Splatoon's Twitter account looks so amazing and cute
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sweet new south parks out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons