Bushing *may* have found secruity flaw

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hippyharry, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2008
  1. hippyharry
    OP

Member hippyharry GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Interesting!

http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dear-nintendo/#more-63
    As part of our efforts to understand how the Wii works, we believe we
    have found a security issue that could allow pirated Wii games to be
    played on an unmodified Wii console.

I would like to speak to an engineer about this — please have one contact me at bushing (at) gmail.com.

Sincerely,
    bushing

P.S. Sorry for posting this publicly — I tried emailing you three times
    and never received a response. I am trying to follow the model set forth
    in http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html, so your timely response
    would be appreciated.

What do you all make of this then?

From Wiretrip.net.

This part is most interesting.

Not trying to stir stuff up here, but would Bushing actually reveal this? With the recent weeks going past, piracy has become a big topic on here with the posting of wads and Nintendo Signed Code, and there are those who are dead against it, what is going to happen in the next 5 days?!

EDIT: Apologies for my spelling of Security.

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    It sounds quite unbelievable actually.
    I think if this might come true, they also would have to make some sort of custom firmware, because no doubt that Nintendo will bomb us with Wii updates to prevent this.

3. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    well if bushing can find it so can anyone else, there are smarter people than bushing(as is shown when they fix his bugs n stuff) just a matter of time befor we see a *backup* loader, looks like bushing wants to keep it under wraps, maybe this will be good for homebrew business, i mean one of the wii god team finds a major flaw in there system and informs them about it, so they might think wow thanks welll feel free to make your homebrew channel
    one can hope right?

4. memorris

Newcomer memorris Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    5 days lets hope nintendo dose not see it .hehe

5. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Oh fuck yeah!

6. djcraze

Newcomer djcraze Advanced Member

United States
    *gah* I know ideas like this have come up several times on these forums, and 90% of the time (I'm not really keeping track), but most of the time it comes to the conclusion that the drive chip just doesn't allow regular DVDs.. So, in order for the Wii to read backup disks without a modchip someone would have to find a flaw in the DriveChip which I find highly unlikely... But, IMHO I'm still a n00b in these parts, so I could be horribly mistaken.

Just my 2¢

7. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Of course we'll never know what a flaw it is *waits for 3.4*

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Nintendo's protection against backup GC and Wii games, also had the side effect of preventing normal DVD file systems from being read for nearly any other purpose as well.

That's why an unmodded Wii won't currently read even a data disc in Wii mode. Let alone games or movies.

9. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Hm, we'll see, we'll see. I thought Bushing was firmly set against piracy though?

10. skawo96

United Kingdom
    That's why he's "emailing" Nintendo.

11. djcraze

Newcomer djcraze Advanced Member

United States
    And he is contacting Nintendo about it, so it appears he is still standing by it.

--edit--
    Ha, skawo96 took the words right out of my mouth.

12. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I hope this is true as i don't have the money to buy many wii games in Australia, and the ones i do own (about 5) i would like to "backup" so that they cant get damaged. I also cant get a modchip because my parents most likely wouldnt like the idea of opening up my wii and playing around inside it [​IMG] .

13. Jademalo

Member Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hmm..

If this is possible, and we can merge it with Gecko OS, we could probably make the equivelent of GCOS for the wii!

[​IMG]

After all, the gamecube, once we could run homebrew, we got backups working softmod style (ive heard) and all using acion replay

Wii has an even simpler method of booting homebrew, its so simple

If this works, the next step is to make a wii channel that will boot in gamecube mode, (and on an SD Gecko we could put the gamecube homebrew etc) and make the gamecube equivelent of the hombrew channel =] (so a loader to load GCOS)

This is gonna be interesting...

and Sir Fritz, i am in exactly the same situation as you >< im not even allowed a Wii Clip. and they dont need soldering! Ive even taken it apart to clean before (SSBB) but its still no. And i cant sneak one in, i dont have a debit card yet >

14. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    Yes. The Wii has two readmodes and in normal use the wii uses the mode where it only can read encrypted data.
    Now , waninko made his own IOS which enables the other mode , also know as the mode which reads the complete disk even if it's not encrypted.
    Only reason normal wiis with his IOS enabled don't run backups is that his IOS doesn NOT overwrite IOS 37 or any other Nintendo IOS. If that would change it COULD lead to backups running , I can't test it through. I hope it gets fixed soon , because I would rather NOT see the homebrew scene dying any soon...

Also , don't kill me if I'm talking shit , It's just how I understand this whole situation. [​IMG]

15. Stalkid64

Member Stalkid64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you think this is ever going to be made public, keep dreaming. Bushing wants Nintendo to contact him to discuss the matter, that is all.

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, even if Nintendo do patch it up now, someone could still patch back with PatchMii couldn't they?
    As long as there's a hole in the first place, we can exploit it surely.

Oh yeah, just realised what an idiot I am, he's contacting Nintendo. Well, now Bushing's let the cat out of the bag, he's gonna have no end of trouble with it, mark my words.

17. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Nintendo isn't as fast, since they have to make absolutely sure there's NO potential compatibility issues with any licensed games or accessories.

18. skawo96

United Kingdom
    So the only hope is that one game like Horzez will stop working after Nintendo patch this flaw.

19. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I just mean the testing period is shorter for homebrew.

20. PKGINGO

Member PKGINGO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Suppose Nintendo contacts Bushing? Then what... AFAIK we can't flash the DVD block, and if the ability to do so magically arrives by means of Nintendo, you can bet that it would render current mod chips kaput after the update but it could probably also be exploited to OUR advantage where we could allow the drive to read burned discs... I'm not for piracy, but this exploit seems specific to burned Wii games, not homebrew.

So considering all that, unless Nintendo recalls all Wiis... Someone can undo this patch that they will make.... Can't fix hardware remotely ya know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.