Hacking Buying a 128GB microSD. Recommendations?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,601
  • Replies 27

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just go for Sandisk's cheapest 128GB card, and format it to FAT32 with 64KB clusters. Then copy and paste the drive's contents from one drive to the other.

(Just don't copy the faded-out "System Volume Information" folder, it's useless for the new drive, and probably won't copy anyways. It's just stuff Windows needs, not the 3DS.)

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have SanDisk class 4 that says 15MB/s on it in my 2DS. I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm pretty sure most of it is marketing and there's a wide range of speeds.
It's a minimum speed, manufacturers are free to go higher.
And 15MB/s is a pretty standard read speed, even for class 2 cards. It's hard to find a card that's slower

Shigeru89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi. I've just ordered a SanDisk 128GB UltraA1 as it was suggested by @Sora Takihawa, for my (old) 2DS. Should I format it with 32KB or 64KB cluster size. Is there any lag with 32KB or graphic glitches with 64KB? What do you suggest?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Shigeru89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@Hayato213 @Turbocharger
Thanks for your replies , however I'm still a bit confused.
For 3DS/2DS use 32kb cluster.
You mean that with the old 2DS I should stick with 32KB? Are there any issues with 64KB cluster, particularly for the old 2DS/3DS? Shouldn't I follow @TurdPooCharger's suggestions?

You will need to test for GBA VC graphical glitch and full theme shuffling when choosing between 32 KB vs 64 KB cluster size:
  • Weird Problem W/ GBA Injects (VC on 3DS) [post #2]
I had already read your posts for the potential issues before posting. I just haven't understood if some the issues will always be present to some extent with a 128GB memory card or there are cards that work perfectly. For example, with 32KB cluster size, will the games always run slower, more or less, or there is a possibility to run as it would with a, let's say, 4GB card? As for the graphic glitches, it is clear that they are present only in some cases with 64KB. Since a lot of people use this particular card, it would be helpful if we knew that there is a card that with that particular configuration "just works perfectly".

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The advantage of using 64 KB cluster size is that it helps larger cards (128 GB and bigger) load a little faster. The drawback is that 64 KB cluster size can cause those issues, especially for 64 GB and smaller cards.

Every card is different. For 128 GB cards, it can go either way when using 32 KB or 64 KB.

Scenarios
  • (A) Both 32 KB and 64 KB works fine.
  • (B) 32 KB works fine but 64 KB causes problems.
  • (C) 64 KB works fine but 32 KB causes problems.
You would have to quadruple reformat when switching between the cluster sizes and testing for those bugs.

####

General Compatibility Chart
64 GB and smaller: use 32 KB cluster size
128 GB: double check. See if you can get away with 64 KB cluster, but revert back to 32 KB cluster if you can't.
200 GB and bigger: use 64 KB cluster size (32 KB will be dirt slow)

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Hayato213

dudephanith

Trophies
XP
Country
I have 2 Samsung and 1 Sandisk. All of them are 128GB. Quality the same; however, Samsung is a little cheaper.
Just Avoid Lexar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1