HDMI Display issue

bill7777

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe a year and a half ago I homebrewed an old Wii. It worked awesomely and never had any problems. About 2 weeks ago my daughter went to turn it on and play with a friend and nothing happened. Our Samsung 8 series smart tv just said no signal. I restarted it a few times and it started going to the wii menu for less than a second and then going back to no signal. I tried it on a TCL tv as well to see if the Samsung might be having an issue...same thing. I was using a Portholic Wii to HDMI converter.

I figured the converter went bad so I bought another one. Same issue. Flashed the wii menu for a split second and then nothing. I knew the wii was on because I could feel the controller vibrations, so I found an old component cable and hooked it up to an old tube tv we have in the basement. Fired right up but it was in black and white.

I tried to change the tv resolution settings to the other option but still no luck. It's still flashing the wii menu and then "no signal" I bought a Portta component to HDMI converter and tried that on the other TVs but still nothing.

Any ideas? When it's hooked up to the old tube tv it works fine. Games play, no problems. The fact that it just started happening after over a year or perfect functionality has me stumped. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So maybe a year and a half ago I homebrewed an old Wii. It worked awesomely and never had any problems. About 2 weeks ago my daughter went to turn it on and play with a friend and nothing happened. Our Samsung 8 series smart tv just said no signal. I restarted it a few times and it started going to the wii menu for less than a second and then going back to no signal. I tried it on a TCL tv as well to see if the Samsung might be having an issue...same thing. I was using a Portholic Wii to HDMI converter.

I figured the converter went bad so I bought another one. Same issue. Flashed the wii menu for a split second and then nothing. I knew the wii was on because I could feel the controller vibrations, so I found an old component cable and hooked it up to an old tube tv we have in the basement. Fired right up but it was in black and white.

I tried to change the tv resolution settings to the other option but still no luck. It's still flashing the wii menu and then "no signal" I bought a Portta component to HDMI converter and tried that on the other TVs but still nothing.

Any ideas? When it's hooked up to the old tube tv it works fine. Games play, no problems. The fact that it just started happening after over a year or perfect functionality has me stumped. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Use the old TV, navigate to System Settings and change the TV output mode, see if you can get it to be in color, then try the HDMI adapter again with the new setting.

bill7777

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually checked your HDMI cable?

if you bought a new Wii2HDMI, the most logical thing to go wrong would be the cable.
Yeah...that only occurred to me after I bought a second adapter and then the component to HDMI adapter. I've tried 2 different HDMI cables...I could try to find another one and see. It's just strange to me that it would suddenly fail.

bill7777

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the old TV, navigate to System Settings and change the TV output mode, see if you can get it to be in color, then try the HDMI adapter again with the new setting.
Is this what you mean? I tried both of them and then hooked it back to HDMI with no luck. Just flashes the Wii menu for a second and then no signal.
20220912_111551.jpg

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is this what you mean? I tried both of them and then hooked it back to HDMI with no luck. Just flashes the Wii menu for a second and then no signal. View attachment 327243
I forgot that those options existed.

I think what's happening then is that your newer TV's doesn't support such alow resolution like 480p.

There's no way to "fix it", other than using older displays such as old Plasma/LCD panels.

But to be honest, you can't go wrong with CRT's, so that's very good in my opinion.

bill7777

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot that those options existed.

I think what's happening then is that your newer TV's doesn't support such alow resolution like 480p.

There's no way to "fix it", other than using older displays such as old Plasma/LCD panels.

But to be honest, you can't go wrong with CRT's, so that's very good in my opinion.
I just can't figure out why it worked fine for almost 2 years and then suddenly decided to not work. I've checked multiple HDMI cables, used 2 different wii2HDMI adapters and a component to HDMI adapter, and the same issue...flashes the Wii menu and then no signal.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
issue...flashes the Wii menu and then no signal.
it's definitely your TV.
If it were your Wii or the console's video/audio port, it wouldn't work in a CRT neither.

Your TV either doesn't accept low resolutions, or your TV's HDMI port got busted, probably a pin bent over, maybe whatever handles low resolutions broke.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Is it possible that your tv had a software update before the issue started happening? If it worked before maybe try resetting your tv to factory defaults or if you can that particular input to default settings and see if it works again. Maybe it's plugged into an "enhanced port" and will work in a standard port if you have more. It's possible that maybe the setting in the wii menu got changed to 480i and the issue started. If you have component cables it maybe possible that you need to use those to first renable 480p mode on the wii before it will display over hdmi.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing I can suggest is try plugging another HDMI device into the port that the Wii was previously hooked up to in order to confirm if the port is having the issue or the TV. Also, if it turns out that it's a resolution issue, just buy yourself an external upscaler.

bill7777

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing I can suggest is try plugging another HDMI device into the port that the Wii was previously hooked up to in order to confirm if the port is having the issue or the TV. Also, if it turns out that it's a resolution issue, just buy yourself an external upscaler.
Any upscaler that you would recommend?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free