PS1/2 Broken PS2 Slim disc drive?

Metotaku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live near a game store that occasionally sells broken consoles for around $5, and I'll buy them, repair them, and either sell or keep them. A while back I picked up a PS2 slim model (SCPH-75001) with a broken disc drive. I thought it was just a faulty laser, which I know is common in fat models (my fat had a bad laser at one point). I had it sitting there for quite a while (mainly because I didn't have a power supply and I was too lazy to get one), and today I found a power supply for a good price (at the same place even) and got to work on it. When I turned it on, I noticed something bizarre, the drive did absolutely nothing. I looked into it and found that the sensor for the drive cover can go bad easily. I read to add a lot of pressure to the rear sensor, while simultaneously pressing the front one. Nothing. Then I did some more reading and to summarize what I found... If the laser is bad, the motor won't spin, but if the motor is bad, the laser won't do anything. That left me VERY confused, it could be anything. I even read that it could be the pot causing it (i'd rather not mess with that). If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do, please tell, I would appreciate it.

Lockstar91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could be anything, that's why PS2 repairing was very expensive back in the day and you'd be better of buying a new console.

If you have the resources, your best bet is to fix everything 1 by 1 and see if it works after each fix, until you isolate the problem or problems.

Good luck :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta check the wattage really and buy GaN bricks