Gaming Buying a TV, need suggestions

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're going to be buying a new TV for our basement in a few weeks. It will mostly be used for gaming with some DVD watching on the side.

We have a Wii and 360 and various older consoles all currently hooked up to a 27 inch CRT thats 10 years old.

We'll be buying one at Walmart or Costco. From looking around what we've found lots in our price range.

I've read some stories about how the Wii upscales horribly on some TVs but can't find any more info about that. We can settle for 720p if it gets us another foot of screen or so, most of us are half blind and don't need 1080 anyways. We have no plans for a blu ray player or paying for HD TV(hardly watch tv)

Can anyone make some suggestions on what brands/models work well with a Wii?

Sharp, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, Vizio are good brands right?

Theres a "Viore" 42 inch 1080p going for the price of a 32 inch 1080p Sharp. Never heard of Viore though

I'm also wondering about cables. We're going for official Nintendo hdmi cable and already have microsoft hdmi cable for the 360, is that the best bet? Or are there better third party cables to go for? Not worried too much about price of cables.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a 42 inch magnavox plasma and it works great. I've had it for about a year and no problems. Plasma is better then older lcd tv's. they show objects in motion better and show deeper darker blacks. The motion blur issue isn't a problem with the 120 hertz lcds. Plasma's are usually a little cheaper and i play my wii on it daily. I haven't had any issues with screen burn or anything of that nature.

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The main thing you have to be carefull of, is the upscale function.

I have a Samsung LE32R86 on which I have a very nice picture for my wii. I chose this model because of its good upscale function. Most of the time, when you read the review on Internet, you will have the quality of upscale interpolation.

But be very carefull with the model you buy : it does not depend only on the brand. For instance, the Sony Bravia D3000 is very nice for a Wii, but the Sony Bravia P3000 has a bad interpolation...

Note also that the full HD TV are often less gifted when it comes to SD signals : don't buy the cheapest models !

The best way is to be sure is to be able to try. I went to Carrefour with my wii and a YUV cable, and I've tested various TV. Don't forget to desactivate all "enhancement" : most of the time, the picture is better without the "dynamic" stuffs...

If you can read French, I wrote a small guide about this, you can read it there :
http://www.gamekult.com/blog/tetram/100110...+pas+moche.html

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
perkele said:
franky86 said:
I'm also wondering about cables. We're going for official Nintendo hdmi cable
No need to use HDMI for the Wii as it can only do 480p, just get a component cable at DX for less than U$5.00 shipped.

I have a 40" Samsung 720p LCD and I use the Wii via component too. And I must say the Wii actually produces a very nice picture on it. Its pretty crisp and vibrant, obviously if the game has horrible graphics it looks bad. But the few games that look decent look great on it, there is definitely a massive difference between 480i via scart cable and 480p via component. I wouldnt go with HDMI though, theres no point, stick with component its all you need.

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sceptre x32bv this tv is basically the cheapest full 1080p tv you can buy (400 at microcenter or 450 at costco as they extend the manufacture's warranty to 2 years) by full 1080p i mean most 1080p tv's in that price range really arnt 1920x1080 resolution but rather downscale the 1080p signal to their smaller resolution

this tv does not do that it is full 1920x1080 for the price of a name brand 720p tv

heres the costco link:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...g=en-US&s=1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ