Lotti86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everybody!

Yesterday i bought my n3ds (9.9.0-26) but i wasn't aware about the update nag thing and now my n3ds is aware of a new update available and even with the DNS that blocks nintendo servers i can't load browserhax fast enough to run it before the *network error* appears.

So I was thinking about running the a web server locally with the browserhax code (taken from repos) to lowering download time (i successfully to loaded google homepage) but I think that while redirect nintendo's domain to 127.0.0.1 we have also to delay the DNS answer, simulating a slow DNS response for that domain.

I can manage the first task without problem (running local web server) but for the second point I need to improve my knowledge about DNS server.

So, I was wondering if some of you think that the added delay could be of any help (and I will start to figure out a way to do it)...

P.S.: I still don't know how n3ds treats update requests (it stores update availability in his memory but it seems that every time you fire up the browser it always do a check on nintendo's server), so if you have info about it, please share them.

Thank you for your contributes.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
How are you running a Web server on the 3DS since there's no way to daemonize services? Redirecting requests to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) is not the same as running a Web server. You would need to run a server (Apache, nginx, lighttpd, etc) on a computer on your LAN, and redirect requests to its IP (192.168.X.X). However, you'd also need a way to clone Nintendo's update servers, and this includes using their security certificates, which is impossible. Also, I wonder if redirecting requests to 0.0.0.0 (null) would produce a different effect since 127.0.0.1 is still an existing address that returns replies to requests.

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a new 3ds , your fine, Simply turn off the wifi on your system, scan the qr code to Browserhax and let it go to the browser, go back to the homemenu a turn back your wifi and restart your 3ds,as the homemenu appear rush to the browser and if it doesn't load quickly press refresh on the right

Lotti86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Joom with local web server I was meaning local on my home network, so as you stated, over a computer :)

Meanwhile, I successfully managed to load browserhax today... but something went wrong while downgrading :\ (softbrick). Thanks to everybody.

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am trying to get my n3ds on 9.9 launch the browserhax. I've already tried a bazillion times (with wifi on; reboot->rush into browser->click the bookmark) - nothing helps. I even had stopped getting the 032-1006 error, now it only says "The internet browser cannot be used at this time" and quits. That's with using 107.211.140.65 as DNS (is online and is blocking cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net).

I've tried to start a hot spot on my phone and putting it into a microwave (obviously without powering the oven on. Perfect faraday cage!). My thought was that it would be slow and unstable so it may drop DNS/connection requests to nintendo services, but all I got was same "browser cannot be used at this time".

I've tried using Charles proxy to throttle requests to cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net at like 1250ms ping @ 7kbit/s modem-like connection, but then nothing seems to open at all.
I've noticed that "cannot be used" error pops up after some timeout on cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net OR if the connection to it fails (try with a wrong SSL certificate/MITM = "cannot be used"). Also seems like before you get a response from cbvc - good or bad – your content (browserhax in my case) wouldn't start to load. This effectively kinda patches browserhax alltogether, doesn't it?..

I am desperate now. Seems like I've tried everything and still am out of luck. I have no access to oot, cubic ninja or any other ppl with hacked nds.
Any ideas?..

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Success story follows.

Here's the catch: once your 3ds knows the browser is out of date – there's no return. Only method to get rid of that "knowledge" is to format the console.

So here's an improvised instruction of how I got browserhax running from the first try. Make sure you have the Homebrew toolkit on your SD card (otherwise you're going to repeat all this more than once).

– Switch off your WiFi. Important.
– Format your console. This is essential. Go to the System settings and format it.
– Set it up from scratch. Make sure you have the correct date!
– When it will ask you to create a WiFi connection – say yes, but don't scan for existing networks, enter everything manually (otherwise it wouldn't let you set the DNS from the start).
– Don't forget to put DNS settings into your WiFi credentials – this is essential. First time you've going to connect it should be there already.
– Use following DNS: first: 107.211.140.65 second: 107.211.140.65 (they're same, yep)
– Get to the home screen, DO NOT start the browser.
– Switch off the WiFI. IMPORTANT!!!
– Open the browser, answer questions about google/yahoo
– Click onto the URL thingy, type the following: http://yls8.mtheall.com/browserhax_fright_tx3g.php – including the http:// part. Check every damn letter.
– Click go, get an error that WiFi is off. This is ok. Make sure your upper screen says "yls8.mtheall.com/..." as if it would open that page if the connection would be there.
– Click start at the bottom left, click "add to bookmarks".
– Go to home menu, turn on the WiFi.
– QUICKLY open the browser.
– Page with the browserhax should open right away.
– Boom, you're golden.

Reactions: DarkIrata

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like the tutorial but sadly it seems to not help if you format - the nag stays, I get an error about network environment.
They say the nag stays on old 3ds no matter what. My whole "tutorial" is for n3ds.
Also, try switching wifi off and init the save data in the browser (wifi off -> go browser -> settings -> erase all stuff). You'll have to re-add that page to the bookmarks tho.

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see a lot of misinformation being posted here, so to clear a few things up:
  • Once you get the browser update nag the first time, it saves that to your NAND and the nag sticks with you forever (or until you update)
  • Formatting won't help because the browser locks itself down on first launch until it can connect to Nintendo's servers to check the version
  • Recovery mode does not delete the browser nag
  • It is somehow possible to still get browserhax to run on a n3DS despite the nag, if you're fast enough
  • All of this info was found from one google search that pointed me to 3dbrew

chainsol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of misinformation being posted here, so to clear a few things up:
  • Once you get the browser update nag the first time, it saves that to your NAND and the nag sticks with you forever (or until you update)
  • Formatting won't help because the browser locks itself down on first launch until it can connect to Nintendo's servers to check the version
  • Recovery mode does not delete the browser nag
  • It is somehow possible to still get browserhax to run on a n3DS despite the nag, if you're fast enough
  • All of this info was found from one google search that pointed me to 3dbrew
Yeah, I got past the nag, with the DNS set to tubehax. :D

However I got a crash halfway through the downgrade - sadly.

loco365

Trophies
XP
If you have the legend of Zelda OoT, you can use OoT hax and install menu hax from there. OoT is much cheaper than a hardmod.
The problem with OoTHax is it's a second-degree haxx, meaning you need a way to put the hack on the cart in the first place. The best candidate is probably going to be Cubic Ninja if you can still find a cheap copy anywhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?