Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
why is it i post... and no one reads it... LOL

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/lgj-the-...act-and-gaming/

if a game has even 1 copyrighted music file it qualifies. speculate on other things such as games with official sound tracks, fan made vids, hell even adding a priated mp3 to your copy of gta on the xbox. you can now be blamed, caught, and have ANY electronic device taken that came into contact with the 1 mp3. it is no longer based on a set of mp3s or an "album."

and for the canada comment, yea we wouldn't be worried in the U.S. either if they were only *talking* about it. but its not talk its law. you would see know the difference if you lived here.

-another world

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i'm glad here in England nothing big has really happened about pirating.

Instead of going after people who download the songs/games/movies wouldnt they really be better off instead of investing all the money theyre going to waste on court cases and labour costs of prosecuting these people, they should invest it in catching scene groups? Surely, if they cut of the head then you'll know what will happen.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jaxxster said:
i'm glad here in England nothing big has really happened about pirating.

Instead of going after people who download the songs/games/movies wouldnt they really be better off instead of investing all the money theyre going to waste on court cases and labour costs of prosecuting these people, they should invest it in catching scene groups? Surely, if they cut of the head then you'll know what will happen.

nah, i think they should go and use the money to catch real crime not petty crime such as pirating, bush should go and use the money for the terrorist and stuff.

Medic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this will stop the million of people who pirate how? They will still pirate and not get caught.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With all these laws we have protecting the IP holders how about we get some laws protecting the consumers? There are far more of us than there are of them.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone simply blame Bush? This bill was passed by Republicans AND Democrats (and was even unanimous in the Senate). So don't be so quick to blame Bush for everything. It's pretty obvious the entire federal government was behind this.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
anti online poker legislation rider from conservative republicans
Why is that bad?

People who play poker online for money are wasting their lives and money because they're usually addicted. Sounds like they should have that law in the UK.

Why make a law against it? It's not addictive, it doesn't hurt anyone except the person doing it, and the government shouldn't get involved.

Mental addictions are the result of some people's weakness. Heroin is addicting. Poker isn't.

Also, less laws = good

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, it doesn't target Video Games...just music and movies. Though I don't download movies (unless you count anime) but I'm 16 which is considered a teen still
biggrin.gif

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raven Darkheart said:
be blame bush because he was in office when all this sit went down

9/11
the war in iraq
the financial meltdown
now this

By that logic, all those Democrats who voted for the war are accountable, Bill Clinton is accountable for not getting Bin Laden, and the financial meltdown can be blamed on the Democrats in Congress (especially Barney Frank and Chris Dodd).

See, I can play that game, too.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
What this act does is it brings the copyright controversy up one step in ridiculous since they've no resources to track every single person who makes a download and just publically arrest a few to scare the masses probably, until the whole bubble blows over and god knows what happens.

Listening to the music you like sounds like one of the most common sense things to do ever. It is so easy to download a song you want too. These two facts make man consider this as a gift from nature as fundamental as life, and law enforcement against it as comparable to the worst freedom-infringing examples that history can provide.

Historically, sooner or later the mass of people - be they peasants slaves or citizens in a communist country - have eventually risen and overthrown the wealthy few who thought they could exert whatever power they pleased. This is what will eventually happen with these copyright laws, be it ten twenty or fifty years from now, and the law of copyright will have to be reinvented.

Survival guidelines: sit back and relax, keep on downloading as you have been up til now, AND IF you somehow have the misfortune of one in a million of being targeted make it into the worst media scandal you possibly can, to rally people and possibly get them to react.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here in Canada we have bill C-61 which most Canadians thought was worse than anything found in the US.

And the Conservatives have claimed they plan to forge on with it if they get elected. It's all that gets talked about on any site that cares for discussion of the internet and services.

But I didn't expect the Americans to actually outdo us so soon.

Hmm you might as well arrest any American that still owns a home as they likely have a computer and internet access and chances of them having no illegal files is plenty small. You might even be able to fund the bail out with all the seized goods.

You Americans have my sympathies. Just another way the land of the Free isn't south of the border like it's claimed.

And no, I didn't vote for the Conservatives today that's for sure. Bush can have his bitch when he leaves office. I sure don't want Harper in my country.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
Why is that bad?

People who play poker online for money are wasting their lives and money because they're usually addicted. Sounds like they should have that law in the UK.

I knew a guy who literally made a living on online gambling. He wasn't addicted. He wasn't a fool. It was his job and he was supporting himself. It was crazy.

Gambling, as with most things, is not bad in itself. It is mentally addictive, yes, but almost everything is to a personality prone to it. It's peoples' inability to consume it in a mature manner that's the problem, and if you ban everything that's potentially addictive you ban a lot of things. Like video games.

And as for this law, one link says it is just for physical piracy and the other basically says men in black will knock down my door for downloading Britney Spears. Which is it?

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, this is what my brother does to get discounts at the movies, I look 12 but I'm 13.
smile.gif
And he keeps saying I'm 12 to pay a quarter less.
tongue.gif

I guess they won't target "twelve year olds" huh?
tongue.gif

But this stopping nothing.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those making comments to the effect "I am too young" keep in mind, if you are a minor, your parents are not.

They're going to fine someone in your home, and give someone jail time. And if that means your parents, and they just happen to be the ones that support you, yeah, they will in effect still be getting you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out