Homebrew WIP BrowseNX - Web Browser launcher (Source)

crc32

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A basic browser launcher which simply opens up the fully enabled web browser. By default you'll be greeted with the 4TU Dashboard.
Options at startup
  • Auto - Don't press anything, will send you to 4TU dash or your default url
  • Manual - Mash L to open a screen where you can enter a url to browse to manually
  • Set Default - Mash R to open a screen where you can enter a url as the new defaut url to browse to on startup
  • Reset Default - Mash X to clear whatever has been set as a default URL and set it back to the 4TU dash
If you have issues with security certificates, use this tool: https://github.com/thedax/NX-ntpc/releases (Thanks to @DigitalDNA for finding)
If you're being forced to update when opening the app, use a tool like GagOrder to disable the supernag on your console, this isn't the fault of the app it's just something currently unavoidable for any browser launching app.

The releases on Github now come pre-packaged with switch-sys-tweak which hides the supernag on supported CFWs

Disclaimer:
The NSP version is extremely likely to get you banned, the NRO version now functions just fine WITH VIDEO SUPPORT if you open it in hbmenu from a title instead of an applet (e.g. hold R on a game while opening)

See below for releases and sauce...

Release Page - https://github.com/crc-32/BrowseNX/releases

Release 0.4.0
  • Added support for 9.0.0 officially via building for latest libnx
  • Now using libnx implementation of web applet
  • Launching from an applet never worked and no longer needs to, so now errors and informs you how you can launch from a title
  • Updated switch-sys-tweak sysmodule to latest master build (still only used to remove supernag)

Release 0.3.1
NOTE: The title ID of switch-sys-tweaks (supernag patcher) has changed, before manually installing this release, please remove the folder (sdcard)/atmosphere/titles/01FF415446660000 to ensure future compatibility and avoid unnecessary crashes. Appstore release should do this automatically.
  • Since the detection for supernag seems to override the sysmodule, now checking if the sysmodule is running and if it is, ignoring the supernag state (this fixes the issue where despite the supernag being patched, BrowseNX would still complain)

Release 0.3.0
This was going to be 1.0.0 but it didn't feel right without fully fixing NRO support
  • Added initial NRO support
    • 'Initial' because it only works when hbloader is overriding a game or app, not gallery
    • Doesn't support html5 video playback
  • Added supernag contingency
    • App will now show an error telling you that the supernag is active and suggest how to remove it, stops accidental fw update via Nintendo error message and confusion
  • Added supernag fix
    • Each release will now come with a sysmodule pre-packaged which hides the supernag while CFW is active, atmosphere/fs_mitm CFW's only

Release 0.2.0
  • Fixed icon for all CFWs
  • Added a 'Default URL' option which can be set to change the automatically launched URL, stored at sdmc:/defUrl.txt (if there's no file it still goes to Fortheusers dash)
  • Improved error catching so a fatal error doesn't require you to reboot nearly as often, using the error applet you can get specific errors as well as often useful error codes, helps contributors for debugging
  • URL entry now checks for common issues with the URL before opening browser (which would fatally crash)

Release 0.1.1
  • Added an icon to the NSP! Although bear in mind it took its sweet time changing over in the home menu for me.

This project is affiliated with 4TU/Switchbru

Last edited by crc32,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A basic browser launcher which simply opens up the fully enabled web browser. Mash L as it opens to enter a URL, otherwise you'll be greeted with the 4TU Dashboard.

Disclaimer:
This is NSP only due to browser launching only working via a special NCA containing the whitelist. NSPs are extremely likely to get you banned at some point!

See below for releases and sauce...

Release Page - https://github.com/crc-32/BrowseNX/releases

This project is affiliated with 4TU/Switchbru
Please remove the COLOR tags around your black sentences. They are not readable for users (like me) using gbatemp's dark theme.

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Curious, what is this 4TU dashboard? :)
@crc32 already explained a little, but the 4TU (shorthand for ForTheUsers, you can find our website here: https://fortheusers.org/) Dashboard is the name for the page that is used for the SwitchBru DNS (more info: https://switchbru.com/dns/) and would be really beneficial for other pages to use on the Switch.
It's an easy starting point for web browsing without having normal browser navigation (e.g. URL/search bar, bookmarks) and allows people to easily navigate to any webpage or search Google, with the ability to save favorite pages too!
It also lets you add friends and send messages to people directly on the Switch, and in the next month or two will allow you to play a new type of browser game.
Hope that explanation made it a little more clear!
You might've heard of the SwitchBru DNS before anyway, but for future purposes on all other applications, it'll be referred to as the ForTheUsers Dashboard. :)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@crc32 already explained a little, but the 4TU (shorthand for ForTheUsers, you can find our website here: https://fortheusers.org/) Dashboard is the name for the page that is used for the SwitchBru DNS (more info: https://switchbru.com/dns/) and would be really beneficial for other pages to use on the Switch.
It's an easy starting point for web browsing without having normal browser navigation (e.g. URL/search bar, bookmarks) and allows people to easily navigate to any webpage or search Google, with the ability to save favorite pages too!
It also lets you add friends and send messages to people directly on the Switch, and in the next month or two will allow you to play a new type of browser game.
You might've heard of the SwitchBru DNS before anyway, but for future purposes on all other applications, it'll be referred to as the ForTheUsers Dashboard. :)
Oh my, sounds like a good "start page" then :)

crc32

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please remove the COLOR tags around your black sentences. They are not readable for users (like me) using gbatemp's dark theme.
Sorry about that, I can't at the moment as I can't edit the post due to the limitations of being a newcomer. (No links)

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@crc32 what do you need fixed? I added the URL earlier to your post, since It was legit and I feel you aren't here for malicious intendents.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Especially since you have a user account and messaging system (you still have it, don't you?) you should make that page available for PC users as well.
Or is it already? If yes, please tell me the url.
Would be cool to log in from PC and add a few fav pages to my profile rather than doing that on the Switch. :)
Also it would be cool if I could write with people there although I'm at work (aka not at my Switch).
Thinking of it: You should think about putting your messaging stuff into a native app (maybe even a service with overlay notifications if someone's writing while you're playing a game?) because there's no such a thing there, especially for banned users and I don't see apps like Telegram or LINE are getting any official NX ports at any point. :)

@crc32 what do you need fixed? I added the URL earlier to your post, since It was legit and I feel you aren't here for malicious intendents.
We're talking about the color=black (?) tags around black lines in the first post. They are invisible for dark theme users.
If the tags are removed, it's automatically black on the default (white) theme and white on the dark theme (which for example I am using).

Reactions: Ep8Script

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We're talking about the color=black (?) tags around black lines in the first post. They are invisible for dark theme users.
If the tags are removed, it's automatically black on the default (white) theme and white on the dark theme (which for example I am using).
There we go, did it help?

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Especially since you have a user account and messaging system (you still have it, don't you?) you should make that page available for PC users as well.
Or is it already? If yes, please tell me the url.
Would be cool to log in from PC and add a few fav pages to my profile rather than doing that on the Switch. :)
Also it would be cool if I could write with people there although I'm at work (aka not at my Switch).
Thinking of it: You should think about putting your messaging stuff into a native app (maybe even a service with overlay notifications if someone's writing while you're playing a game?) because there's no such a thing there, especially for banned users and I don't see apps like Telegram or LINE are getting any official NX ports at any point. :)

Next time you use the DNS, press +/- (for "Information") and view the URL - we don't tend to share it publically since it's not styled too well across all PCs, but it is doable! And you're right, an app like that would be pretty cool although I'm not sure who would do it.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There we go, did it help?
It did. ;)
Next time you use the DNS, press +/- (for "Information") and view the URL - we don't tend to share it publically since it's not styled too well across all PCs, but it is doable! And you're right, an app like that would be pretty cool although I'm not sure who would do it.
Thx for the hint. :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you create a .nro version? It's possible?
Read the disclaimer in the OP.
Disclaimer:
This is NSP only due to browser launching only working via a special NCA containing the whitelist. NSPs are extremely likely to get you banned at some point!

Reactions: crc32 and cucholix

crc32

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could you create a .nro version? It's possible?
Kind of, there might be some chance of full browser launching once it's been reverse engineered more (don't get your hopes up though), but other than that the only thing planned for NRO is to launch the normal wifi captive portal used by, for example, the SwitchBru DNS. It's as @Draxzelex says.

Reactions: cucholix

Admiral-Purple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of, there might be some chance of full browser launching once it's been reverse engineered more (don't get your hopes up though), but other than that the only thing planned for NRO is to launch the normal wifi captive portal used by, for example, the SwitchBru DNS. It's as @Draxzelex says.
So what’s the difference between this and the captive portal? I haven’t tried this yet but it seems to be just another way to launch the portal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over