Gaming Breath of the Wild is a good game....

• Thread starter Deleted-401606
  • Start date
  • Views 7,270
  • Replies 96
  • Likes 4

Is BOTW better than majoras mask?

• yes

Votes: 101 79.5%
  • no

Votes: 26 20.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted-401606

OP
Then you should play the original OoT and MM which were locked at 20fps max, with dips at 10fps. Seriously, the simple fact that people imagine Nintendo paying reviewers kinda annoys me. That's stupid. Then why not paying everyone to give high grades to all consoles & games? --' Oh, and so far, I think this deserves minimum 8.5/10. I didn't see any major flaws yet that could justify a mark as low as 7. The framedrops are very rare, and happen only when there is a lot of grass. Aliasing on the Switch version is almost inexistant if you play on a screen that's not 77 inches large, seriously. And updates may continue to bring optimization (ie less framedrops) on the Switch version, because we know it is first a rushed port.

There is a HUGE difference between an 8-8.5 and a 9.8. Because not all games are worth spending the money to buy reviews,it is pretty common knowledge that game developers pay review websites lol.

Reactions: chartube12

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly, the lack of polish on the graphics/performance knocks it down a few points for me, I have very high expectations of a Zelda title, and this doesn't pass muster. The aliasing is horrid, so much shimmering, looks decent in still pictures, but in motion the aliasing is very distracting, in particular the grass is a grainy shimmering mess in motion.
The frame rate is unstable, drops to 20fps is unacceptable.

Gameplay is alright, the open world mission list concept is a little tired imho, if I wanted to play Borderlands or GTA I'd play them. I play zelda for action adventure, mystery, and dungeons, I don't want a mission list and map targets spelling everything out for me. I also really don't like having to do errands and chores for various NPCs just to move the story forward.

7/10 Which is the lowest I've ever given a Zelda title.
The graphics aside, you can get the action adventure and the mystery. Open up your map or the scope, look for something that seems interesting, and go there. That's what the game is built for. If you're only running from quest point to quest point, there's not much mystery or adventure.

Reactions: Yil

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read some 1 or 0 star reviews in meta critic. You'll see that they're mostly fanboys. Can't please everyone. This game is a masterpiece, and as someone who really enjoys discovering new things in games, this is extremely satisfying to pay.

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mmmh, dunno. M'sM is my favorite, but BotW are just purely awesome ! A good big 9 (or 10) /10. Well more 9 because no game are perfect and there's some little flaw (optimisation and not really intuitive control IMHO, + one or two other thing). If someone doesn't really like Open World, I guess I can give it 8 for those.

So I guess I'll put it the same for now. Maybe a tiny preference for M'sM because it's one of my first Zelda and I love the mechanics and atmosphere. But that's only because there's no "as good as" option :3

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who thinks ALTTP is hands down the best Zelda, this is definitely a good game. Not far enough in to say 10/10 yet, (Though a solid 8 or 9 is likely) but it already blows MM out of the water. MM is Zelda mediocrity at its finest. MM is certainly a good game, but not even close to top 5 Zelda games imho. This one very well could be.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The game has its issues. But it definitely deserves its 10 .
It is a breath of fresh air (pun intended), straying from its usual formula that was becoming stale and filled with handholding.

And the fact that it is actually difficult and challenging, the environment interacting with the player at all times (making the land of hyrule more alive), and has a major focus on survival (therefore actually having a sense of danger), definitely pleases me. I cannot tell how long it has been since an adventure game has been challenging from Nintendo.

Reactions: netovsk

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The user score average may have been brought down by users deliberately posting 0/10 reviews for the purpose of artificially deflating the overall ranking rather than providing an actual review, if this is to be believed. Wouldn't be surprised if most of them haven't even played the game before leaving their review.

Some of them even openly admit to not actually owning the game:

IMG_1339.jpg

(source)
Basically, don't take Internet reviews too seriously because often the overwhelmingly high or low scores are probably posted due to an alternative agenda rather than for the purpose of actual review. The only person who can definitively say if you'll enjoy something is yourself.

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Reactions: netovsk and henn64

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But I feel like nintendo payed off reviewers because there is such a big discrepancy between user reviews and critic reviews(for example metacritic gives it 98 and users 7.5) There is simply no way this game is better than Majoras Mask and only one point away from ocarina of time?No way. I have played Ocarina atleast 20-30 times in my lifetime and it is without a doubt the best zelda in the series. This game is good but honestly it doesn't seem like a 98 to me. To say this is the second best zelda is a travesty to be honest. What are your opinions gbatemp?

Do you take user reviews on meta seriously? LOL

Many people there haven't even played the game and are jealous it's not a poostation or xbox game

Reactions: NekoMichi

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The user score average may have been brought down by users deliberately posting 0/10 reviews for the purpose of artificially deflating the overall ranking rather than providing an actual review, if this is to be believed. Wouldn't be surprised if most of them haven't even played the game before leaving their review.
Basically, don't take Internet reviews too seriously because often the overwhelmingly high or low scores are probably posted due to an alternative agenda rather than for the purpose of actual review. The only person who can definitively say if you'll enjoy something is yourself.​

lol.png

Reactions: NekoMichi and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Do you take user reviews on meta seriously? LOL

Many people there haven't even played the game and are jealous it's not a poostation or xbox game

When I see anyone reference Metacritic I want to slam my head on my desk...

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, the lack of polish on the graphics/performance knocks it down a few points for me, I have very high expectations of a Zelda title, and this doesn't pass muster. The aliasing is horrid, so much shimmering, looks decent in still pictures, but in motion the aliasing is very distracting, in particular the grass is a grainy shimmering mess in motion.
The frame rate is unstable, drops to 20fps is unacceptable.

Gameplay is alright, the open world mission list concept is a little tired imho, if I wanted to play Borderlands or GTA I'd play them. I play zelda for action adventure, mystery, and dungeons, I don't want a mission list and map targets spelling everything out for me. I also really don't like having to do errands and chores for various NPCs just to move the story forward.

7/10 Which is the lowest I've ever given a Zelda title.
Great example of a user review that you no one should read.

Poor antialiasing? Apparently you never played Zelda or any other Nintendo game

5 year old hardware, newest game has dips to 20 fps : UNACCEPTABLE
PS4 does 20 fps in UC4: amazing, wow so graphics

Wants adventurism in open world: complains about side missions

I play zelda for action adventure, mystery, and dungeons
Try putting the disc in the console and play this game, because apparently you didn't. These you listed are games main features

LichbannMejolaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think the reviews are paid, but what I really think is that reviews overlook A LOT of problems in Nintendo games (Zelda mainly) when it comes to the problems.

Take Nier: Automata as an example. I remember reading a review (I think that it was IGN) where the only issue they say the game have is some "technical hiccups" (which compared to BOTW, runs like a dream). The final score: 8,9.

I mean, how the fuck can you give a 8,9 for a game because of "technical hiccups" and then give a perfect 10 to BOTW when it runs like absolute shit when there's more than 1 NPC or 2 houses in the screen?

Inuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As someone who thinks ALTTP is hands down the best Zelda, this is definitely a good game. Not far enough in to say 10/10 yet, (Though a solid 8 or 9 is likely) but it already blows MM out of the water. MM is Zelda mediocrity at its finest. MM is certainly a good game, but not even close to top 5 Zelda games imho. This one very well could be.
I strongly disagree, Majoras Mask is not only the Best Zelda for me, but the best game i have ever played in my entire life! Ok maybe in par with Wonder Boy In Monster Land for Arcade :P

Last edited by Inuk,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: