Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hanman said:
there is a modest chance that bushing will release this information, but only if/when Nintendo fixes the problem. of course, he may choose not to release it in any case. i am quite certain it will remain secret as long as it's a viable means to forward piracy on the Wii.
Congratulations, finally a sensible interpretation. You win a cookie.

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
Stalkid64 said:
hanman said:
there is a modest chance that bushing will release this information, but only if/when Nintendo fixes the problem. of course, he may choose not to release it in any case. i am quite certain it will remain secret as long as it's a viable means to forward piracy on the Wii.
Congratulations, finally a sensible interpretation. You win a cookie.

WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE

there are cookies being given out inthis thread for worthwile posts?

frankly, i feel that the whole "Backups" thing on the wii is complete BS. out of everyone here who has a modchip, please state if you have used it legally, or forever hold your peace. you may now kiss the bride

do doo do do do do do doo dodo dooo do do

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
NeSchn said:
Well if it is true, this sucks. I just installed a modchip yesterday... Damnit.
You did good.
grog.gif

Not to worry, it won't be that easy.
EVEN IF bushing would release this, (despite how unlikely it is), do you think that Nintendo would say "smart boy" and leave it?

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
NeSchn said:
You did good.
grog.gif

EVEN IF bushing would release this, (despite how unlikely it is), do you think that Nintendo would say "smart boy" and leave it?

Hell probably end up being employed by nintendo at this rate >_

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Jademalo said:
skawo96 said:
NeSchn said:
You did good.
grog.gif

Hell probably end up being employed by nintendo at this rate >_<
Then next system would be unhackable.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stalkid64 said:
HowardC said:
With the upmost respect to bushing, all of the current piracy methods (modchips, wads, ect) are either a direct or indirect result of him and team tweezers efforts and the release of their findings. Regardless of what he admits to publically, he must be ok with (and maybe even encourage?) piracy or else he would be so morally objective to it that he'd quit releasing info for fear of making things worse.

The purpose of his post was to cover his own ass and to give himself some sort of moral justification when (note I didn't say "if") he releases the findings that show how to load discs. It was a round-about way of saying: "If you don't contact me in 5 days I"m going to tell everybody about this." Now expecting a big company like nintendo to respond to an email from an average joe in less than a week is like expecting to get through the DMV in 5 minutes... it ain't gonna happen. So I can conclude that he has every intention to release the info either publically or indirectly to other hackers that will use the data for a disc loader.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I just mean to say that you guys should kick that pedastal out from under the guy and realize that he doesn't have any real moral highground over any of the other people working in the scene. He's bushing, he knows his stuff, so there is no question that he HAS found an exploit, so let's quit that argument right there. The exploit will get out as well, the question isn't if, it's when.

Expect to be able to play backups by August.
wink.gif
I'm not even going to waste more words than needed here. You're wrong.

Keep dreaming if you want to interpret a VERY clear post intended for Nintendo to mean something it doesn't. I'm telling you from an informed point of view it won't be made public by him.

Let's just put it this way... I may be wrong about bushings primary intentions, but i'm not about the rest.

Also if he, yourself or any of his associates think for a second that nintendo frequents his homepage enough (or even ever) so that they would see that post you are all living in a dream world. He isn't even a blip on Nintendo's radar. Quite frankly the big N is making money hand-over-fist primarily from hardware sales... I'm not even sure if they are concerned about piracy that much. It is this very fact that lead to my speculation because nobody in his position with any degree of modesty would think nintendo would see that post for a second. So yeah, I could be wrong about his intentions, but that would mean he's completely full of himself.
wink.gif

It's this very quality that'll lead to the leaked info. He'll talk about the exploit (either the actual exploit, or what lead to it's discovery) behind closed doors to enough people that it'll eventually get out. The very fact that he's told the world that there is a software method has ALREADY let it out, especially considering that he posted this just a few days after patchmii was released which lead any reasonable person to believe that the key is the ios.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're crazy if you think Nintendo doesn't visit that page.

How do you think they had been working on fixing the twilight hack since march? They just guessed that someone made a twilight hack?

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Bob Loblaw said:

How do you think they had been working on fixing the twilight hack since march? They just guessed that someone made a twilight hack?
yea on hackmii the team posted all there code i think, so all nintendo had to do was look at that code, then patch it. there just slow, or dont really care that much

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
NeSchn said:
You did good.
grog.gif

Oh they'll try to fix it... but thanks to patchmii, which I might add bushing himself made, we can now roll are own ios updates and remove offending ones, so it would be quite difficult for nintendo to do a unbreakable patch. Of course it wouldn't be impossible, but nintendo's slow as dirt response time coupled with their hap-hazard "fixes" tends to make me think if they make a fix it could be a long way off and probably not a very good one.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
HowardC said:
skawo96 said:
NeSchn said:
You did good.
grog.gif

Oh they'll try to fix it... but thanks to patchmii, which I might add bushing himself made, we can now roll are own ios updates and remove offending ones, so it would be quite difficult for nintendo to do a unbreakable patch. Of course it wouldn't be impossible, but nintendo's slow as dirt response time coupled with their hap-hazard "fixes" tends to make me think if they make a fix it could be a long way off and probably not a very good one.
Oh yeah, forgot abut PatchMii,. But QUOTE
quite difficult for nintendo to do a unbreakable patch. Of course it wouldn't be impossible,

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:

No I'm just smart.

How it typically happens is this:

1. Bushing releases something.
2. All the l33t sites make a huge post on their forums/homepages (like this one).
3. Eventually, the news gets so big that it hits a site like kotaku.com, which somebody at nintendo actually frequents.
4. The info gets spread through the proper channels from that person.
5. The engineers/programmers/whatever track the exploit down to his site.
6. THEN they read it and fix it.

So basically a huge site like kotaku.com (and others) posting the twilight hack on their front page less than 24 hours after it was released is why nintendo was working on it since march.

BUT the reason it blew up like that is because there was physical product for people to play with. If you'll notice subsequent announcments haven't hit the big sites and this might be why nintendo hasn't released any response to the acutal homebrew channel, or wad piracy.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HowardC said:
Let's just put it this way... I may be wrong about bushings primary intentions, but i'm not about the rest.

Also if he, yourself or any of his associates think for a second that nintendo frequents his homepage enough (or even ever) so that they would see that post you are all living in a dream world. He isn't even a blip on Nintendo's radar. Quite frankly the big N is making money hand-over-fist primarily from hardware sales... I'm not even sure if they are concerned about piracy that much. It is this very fact that lead to my speculation because nobody in his position with any degree of modesty would think nintendo would see that post for a second. So yeah, I could be wrong about his intentions, but that would mean he's completely full of himself.
wink.gif

It's this very quality that'll lead to the leaked info. He'll talk about the exploit (either the actual exploit, or what lead to it's discovery) behind closed doors to enough people that it'll eventually get out. The very fact that he's told the world that there is a software method has ALREADY let it out, especially considering that he posted this just a few days after patchmii was released which lead any reasonable person to believe that the key is the ios.

Your a complete idiot if you think any of the Big 3 make money on Hardware sales! You win an MASSIVE EPIC FAIL for that! All Big 3 LOSE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY on hardware sales, and make it up with SOFTWARE sales! Why do you think you see SO much (insert animal)z games?

Yea, why be concerned about piracy... that's why 3.3 blocked the TPhack... so people COULDN'T pirate! And trust me, Bushings is a HUGE Wario sized blip on their radar... they probably have a whole lawfirm working on how to sue this guy back to the stoneage to stop him from "understanding" their firmware. It very well may be just a 1 to a 0 that enables backups from loading in the IOS, but until it's released, we won't know. I really hope he doesn't release it until Nintendo doesn't give him an option. I like my consoles, and don't wanna have my Wii bricked by Nintendo because they had to rush a patch out!

And once more, HowardC, you win the MASSIVE EPIC FAIL for your retarded incoherent nonsense!

epic-fail.jpg

epic_fail.jpg

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HowardC said:
Bob Loblaw said:

No I'm just smart.

How it typically happens is this:

1. Bushing releases something.
2. All the l33t sites make a huge post on their forums/homepages (like this one).
3. Eventually, the news gets so big that it hits a site like kotaku.com, which somebody at nintendo actually frequents.
4. The info gets spread through the proper channels from that person.
5. The engineers/programmers/whatever track the exploit down to his site.
6. THEN they read it and fix it.

So basically a huge site like kotaku.com (and others) posting the twilight hack on their front page less than 24 hours after it was released is why nintendo was working on it since march.

BUT the reason it blew up like that is because there was physical product for people to play with. If you'll notice subsequent announcments haven't hit the big sites and this might be why nintendo hasn't released any response to the acutal homebrew channel, or wad piracy.

According to xaiNaix, Nintendo sent a cease and desist to their host due to the WAD Installer. This happened before any cracked Virtual Console or WiiWare games were released. I'm thinking that they definitely check sites like these.

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I think its great that the Wii homebrew scene is getting a good reputation by giving Nintendo a heads up on a possibly piracy method, I also thinks its not bushing's job. You reverse engineer a system, and then...you tell the Nintendo to patch it up? How is that moving forward? I understand their anti-piracy stance, but this is just weird. If someone figures it out, they figure it out, let them have that glory, you aren't paid by Nintendo to find these flaws. Bushing is possibly taking the glory away from someone who could have figured it out. Its cool you don't want to start piracy on the homebrew, but you have no rights to stop it to the point where you help patch everyone's system. Its like if Bushing released some homebrew that said "Oh yeah, it does awesome stuff....then after everyone installs it...oh an blocks piracy on your system...". I don't think people would be pleased. Its not exactly the same, but there is a small parallel that gets my point across.

Also, you guys mention IOS patching, but its not going to be that easy when you don't know the flaw. Sure, we can go back, but that doesn't mean much for fixing and enabling it if you don't know how what is was in the first place. Not saying that anyone else can find it but its possible that someone can. Bushing is a smart guy, and someone else could find it too , but it might take longer than you might think, after all, very few people took Wii hacking as far he did.

gambit420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Can someone sum things up for me, i dont understand whats so exciting.
There is a guy named bushing who might have found a security hole in the wii, which might could be used to run backups on an unmoded wii, which he never would release because he is antipiracy or say he is against piracy which could be used by everyone and their moms.
so he posts an email which he has sent to nintendo in which he states that he understands the architectur of the consol and want's to talk with an engineer.
i think ninty would never reply to this email, and if so we would never get notice of it.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
zidane_genome said:
Your a complete idiot if you think any of the Big 3 make money on Hardware sales!
I'm pretty sure Nintendo did?
blink.gif
Yeah, Microsoft loses a lot and Sony even more, but technology gets cheaper and the Wii hardware isn't that much more then a gamecube and certainly overpriced for what it delivers.
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Nintendo_will_...on_wii_hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.