Hacking Buying the 3DS XL today, wanting to get into the full hacking scene

Psychotacon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm buying the new 3DS XL today. I've played all versions of the DS at one time or another but never owned one, I always had a PSP and was big into custom firmware for that. I would say I have an intermediate understanding of the concept of console/portable hacking.

I read a few of the stickies, I particularly enjoyed "Some hacking concepts and links" I've never seen an article so huge and informative.

I'm debating whether or not to just buy a couple of 3DS games and be patient to buy a cartridge that I can load all of my NDS/GBA/GBC/SNES/NES games on to.

Considering Sony's style of updating the hardware and firmware every time they released a new or slightly updated version of the PSP, I would assume that Nintendo would follow a similar style by releasing the 3DS XL with updated hardware and firmware to prevent homebrew/hacking. Was that the case with the DS XL? Do you think that will be the case with the 3DS XL?

If so then, will we have to wait for an updated cartridge?

Also, from what I've read so far, it sounds like I could just create my own card for rom storage/usage by using an SD card and a GBA cartridge that I don't care about. Is that true?

Thank you in advance.

Psychotacon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol no problem, thank you. I know, I'm very long winded.

What are the advantages between the different types of cards?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
DSTWO will nullify all your updating issues as their team is super efficient. Cart updates will be out within 24 hours of 3DS update release.

Downside? It's costly.

Psychotacon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that. I'm looking at the "The SuperCard DSTWO Beginner's Guide: How to Setup the DSTWO and More" and it recommends using ShopTemp to get the DSTWO tools, which look to be about $30-40. That's actually really not bad at all considering most DS games are priced between $10-20.

Are you able to install additional emulators to this?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can yes, although the snes emu is pretty much junk, the gba one though is hit and miss

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course, you can add more emulators, and you should, if you intend to play more than GBA/SNES/DS games.

Emulators are loaded like a classic DS game, that's it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Current 3DS hacking is limited to DS-mode, so read the DS flash cart section's stickies to learn what you need to know about the differences and uses and crap. I'm trying to get something changed in the forums so this becomes clear, since people go right to the 3DS section and miss all the relevant info which is actually in the DS section...

GBA on the 3DS is only possible (with good compatibility and such) via the DSTwo, but it's still not perfect, since it's emulation with limits.

As far as the DSi/XL and 3DS/XL, they use the same firmware updates.

We can't tell the future. We don't know what the next type of hack will be.

You can't use the DSi/3DS SD card slot for ROMs.

BigBlarg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THank you for those information. I bought a 3DS XL too today and wanted to get myself a flashcard. I'll go for the DSTWO

I still have an old original R4 for my original DS, but obviously, it doesn't work. I think I paid around 75$ in the past for it, so the 30-40$ for the DSTWO is not a problem, actually, less than I expected.

3DSDSXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone tried and movies on xl with dstwo card what's the video like? I got my xl just waiting for my dstwo card.

Psychotacon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all the info. So basically, wait til DSTwo is 3DS XL specific, and if I want any sort of decent emulation, go for the DSTwo?

frijolez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of the video game mod'ing scene since the original xbox, and also picked up a new 3ds XL...

This DSTWO looks pretty neat. Plays both 3DS and DS stuff really easy?

Do I need to get my own microSD card? Are their any size limitations that anyone has run into?

Chrscool8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Nothing plays 3DS Roms. All these flash carts only run in ds mode.

And it depends on where you buy it from. Most modern carts support SDHC, so anything up to 32GB should work.

frijolez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats weird they release 3DS roms online with no support :( One of these days I s'pose!

Tons of good gameboy/GBA/DS games though

Alex221

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,this is Reggie. I'm sure you all know me by now (my body my body is ready). What's this i hear about pirating our games? Shame on you guys,you're not supporting our developers at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kinda feeling like that remix of the perfect cell theme