Break in to my apartment

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today my mom came home and called me to tell me our apartment was broken into.
They stole $8000 she was saving up for a new place to live, a bunch of my mom's jewelry, her social security card, and a credit card.
What'd they take from me? My laptop and maybe a PSP if i cant locate it.

Worst part is it was mostly my fault.
I had forgotten my keys at my mom's long time babysitting job on saturday and over the course of sunday and this morning, i kept forgetting to let her know.
EDIT:The only reason i managed to be at my mom's job in the first place is because she made me run halfway across the bronx to catch a train in 15 min to meet her at work.
i wouldve been home and with keys had that not happened. :End of edit
So this morning she wakes me up for school, then leaves for work. i again forget and leave the apartment, pulling the door closed since the knob can't be opened from the outside do to a safety lock.
sadly though that wasnt enough, as my mom came home at around 6 and immediately called me to say people had gotten in.

i immediately felt like total shit,
immediately got myself home. discovered they took my laptop, the one damn day i didnt bring it to school.
and broke down and cried some later on while the cops were here.

We live in the very partially unsafe part Bronx so its not like some amateur robbers came in left their prints on everything and what not.

So yea.
On my laptop i am now realizing i lost all my chrome bookmarks, tons of hw, and probably other stuff.
Oh, i lost a bunch of shit i was working on with my band, lyrics and such as im the singer, but they should hopefully have backups or something.
Probably not updated

Did i mention they either completely missed or didnt care about my Wii?
Yea they didnt trash my room at all, so they couldve missed it, and it has a skin on it, but they didnt touch my wii.
Much like Kotaku.com's Mike Fahey.

My day sucked hard. but life goes on i suppose

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not "partially" your fault, OP, it's entirely your fault. Accident or not. Man up, admit to your mistake and move on. There are more important things in life than your material possessions. Just be thankful nobody was home at the time of the break-in. It could have been much worse.

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I'm sorry, do you want me to return the stuff I couldn't sell?
as much as i appreciate your attempted humor to make me feel better, bad timing

QUOTE(m3rox @ May 10 2011, 12:38 AM) It's not "partially" your fault, OP, it's entirely your fault. Accident or not. Man up, admit to your mistake and move on. There are more important things in life than your material possessions. Just be thankful nobody was home at the time of the break-in. It could have been much worse.
yea i get you. i guess i should've explained why its partially my fault.
the only reason i managed to be at my mom's job in the first place is because she made me run halfway across the bronx to catch a train in 15 min to meet her at work. i wouldve been home and with keys had that not happened.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iggloovortex said:
_Chaz_ said:
I'm sorry, do you want me to return the stuff I couldn't sell?
as much as i appreciate your attempted humor to make me feel better, bad timing

QUOTE(m3rox @ May 10 2011, 12:38 AM) It's not "partially" your fault, OP, it's entirely your fault. Accident or not. Man up, admit to your mistake and move on. There are more important things in life than your material possessions. Just be thankful nobody was home at the time of the break-in. It could have been much worse.
yea i get you. i guess i should've explained why its partially my fault.
the only reason i managed to be at my mom's job in the first place is because she made me run halfway across the bronx to catch a train in 15 min to meet her at work. i wouldve been home and with keys had that not happened.

Ok, makes more sense now (being in a huge rush and all).

Still, nobody got hurt, and that's the main thing you should focus on.

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Next time, rig up a sensor and a machinegun. It will DEFINITELY help stop thieves.
I really do wish i could....

QUOTE(m3rox @ May 10 2011, 12:44 AM) Ok, makes more sense now (being in a huge rush and all).

yea i know. but still it sucks

EDIT: a nice post from Costello would be awesome. . .

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And none of your neighbors saw anything? That's terrible. I hate it when people steal. They don't have rights to things they've obtained. I hope everything turns out better man.
frown.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
WTF? aww.. I´m quite sorry for you... =(

at least your family members are fine.

At least your house is still there, and guess we everyday learn from harsh stuff, but try to don´t take it as your fault, I highly doubt you could have done something like this on purpose. k?

At least/the most important thing is:

Your family is fine now.

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coto said:
WTF? aww.. I´m quite sorry for you... =(

at least your family members are fine.

At least your house is still there, and guess we everyday learn from harsh stuff, but try to don´t take it as your fault, I highly doubt you could have done something like this on purpose. k?

At least/the most important thing is:

Your family is fine now.
thanks
smile.gif
i really appreciate it

EDIT: i feel like the people at the bottom who are reading and not replying are either A. slow readers B. not feeling like replying or C. are like me and open many tabs of threads and go through them one by one :---P

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Aww, tough luck man... but you say the door locked anyway when you went out, right? how would the keys have helped?
"pulling the door closed since the knob can't be opened from the outside do to a safety lock. "

Well, I guess one lesson from this would be not to save cash openly... you say they didn't trash your room? and I guess they wouldn't steal a simple DVD player? (they're cheap, too much trouble to steal)... Save the money inside a DVD player, that you don't use...

Cheer up, you still got a home, and still have your family
smile.gif

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Aww, tough luck man... but you say the door locked anyway when you went out, right? how would the keys have helped?
"pulling the door closed since the knob can't be opened from the outside do to a safety lock. "

Well, I guess one lesson from this would be not to save cash openly... you say they didn't trash your room? and I guess they wouldn't steal a simple DVD player? (they're cheap, too much trouble to steal)... Save the money inside a DVD player, that you don't use...

Cheer up, you still got a home, and still have your family
smile.gif
it only half locked. the deadbolt wasnt locked. which is the best one
and thanks a lot

EDIT: Can someone change the title of thread to "Break-in into My Apartment?"

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
iggloovortex said:
jurassicplayer said:
Next time, rig up a sensor and a machinegun. It will DEFINITELY help stop thieves.
I really do wish i could....

QUOTE(m3rox @ May 10 2011, 12:44 AM) Ok, makes more sense now (being in a huge rush and all).

yea i know. but still it sucks

I didn't steal your money
ohnoes.png

seriously, sucks to be you. I've never had my apartment robbed, but i dont have much valuable things at home anyway.

All I can say is NEVER keep such big amounts of cash. Heck, that's what banks are for!
They even give you money to keep it safe (thats called interests)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iggloovortex said:
Yea they didnt trash my room at all, so they couldve missed it, and it has a skin on it, but they didnt touch my wii.

LMFAO! That's the first thing that came to mind as I was reading this post.

Anyways, be thankful that neither of you guys were there when they came. Sorry for your loss brah :/

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
iggloovortex said:
I didn't steal your money
ohnoes.png

seriously, sucks to be you. I've never had my apartment robbed, but i dont have much valuable things at home anyway.

All I can say is NEVER keep such big amounts of cash. Heck, that's what banks are for!
They even give you money to keep it safe (thats called interests)

Yay its Costello! i feel better now. and yea i didnt even know my mom had that amount in the house.

ShadowSoldier said:
QUOTE(iggloovortex @ May 9 2011, 09:30 PM)

LMFAO! That's the first thing that came to mind as I was reading this post.

Anyways, be thankful that neither of you guys were there when they came. Sorry for your loss brah :/

yea got off lucky with my wii lol, thanks a lot

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iggloovortex said:
I...don't get the reference.

Saken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iggloovortex said:
Today my mom came home and called me to tell me our apartment was broken into.
They stole $8000 she was saving up for a new place to live, a bunch of my mom's jewelry, her social security card, and a credit card.
What'd they take from me? My laptop and maybe a PSP if i cant locate it.

Worst part is it was mostly my fault.
I had forgotten my keys at my mom's long time babysitting job on saturday and over the course of sunday and this morning, i kept forgetting to let her know.
EDIT:The only reason i managed to be at my mom's job in the first place is because she made me run halfway across the bronx to catch a train in 15 min to meet her at work.
i wouldve been home and with keys had that not happened. :End of edit
So this morning she wakes me up for school, then leaves for work. i again forget and leave the apartment, pulling the door closed since the knob can't be opened from the outside do to a safety lock.
sadly though that wasnt enough, as my mom came home at around 6 and immediately called me to say people had gotten in... blah blah

Forget to tell her you lost your keys? :|
How exactly do you forget something that important(telling her about it, not actually losing them, commonly misplaced item
tongue.gif
)?

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so whoever found your keys figured out where you lived and your family's schedules, and then robbed you? Or did someone actually BREAK IN to your apartment after you had lost your keys?

How does your mom asking you to meet her somewhere alleviate any of the blame on you for being careless and losing the keys?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY