Hacking Bricked 3DS XL? HELP!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Look in the thread there is plenty of diagrams, and picture, it's usually best to have a good read up before hand and get any tips from in the thread there is often some nice tips to help resolve any problems and it's usually better to know the pit falls before you start soldering, from what I read a while back one of the points can be quite easily pulled off and there is very little trace available to solder to if this does happen, so best bet is to just give the thread a quick once over for example set ups and stuff

Good luck and hope you get it sorted

Pitou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Streeve,

Win32diskimager link

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Windows will see a "new" drive when your DS will be connected. Just start w32diskimager, choose the right drive and give it your NAND file. Btw, windows should even ask to "format" the drive! :)

if using linux dd:

dd if=NAND.bin of=/dev/sdb (change sdb for the device depending of what linux detected)

Pitou!

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And the fact that EMUnand was supposed to be sandboxed didn't really help at all.

Would you be able to track down as to how you would go about doing that? That would help alot.

Not really. Like I said, if someone else wants to forward it to them, then fine. As far as I am concerned, they just set me back 360 bucks in worst case scenario.
They should at least compensate me by reflashing my NAND for me, if anything. That would make up for it. I'm sure they read on here anyways.
i don't get why you dont want to contact gateway. worst case scenario they say that they arent refunding you. If you don't contact them you won't get anything for sure, so at least it is worth a try.

I agree with keyogre that is is a beta version you used, so you should be aware stuff like this could happen.
anyway, do you have some links where they show that 3ds links also have this problem?

Streeve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't get why you dont want to contact gateway. worst case scenario they say that they arent refunding you. If you don't contact them you won't get anything for sure, so at least it is worth a try.

I agree with keyogre that is is a beta version you used, so you should be aware stuff like this could happen.
anyway, do you have some links where they show that 3ds links also have this problem?

So where exactly would one go about to contact them regarding this issue? The site makes it clear that their emailadress will ignore technical and support questions.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So where exactly would one go about to contact them regarding this issue? The site makes it clear that their emailadress will ignore technical and support questions.
1 - to let them know there is a serious bug in their launcher, which could brick 3dss. so they can fix it and prevent other people from bricking their system

2- so you maybe get a refund. Right now you say you dont, but you didnt even try, so this is very unfair because they dont even know about your problem.

and their site says that specific support emails send to the sales address. Bu they give you a few other ways to contact them for this kind of problem

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you need help with soldering and especially if you're in Stockholm. Contact PSXCare and check specifically with a guy called Swizzy. That guy is a freaking master at soldering everything it seems.

Since if I understand correct is that you got a dump of your NAND already?

Streeve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1 - to let them know there is a serious bug in their launcher, which could brick 3dss. so they can fix it and prevent other people from bricking their system

2- so you maybe get a refund. Right now you say you dont, but you didnt even try, so this is very unfair because they dont even know about your problem.

and their site says that specific support emails send to the sales address. Bu they give you a few other ways to contact them for this kind of problem

I contacted them and made them aware of the bug. Let's see how this unfolds.

Reactions: ground

inian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
funny thing, just read this thread 30 minutes ago... my 3DS XL was turned off and charging.... then turned it on, chose DS profile - and surprise - blue screen with the same error codes!
just trying to run the exploit, nothing else... I have R4i gold deluxe btw, not Gateway.
So tomorrow NAND thread awaits me :)
If it ever comes back to life, certainly I'm not using again emuNAND :(

covtops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUYSSS The samething just happened to me!!!

using a r41 gold deluxe

all i did was do the profile exploit

it froze on mi so i held down the power button and i get the same error when i boot up!!!!! watch out!!!!

qUaK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dafuq is happening? : /

Is this happening only in the XL versions? Another question, before the BSOD did you guys messed around with other stuff besides playing a rom (ie. shop downloads, moving savegames, creating stuff that would require creating data in the nand (real or not) etc etc)?

Also, what emunand version were you using at the time? GW3DS 7.1? or lower?

Streeve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. Looks like i'm not alone then. And from what you guys just said, it seems it can happen at random.
Wonderful......:glare:

Streeve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Is this happening only in the XL versions? Another question, before the BSOD did you guys messed around with other stuff besides playing a rom (ie. shop downloads, moving savegames, creating stuff that would require creating data in the nand (real or not) etc etc)?

Like I stated in the lengthy post I did; No. No messing around. At all.

qUaK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Streeve, I read your post, about creating something about streetpass, and it makes sense what kyogre said, it might have created those files in the real nand somehow, skipping some step on the real nand, or adding data that does not belong in 4.4. Or maybe not, we don't know. I just wanted to know what the other guys were doing, it might be similar problems. And it might be a XL, or 7.1 emunand only thing.

inian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes i had emuNAND also, yesterday was going trough eshop, and downloaded youtube.... watched few trailers, and that's all. Today didn't do anything with emunand, just starting 3ds roms, it was working fine until that evening. So - i think it's random and it's got nothing to do with messing around... at least for R4
Firmware version was 4.5.0-9E

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It can't just happen at random. People with this issue did something unintentionally that screwed the original NAND of the System, but they encountered this problem after they needed to boot the system again, that's the case of the person who said his 3DS ran out of battery and he found this problem. What I mean is that apparently you won't notice this until you exit emuNAND.

covtops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, what emunand version were you using at the time? GW3DS 7.1? or lower?

I was using emunand, on 7.1 on a 3dsXL

I actually saw this topic before it bricked so i made a note not to go messing around with things in the settings.

It's all very strange, i just followed to usual bootup procedure. but it froze when loading the exploit like it some times does. but this time when i retarted it i got the error!! :(

good thing i got my nand backup but my 3ds is almost a weekold and im a little nervous about openeing. what should i do guys!!??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...