Hacking Bricked wii with bootmii v.9

RacerNel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bricked my wii when i installed the system update that came with mario and sonic at the olympic games. At first just the wii went to a black screen but i could still get to the home brew channel through bootmii. but the home brew channel wanted to be updated, so in hopes of fixing everything i let the home brew channel update. Now the home brew channel goes to a black screen as well.

I never made a nand back up before my wii bricked ( i am really regretting that now) but i do have a nand back of the current nand...

Is there any way to fix my wii with out repairing my nand with a hex editor? (if not how do i do it with a hex editor? ( I found some instructions but i think they are for a newer version of bootmii))

bootmii says the system menu is 3.2U...

any help would be appreciated?

wiihacker3000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well as i know , bootmii nand are made for specific wiis and cant be used for any other wii (unless this rule dosent apply for the newer then v0.3 bootmii)

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
you can try to convert a nand using betwiin to work on your wii, but it would just be much easier to use cboot2 and load up wad manager to reinstall a working system menu and corresponding ios.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
the old bootmii is trying to load the old homebrew channel (title=HAXX)

you updated your homebrew channel (new title = JODI)

you need to reinstall a newer version of bootmii which will load the new JODI title. (or you can install priiloader which can also forward you to the JODI title)

now I doubt u have any way of doing any of this because you cant access your system menu (to access an exploit) or your homebrew channel to re-run the hackmii installer.

Now since you have bootmii as boot2 but no nand back up (dumb move btw), you have 2 possible solutions (that I can think of off the top of my head, there may be more)

1) use cboot2 (google it to get the files you need and instructions on usage) to run the hackmii installer (or any binary/dol file you might need). This will allow u to install the new bootmii, which can access the new JODI title.

2) u can use betwiin (google it for files and instructions) to flash some1 elses nand dump to your wii, this is not guaranteed to work, but when you're researching it I'm sure you'll hear about all the risks

This will get u access to homebrew, I'm not sure what corrupted your system menu (u really didn't give us that much to go on). I would GUESS u could fix it by reinstalling your system menu, and the IOS your system menu uses (download them via nus downloader, pack them as a wad, and install it via wad manager)

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
From what I understand, you have Bootmii boot2?

If so, you can load any homebrew through it. However, the browser that I assume is to load homebrew didn't work on any of my SD cards, I had to use cBoot2 instead: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4FA9GVWP (this is a preinstalled package, so it doesn't need an installer like the normal cBoot2)
Just put the contents of sdroot onto the SD card you have bootmii on (it will replace bootmii, so backup the bootmii dir first) and replace the boot.dol with a homebrew of your choice (it MUST be a .dol) and it should load instead of bootmii the next time you turn on your wii
smile.gif

(Do note that the HackMii installer will not run this way - I tried, and got an error. However, if you can get the system menu unbricked updating Bootmii shouldn't be a problem)

What you could do is just use WAD manager (it's what comes with cBoot2, so no need to replace the boot.dol in that case) and attempt to reinstall the system menu/system menu IOS assuming that's what bricked your Wii. Am I correct in assuming that you installed an update for a different region? If so, reinstalling the system menu for your region should work
smile.gif
Otherwise, turning off the Wii in the middle of the update could possibly brick it too I guess, but no matter what, reinstalling the system menu won't make it worse, so it's worth a shot, just make sure you get the correct version for your region
tongue.gif

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
Jdbye said:
From what I understand, you have Bootmii boot2?

If so, you can load any homebrew through it. However, the browser that I assume is to load homebrew didn't work on any of my SD cards

no. it doesnt work that way. its for loading programs compiled to run under mini (which isnt much at this point in time).

and i assume he bricked because he downgraded to 3.2, then updated to 3.4 from the sonic and mario game, which bricked as he would still have a stub ios50.

RacerNel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed Jdbye's advice and my system booted up to the system menu!
I was able to go to the home brew channel but when I exited homebrew it went to a black screen again.
then i restarted it and the wad manager started up. I'm a little unsure of how to progress from here, should i use i program through the home brew channel or use the wad manager? if i need to use the wad manager, which ios do i load or unload?

thank you Jdbye for your advice.

I think I've almost fixed my wii but i dont want to do the wrong thing now and mess it up!

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
So far as I understand it - if you have an old copy of Bootmii/boot2 and your system has the new JODI HBC. All you need to do is 'prepare sd card' - since the code to launch HBC lives on SD. This shouldn't be a barrier - the worst case is you need another wii to prep the sd card (or to be able to grab the files from someone else).

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
if you have bootmii installed, use it to run the homebrew channel.

from there, reinstall your system menu.
He can't start HBC. He updated HBC, but not bootmii. Bootmii wants to load HAXX, he has JODI. He could try to replace the bootmii files with the ones from 0.4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1