Brazilian PS4 Hack Confirmed Real

ps4.png

A couple weeks ago, folks over at Wololo.net had discovered Brazilian mod chip stores offering pirated retail games for PS4 consoles. Most people cried false, and with some news trickling from Brazilian sources it's becoming more and more likely it's legitimate...and now, a Brazilian news site UOL Jogos, has confirmed the PS4 "hacks" are indeed real!

PLEASE NOTE: AT THIS TIME, THERE IS NO USER-AVAILABLE PS4 HACK. SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS ON HOW THIS "HACK" IS PERFORMED.
The process, as described by Brazilian modchip stores, is close to what we have explained before: a Dump of a “legit” console with a dozen games on it is performed, and copied to the target console. In addition to a copy of the hard drive, it is safe to assume a dump of the NAND/BIOS is performed as well. It seems the dump is performed with the help of a regular raspberry pi, as this had been implied the first time we uncovered this story.

Unfortunately, these methods don't break any encryption on the PS4, so at this time all that's allowed is purely pirated content, no homebrew. Definitely a shame, and it's almost a guarantee Sony will end up fixing these "hacks" soon, but at least it's a start.

:arrow:Source

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
And now we wait for the inevitable storm of threads asking, "HOW DO I DO DIS."

isn't probably just like the 3ds, where you use a raspberry to copy the nand and copy it to another ps4?

or; system transfer from one ps4 to another, keeping restoring the nand from the source system?

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This method isn't really brazilian. Truly, it was created by russians, and now brazilians learned how to do it, and are making money with PS4 piracy.

They mention that they found a PS4 hack tutorial from a russian website, and they simply translated instructions to portuguese by using Google Translate.

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda how the ViP 722 is done on Dish. They couldn't find a way around the encryption so they clone boxes - copying everything - Flash, Ram, EEps, and marry the HDD to the new unit and numbers (or clone the HDD). If they are just using a RPi then they are probably just dumping the Flash and copying it over, doesn't sound overly complicated. What a f'up if its that easy. But maybe it was a tad harder and they found a way to J-Tag the unit via processor and actually talk to the unit.. but who knows.

Reactions: Margen67 and ground

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Reports are saying that the publicly known method of doing this were fixed by 2.51. No telling yet if these Brazilians use the same method or a variation that's still functional.

Reactions: Margen67

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And seems like that is how they do that (just translated from Portuguese, sorry for any mistakes):

"Understand how the raspberry pi method works for PS4:
The 25 hack is real but it's not a jailbreak, but a real workaround, the brazilian "hackers" are using a very simple method since MSX, when only the EEPROM is being rewritten, without need for unencrypt something.

When Sony tried to guarantee the PS4 security, they forgot the hardlock inside CPU, the hashcode for the real BIOS that is the intention of don't allow that the information is changed, it's just execute a code in PS4 using raspberry that add the game info inside the chip.

So it's just fill the HDD with genuine games and write chip, then the console will recognize and run the game properly.

In other workds, this hack is just a ASM code exception for change "ROM/BIOS" using a raspberry pi, pretty simple.

the PI is just needed for allowing the blink/write/ontimeflash and bios simulation.

For the process you need 2 PS4:

1- Buy 1 or more PSN games and do the download on main PS4
2- Connect the secondary PS4 to PSN, login in the main PS4 account from primary PS4, enable the secondary PS4 and download the game
3- Write the NOR chip to secondary PS4 with Teensy++ or Pi (let's call that memory dump using ActivatedDMP)
4- Boot the secondary PS4, connect to PSN and disable the console
5- do the ActivatedDMP back to the nor of secondary PS4

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
PS4 is yet to have a stable quality library of games and this is what they're focusing on? Pirating PS4 games?

It just feels strange that they wouldn't do something better with it like allowing to play emulators, make the Blu-ray inside region free, perhaps allow in some way to play PS1 and PS2 games and so on.

So if someone hacked the Wii U I'd hope they would do something creative rather than just the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit