Sonic0509

Sometimes I'm Maryushi3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello!
Some time ago I've dropped my DS Lite and small piece of plastic somewhere above the hinge (left to LEDs) fell of. From that time upper screen is so loose, so I can open DS holding it upside-down and it's suddenly closing all the time
angry.gif
. Also when upper screen is opened little too much (very, very liitle) or pushed right or left it gets little more dark-red'ish(but it's not always happening). It's mostly noticeable in hold-like-book DS games.

Pictures:

Normal
zdjcie009c.jpg
Red'ish
zdjcie008jb.jpg

Do i need to replace DS' shell, screen, ribbon cable or entire DS?

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My DS has a broken hinge too exposing the black cable inside-the screen wont stay upright when opened and the DS easily flips open now...I dont want to risk losing my DS but I dont want to shell out for a new one when the 3DS is right around the corner.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Can't really help you out much (never had this type of problem) but it sounds like the same sort of problems that the DSLite is famous for - even when you don't drop it.

In the past the casing of the DSLite - especially around the hinges - were prone to crack & break
I'm guessing that due to the casing by the hinge is broken - it is allowing the screen to 'twist' or 'go further back' & in doing so it COULD be that the ribbon cable that connects to the top screen is getting stretched & making a bad connection (IIRC it is only a 'push fit' ribbon cable) - hence the 'red tinge effect'

By replacing the case - you MAY prevent the screen from twisting/moving to much (& falling further back) & so prevent the red tinge from happening

If however replacing the case doesn't cure the problem - then it is most probably the ribbon cable has also been damaged somehow (maybe a hairline fracture in the track) - so you would then have to replace that

I've not replaced a case or done any repairs to my DSLite (other than solder a fine wire over one of the blown fuses), so don't know how easy it is to change a case/repair the ribbon cable but I guess there's bound to be videos on youtube that may show you how

It really depends if you feel confident enough doing the replacements or not

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
If however replacing the case doesn't cure the problem - then it is most probably the ribbon cable has also been damaged somehow (maybe a hairline fracture in the track) - so you would then have to replace that
Thats what i was going to say. There is a good chance that you damaged the ribbon cable or the connector to the mother board in the drop.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
there's probably a slight tear in the ribbon cable which is spreading apart when you open the screen therefore causing the problem. However since on the DS Lite the ribbon cable is part of the top screen you would have to replace the entire top screen which includes desoldering the speakers from the original screen and back onto the new screen along with replacing the entire casing which is a major pain if you do not know what you're doing. Plus the fact that a new screen will cost you around $15 to $20 and the casing will cost you around the same I'd say go pickup a used DS Lite on Craigslist for around $50.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte