Homebrew Question Bricked My Switch Can Someone Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blobdabman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, stuff on the Switch is hella-dangerous. You have to know what you're doing or it's very easy to break things. I don't know why people don't make nand backups when hacking their Switches because there's quite a few people who are now out $300.
Yeah, it is incredibly easy to brick your Switch. Honestly there should be a payload where you're forced to make a backup on first boot.
I'm pretty sure there's something similar to PozzNX but in NRO form but I'm not totally sure.

Ka_Ninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 300$ lesson learned my guy, I just know this much: initially when I hacked my switch I knew I would not be dibble dabbling inside of the system folders and ect. I was also informed that it was almost impossible to brick the switch. Therefore I didnt see relevancy in backing up my nand because I never intended to take the chance messing around in those folders. Little did I know, someone out there in the community is bent out on destroying random users consoles lol. Again, lesson learned. It'll never happen again.

Yeah, stuff on the Switch is hella-dangerous. You have to know what you're doing or it's very easy to break things. I don't know why people don't make nand backups when hacking their Switches because there's quite a few people who are now out $300.

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 300$ lesson learned my guy, I just know this much: initially when I hacked my switch I knew I would not be dibble dabbling inside of the system folders and ect. I was also informed that it was almost impossible to brick the switch. Therefore I didnt see relevancy in backing up my nand because I never intended to take the chance messing around in those folders. Little did I know, someone out there in the community is bent out on destroying random users consoles lol. Again, lesson learned. It'll never happen again.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but it's happened before in the Switch scene. I think the misunderstanding is that it's impossible to completely brick as long as you have a NAND backup. The RCM exploit used is VERY powerful and capable of fixing damn near anything short of physical damage. Homebrew apps and the like are given full control over everything. It's trivial to have them read, write or delete any data on the switch. It's really gross.

Ka_Ninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it sucks, but I have another I used solely for online gaming and then I hacked my girlfriends for her. Im just glad it happened before smash ultimate released and it happened when I just happened to have more than an extra 300 laying around. I solely wanted to mod my switch so I could mod smash bros ultimate when it releases. But I have just bought my new switch, and now my first question is.... how do I transfer the save data off of the old console?? Lmao I have nand backups the user partition also backed up

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but it's happened before in the Switch scene. I think the misunderstanding is that it's impossible to completely brick as long as you have a NAND backup. The RCM exploit used is VERY powerful and capable of fixing damn near anything short of physical damage. Homebrew apps and the like are given full control over everything. It's trivial to have them read, write or delete any data on the switch. It's really gross.

TheDanill

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
faced the same problem. There was a question, what will happen if you restore backup from another console on your own?

Sorry for my english

Last edited by TheDanill,

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it sucks, but I have another I used solely for online gaming and then I hacked my girlfriends for her. Im just glad it happened before smash ultimate released and it happened when I just happened to have more than an extra 300 laying around. I solely wanted to mod my switch so I could mod smash bros ultimate when it releases. But I have just bought my new switch, and now my first question is.... how do I transfer the save data off of the old console?? Lmao I have nand backups the user partition also backed up

That I don't know, sorry.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think the question does not change. Will I get an error when restoring? Just nothing will change?
I don't personally know since I've never done it, but I would assume that your switch would be just as bricked as before. I don't think it would boot to Horizon.

Deivy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats my chances to buy a nintendo switch from target right now, will be patched? please help

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the topic of NAND backups, it's enough to just have your SYSTEM partition backed up right?

Believe it or not, it doesn't look like the fake pikachu nsp even touches the system partition. You can find a whole list of all the partitions on the switch here SYSTEM is just one of ELEVEN partition on the Switch's NAND that you can mess up. The a corrupt USER partition is the easiest to recover from, system is probably a little more time consuming to recover from manually, but prodinfo and possibly prodinfof are impossible to recover from without a nand backup

OkazakiTheOtaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Believe it or not, it doesn't look like the fake pikachu nsp even touches the system partition. You can find a whole list of all the partitions on the switch here SYSTEM is just one of ELEVEN partition on the Switch's NAND that you can mess up. The a corrupt USER partition is the easiest to recover from, system is probably a little more time consuming to recover from manually, but prodinfo and possibly prodinfof are impossible to recover from without a nand backup
Bleh. So I just backed up my SYSTEM partition for nothing.
I have lots of NAND backups but in so many formats and no idea which is the best one to do.

I just did my BOOT0/1, PRODINFO, PRODINFOF too but I don't know if that's enough.

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bleh. So I just backed up my SYSTEM partition for nothing.
I have lots of NAND backups but in so many formats and no idea which is the best one to do.

I just did my BOOT0/1, PRODINFO, PRODINFOF too but I don't know if that's enough.

Depending on what tool you are using, it will change what your options are. If you are using hekate and choose "Backup eMMC RAW GPP" that is every partition on the Switch's nand getting backed up. "Backup eMMC SYS" will back up all partitions EXCEPT the USER partition, and "Backup eMMC USER" is ONLY the user parition. How you restore the backups also depends on what tool you're using whether it's hekate or hacdiscmount. Boot0/boot1 with Raw GPP, OR Boot0/Boot1 with eMMC SYS AND eMMC USER are considered full nand backups.

If you don't mind losing your save game data Boot0/Boot1 in addition to eMMC SYS should be enough to recover from everything.

Ka_Ninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt wanna wait a week :P

Why drop 300 when you can get a tablet only on eBay for $170? That’s how I get all my switches

So if it did not touch the system partition then it would be possible to recover this broken switch?? I may go ahead and return this one back to gamestop if so.. lol

OkazakiTheOtaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Depending on what tool you are using, it will change what your options are. If you are using hekate and choose "Backup eMMC RAW GPP" that is every partition on the Switch's nand getting backed up. "Backup eMMC SYS" will back up all partitions EXCEPT the USER partition, and "Backup eMMC USER" is ONLY the user parition. How you restore the backups also depends on what tool you're using whether it's hekate or hacdiscmount. Boot0/boot1 with Raw GPP, OR Boot0/Boot1 with eMMC SYS AND eMMC USER are considered full nand backups.

If you don't mind losing your save game data Boot0/Boot1 in addition to eMMC SYS should be enough to recover from everything.
I'm using Hekate. I don't really care that much about the game save data as I do frequent Checkpoint backups.
My SD card is FAT32 with around 32 GB of space so I don't think I can do a full backup.
I guess I'll do a eMMC SYS soon.

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if it did not touch the system partition then it would be possible to recover this broken switch?? I may go ahead and return this one back to gamestop if so.. lol

Just the opposite. If it DID mess up your system partition that's fixable, if it messed up your ProdInfo partition it is not. And all signs point to prodinfo.

Reactions: Ka_Ninja
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?