Brazilian PS4 Hack Confirmed Real

ps4.png

A couple weeks ago, folks over at Wololo.net had discovered Brazilian mod chip stores offering pirated retail games for PS4 consoles. Most people cried false, and with some news trickling from Brazilian sources it's becoming more and more likely it's legitimate...and now, a Brazilian news site UOL Jogos, has confirmed the PS4 "hacks" are indeed real!

PLEASE NOTE: AT THIS TIME, THERE IS NO USER-AVAILABLE PS4 HACK. SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS ON HOW THIS "HACK" IS PERFORMED.
The process, as described by Brazilian modchip stores, is close to what we have explained before: a Dump of a “legit” console with a dozen games on it is performed, and copied to the target console. In addition to a copy of the hard drive, it is safe to assume a dump of the NAND/BIOS is performed as well. It seems the dump is performed with the help of a regular raspberry pi, as this had been implied the first time we uncovered this story.

Unfortunately, these methods don't break any encryption on the PS4, so at this time all that's allowed is purely pirated content, no homebrew. Definitely a shame, and it's almost a guarantee Sony will end up fixing these "hacks" soon, but at least it's a start.

:arrow:Source

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 is yet to have a stable quality library of games and this is what they're focusing on? Pirating PS4 games?

It just feels strange that they wouldn't do something better with it like allowing to play emulators, make the Blu-ray inside region free, perhaps allow in some way to play PS1 and PS2 games and so on.

So if someone hacked the Wii U I'd hope they would do something creative rather than just the games.

Yeah I'm much more interested in hacking a console for the things it'll let me do aside from backups, especially for the Wii U: region free gaming, emulators where I can play using the gamepad, an HD video player, allowing two gamepads to connect to a Wii U (since it is possible, just not yet utilized) and all the fun things that could be done with that and homebrew (for example, imagine a gba emulator similar to little talked about gb4gb on the wii, where in this case you could load multiple gba games at once, one gamepad could for example get one Pokemon game and the other could get a different Pokemon game and you could have essentially huge GBAs that could "link up" to fight and trade wirelessly). There are a lot of possibilities.

I'd be interested in similar things for the PS4 as well, there really aren't yet any must have PS4 exclusive games available if you ask me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS4 is yet to have a stable quality library of games and this is what they're focusing on? Pirating PS4 games?

It just feels strange that they wouldn't do something better with it like allowing to play emulators, make the Blu-ray inside region free, perhaps allow in some way to play PS1 and PS2 games and so on.

So if someone hacked the Wii U I'd hope they would do something creative rather than just the games.

Allowing the pirating of games is what makes the money though.

Anyway I am surprised this worked -- even last time we had serials burned inside CPU dies and other things that would be bastard hard to replicate. Wonder if I will be reading a document in a few years and be having flashbacks to https://web.archive.org/web/2010061...es_Microsoft_Made_in_the_Xbox_Security_System

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allowing the pirating of games is what makes the money though.

Anyway I am surprised this worked -- even last time we had serials burned inside CPU dies and other things that would be bastard hard to replicate. Wonder if I will be reading a document in a few years and be having flashbacks to https://web.archive.org/web/2010061...es_Microsoft_Made_in_the_Xbox_Security_System

Wait who makes money from allowing the pirating of games? I suppose you might find a few people in our scene more inclined to buy the system if it's been hacked, so in this case, Sony might get a few more customers buying the PS4, but I don't think that really nets Sony a lot of money at the end of the day.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait who makes money from allowing the pirating of games? I suppose you might find a few people in our scene more inclined to buy the system if it's been hacked, so in this case, Sony might get a few more customers buying the PS4, but I don't think that really nets Sony a lot of money at the end of the day.
I think this point is more than only profit or lack of it because, how Sony can deliver security on their hardwares to developers if they miss something simple like that?

Reactions: Margen67

DelRio1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure, some people are find with just pirated games, but I, personally, would rather have homebrew stuff.

I mean, yeah free games, big deal, but the ability to put community made apps is what made me want to homebrew my first wii, so that's a dealbreaker for me.

D

Deleted User

sure, some people are find with just pirated games, but I, personally, would rather have homebrew stuff.

I mean, yeah free games, big deal, but the ability to put community made apps is what made me want to homebrew my first wii, so that's a dealbreaker for me.

I feel like this could be our gateway to PS4 homebrew.

D

Dork

Piracy is the only thing that matters when modding consoles today. Nobody really gives a shit about anything else.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Piracy is the only thing that matters when modding consoles today. Nobody really gives a shit about anything else.

That's the case for most people but there are also some who'd like it for the sake of making it region free because 3DS and Wii U are locked to US/UK/JP so tough luck trying to play a game from Japan in a US system or vice-versa. It's just so outdated of Nintendo to keep this practice.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how they achieved this. I haven't looked at PS4 RE info but I'm assuming there is a keystore in the CPU that locks in the hardware and encryption per console. They must have found a timing/RGH-esque attack that bypasses the check and allows the cloned hardware to look legit. This seems like it could possibly open the gateway to a XeLL-like loader.

Attachments

• giphy (2).gif
    77.3 KB · Views: 227

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[attachment]"giphy (2).gif"[/attachment]

I wonder how they achieved this. I haven't looked at PS4 RE info but I'm assuming there is a keystore in the CPU that locks in the hardware and encryption per console. They must have found a timing/RGH-esque attack that bypasses the check and allows the cloned hardware to look legit. This seems like it could possibly open the gateway to a XeLL-like loader.

But, why do you ask if you are the cracker?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Is homebrew that important these days? Going back to the days of the xbox they genuinely represented the best option for something to hook up to your TV, such a thing reasonably sticking around into the Wii era if you cared a bit about controllers. Today most android tablets have HDMI out, as do cheap PCs or a $20 graphics card for one, and there are any number of useful computing devices to stick under my TV, if my TV itself does not have some abilities in that area (not that I have seen a smartTV that I would care to use but hey).

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why would we care about somthing we can do on every other console, and PC 10x better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1