Gaming Buying a new laptop!

raing3

CNET_Richard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To add to the bajillion other topics where members seek the opinions of other members before dropping money on some expensive piece of computer hardware...

I've been considering buying a computer for almost a year now but have continued to put it off due to lack of money, or more recently not being able to commit to a specific laptop. I now have a decent amount of money put away for a new laptop and I figure I should buy one ASAP as I am seeing it slowly disappearing on garbage I probably don't really need. :P

The system I am upgrading from is a HP Pavilion dv5-1139tx which I have been using for the past 4 years, apart from its dead battery, broken DVD drive and slightly disgusting exterior there is nothing drastically wrong with it. It does everything I currently need but my desire to buy a new laptop has been slowly compounding.

Below is a list of the primary requirements I need from a laptop, my current system specifications, the specifications of the systems I am looking at and lastly a few questions/concerns I have before I decide to make a purchase.

Primary usages:
  • Software development (mostly PHP + probably ASP/C# in the near future, need to be able to fit as much on screen as possible for this).
  • Browsing the web.
  • Possibly gaming.
Current System Specs:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9400 2.53 GHz
  • 4.00GB DDR2 RAM
  • 32-bit Windows 7
  • 512MB GeForce 9600M GT
  • 400GB Hard Drive
  • 4x USB 2.0 Ports
  • 15.6" screen (1280 x 800)
Potential System Specs:

ASUS R701VM:
  • Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3 GHz (3rd generation)
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • 64-bit Windows 7
  • 2GB GeForce GT630M DDR3
  • 2TB Hard Drive
  • 4x USB 3.0 Ports
  • 17.3" screen (1600 x 900)
  • 802.11n + Intel Wireless Display support
  • $1,499 (Digital Star)
Samsung 700G7A
  • Intel Core i7 2670GM 2.2 GHz (2nd generation)
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • 64-bit Windows 7
  • 2GB AMD Radeon 6970M DDR5
  • 2TB Hard Drive
  • 2x USB 3.0 + 2x USB 2.0 Ports
  • 17.3" screen (1920 x 1080) (3D)
  • 802.11n + HDCP
  • $1,799 (oz.buy)
Concerns/Questions:
  • Is anyone able to confirm the resolution for the ASUS R701VM? The other similar ASUS models have a 1920x1080 resolution, Digital Star also sell the ASUS R701VM on eBay with a 1920x1080 resolution stated.
  • Is there any other systems with similar specs worth looking at?
  • Is there any massive hole which I am overlooking in the systems which will drastically effect performance and limit the capabilities of the other components?
  • Both sellers seem to be rather reputable from my research but if anyone has anything to add about them feel free to share.
  • I am considering connecting the system (most likely using WiDi / WHDI) to my 42" TV. Is this technology at a point where it is stable and will it work well for gaming + web development (IDE on laptop screen + browser on TV)?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Some shop sites report that's the resolution too. I can't find the specs on Asus's site either for some reason, the page gives a custom error.

2 - Not sure in that price range, I rarely look at systems that costly.

3 - Well the second one has a much better video card than the first, but also a weaker CPU. That will visibly impact compile times (noticeable, not hard though) if you start working on big executable projects (though interpreted languages like PHP won't bat an eye at the difference).

4 - Dunno'.

5 - Assuming you don't need low latency on the TV (and the TV's got HDMi-in), both should work fine.

raing3

CNET_Richard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the information Rydian, at the moment I'm leaning towards the ASUS but not particularly happy with the resolution which is stated.

I might try contacting the seller to see if I can get any solid information from them.

Also, to add to the questions, the last PC game I played was Need for Speed: Most Wanted which didn't actually run too well on my current laptop. What games should I expect to be able to run on either of the laptops mentioned above (and at what resolutions)? (I have kept in mind that laptops aren't primarily designed for gaming, etc.)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For your needs, you really don't need such an expensive laptop. For software development, any CPU will do although the stronger it is, the faster it compiles. For "some gaming", all you need is a mid-range GPU unless there are specific games you are looking to play such as Battlefield 3, in which case you look for high end.

As an example, the laptop with the best specs I can find is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gamer-NP700G7C-S01US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006MX0WHU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1350805417&sr=1-4&keywords=Samsung+700
On the other hand, this one costs much less due to having a much more modest GPU: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP700Z5C-S01US-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B0083S3OWW/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1350805417&sr=1-5&keywords=Samsung+700

So what exactly are you looking for in a laptop to want to spend so much on it? Big screens and decent processors can be had under a grand, but you sacrifice the GPU for that which directly impacts gaming.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The first one is a little less than midrange as far as laptops are considered (around double to triple your old one's gaming ability), but the second one is pretty much top of the line as far as gaming laptops go (a bit over three times the gaming capability of the second one).

The first should play modern games on medium to medium-low settings, the second one should play most things on medium to high (depending highly on the game).

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I've got a Alienware M17x R4, with a 3610QM.
I must say, it's a fine cpu. Some benchmarks also place it above 2820/40's, so it has some serious muscles.
The gpu is questionable though (and I suppose the cooling in both isn't propper, as it will most likely trottle either the gpu or cpu when using both)

(for trotteling, search Clevo trotteling problem)

raing3

CNET_Richard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='DCG']: The Alienware looks a bit more on the expensive side of what I'm looking for.

@[member='Originality']: I'm aiming to spend around $1,400 - $1,800. Ultimately the primary purpose of my desired system will be for programming but if it can handle a good amount of modern gaming that would be preferable as well.

The Samsung NP700G7C looks quite interesting, sadly it doesn't seem like there are any Australian stores selling it. I contacted a couple of stores asking if they can get an Australian model in stock with Australian warranty in stock (... hopefully such a thing exists).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination