Hacking Buying n3dsxl small dilemma

Anthony L

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I was going to buy a n3ds xl after browsing around here for a while. The plan was to try and find a 9.2 version and get Gateway3ds but I couldnt find one easily so I thought I'd buy a regular n3dsxl and get Sky3ds. However I just ran across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firmware-9-...144900?hash=item2ca898c3c4:g:brMAAOSwFqJWsssQ

But I have no idea if its worth it to buy this and get gateway or just get a new system itself and get gateway 3ds. Buying this to mainly play games and attempt at getting online but that comes after.

Any help?

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or better yet, find yourself a n3ds with 10.3 or lower firmware, tons out there, and then downgrade it to 9.2. Once you downgrade it, you can either buy a gateway or install cfw(e.g. rxtools, reinand) which is free.

Last edited by cooroxd,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I was going to buy a n3ds xl after browsing around here for a while. The plan was to try and find a 9.2 version and get Gateway3ds but I couldnt find one easily so I thought I'd buy a regular n3dsxl and get Sky3ds. However I just ran across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firmware-9-...144900?hash=item2ca898c3c4:g:brMAAOSwFqJWsssQ

But I have no idea if its worth it to buy this and get gateway or just get a new system itself and get gateway 3ds. Buying this to mainly play games and attempt at getting online but that comes after.

Any help?
Buy it. With that you won't need gateway at all. You'd be able to install FREE CFW. It's like gateway, but no card is needed and it's free.

Anthony L

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with this model, if I buy it I can just install the roms without any additional purchases? I was always under the impression that I would need a gateway/sky3ds card to play the roms

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with this model, if I buy it I can just install the roms without any additional purchases? I was always under the impression that I would need a gateway/sky3ds card to play the roms
Yup. You don't need either of those for a 3ds on 9.2 or lower. Gateway has become obsolete with the existence of CFW. And sky3ds is for those on the latest firmware that can not use gw or CFW. There are plenty of guides here on how to set up rxtools and reinand on the new 3ds systems. If a guide says "gateway launcher" that's just the file on gateways site for creating emunand which is free to download. But you'll also want to upgrade to a 32gb or bigger micro sd card. 8gb would not be enough space since emunand takes up almost 2gbs. And the roms you'll install are .cia files. So no need for headers for online play!

Last edited by nero99,
Reactions: Anthony L

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Any help?
I'll sell you mine, I have both of them in 9.2 lol with homebrew installed already, you pick the color I have a red and a black(gray) ;) for 190!

Anthony L

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow cool thanks a lot Nero! Thats awesome advice. I'll probably buy that one now or I'll take huma up on his offer lol. Thanks again guys :)

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow cool thanks a lot Nero! Thats awesome advice. I'll probably buy that one now or I'll take huma up on his offer lol. Thanks again guys :)

Or you can a buy a brand new limited edition fire emblem fates new 3ds xl being released this friday. If rumors are true, the firmware of it should be 10.3 or lower. Another option, you can buy any cheap used 3ds off of craigslist that is 10.3 firmware or lower and downgrade it yourself.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get a brand new black 3ds xl from walmart.com or amazon or price match either website at best buy in store for $175 and just downgrade it.

Anthony L

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was considering doing that but I was a little worried that I'd brick my system. I read the posts saying that as long as you dont do anything stupid You can do it easily but I think it was just the prospect of doing something potentially harmful that made me a little hesitant to do it myself. I take it that its actually not that difficult to do?

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, you only need is the sysupdater app and homebrew channel to launch it from. You also need the cia 9.2 update files. It may also take more than 1 try because sysupdater is very unstable and tend to freeze and give you cannot get cia info error. Just hard reset 3ds and try again

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last edited by cooroxd,
Reactions: Anthony L

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E