brawl or melee?

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You over exaggerated Brawl. It definitely is not "Push A to win". Skill is involved. Maybe not the technical degree of skill that you thrive in melee about, but skill nonetheless. As for being balanced, tournaments typically consisted of the same characters over and over. Brawl (especially now that Meta is banned) is more diverse with the character use. Heck, I use ZELDA and win, who is considered next to bottom.

Yes, Brawl is prettier, as an overall GAME though, it's better, in both of our opinions. Melee was certainly more competitive with the techniques available, but it was not entertaining save for those who could win tournaments (which, by the way, typically turn out to be the biggest douchebags I've ever encountered, which also detracts from the entertaiment).

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
You over exaggerated Brawl. It definitely is not "Push A to win". Skill is involved. Maybe not the technical degree of skill that you thrive in melee about, but skill nonetheless. As for being balanced, tournaments typically consisted of the same characters over and over. Brawl (especially now that Meta is banned) is more diverse with the character use. Heck, I use ZELDA and win, who is considered next to bottom.

Yes, Brawl is prettier, as an overall GAME though, it's better, in both of our opinions. Melee was certainly more competitive with the techniques available, but it was not entertaining save for those who could win tournaments (which, by the way, typically turn out to be the biggest douchebags I've ever encountered, which also detracts from the entertaiment).
Haha, my point was that there is less skill involved for Brawl. I'm not a douchebag, honest! :P

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Always prefered brawl, it was simply more fun. It had more character, more stages, more customizing options, the story mode being playable 2 player was awesome and honestly i cant find anything wrong with the game and yet people still whine about it not being like melee coz it was a more "serious" fighter. If i wanted to play a fighting game for its serious competative nature then ill go play street fighter or one of those type of games which are designed for that.

Honestly i got bored of melee because everytime i played it, it was all about winning and not about having fun, with brawl i really like the fact that when im playing with my family or my GF that they can beat me sometimes, hell i can enjoy playing it with them and more importently, they can enjoy playing it with me. Isnt that what smash brothers was all about? a fun fighting game to be played with a group of people?

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Haha, my point was that there is less skill involved for Brawl. I'm not a douchebag, honest! :P
Good ^^ Nothing else really needs to be said there then, so... PIE!
Honestly i got bored of melee because everytime i played it, it was all about winning and not about having fun, with brawl i really like the fact that when im playing with my family or my GF that they can beat me sometimes, hell i can enjoy playing it with them and more importently, they can enjoy playing it with me. Isnt that what smash brothers was all about? a fun fighting game to be played with a group of people?
No. I mean, Yes. I mean, depends on who you ask. But that's everything though. Games in and of itself could be political... okay, nevermind, they are just as bad as politics with the right set of people.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Always prefered brawl, it was simply more fun. It had more character, more stages, more customizing options, the story mode being playable 2 player was awesome and honestly i cant find anything wrong with the game and yet people still whine about it not being like melee coz it was a more "serious" fighter. If i wanted to play a fighting game for its serious competative nature then ill go play street fighter or one of those type of games which are designed for that.

That's a pro for Brawl. It has the fun factor. My brother can beat me in Brawl and it's not rage-inducing.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Melee kinda changed the series for the better, in fact Brawl kinda furthered melee's efforts and brought a whole truckload of new charecters and features and attracted more players, all in you gotta go...

cover_large.jpg

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd try playing the original SSB in mid-March (I remember playing it with some friends at my birthday party) and that game seriously sucks ass. It was great when it came out but Melee just completely punched it in the groin and Brawl even more so.

It has the worst balance of any game in the series, it's incredibly slow, the roster is incredibly limited, and there's not even like side-B attacks for Christ's sake. It's unbearable to play it in retrospect when there's Melee and Brawl to choose from.

I agree to an extent. SSBM is competitive. SSB is a party game. SSBB is much more serious. The way i see it.
I agree Brawl defeats Melee easily because of the roster and extra stuff but something about it just makes it feel...sluggish.
I feel like you could dash more better in Melee than in Brawl and...well I'm just gonna stop here. This is like a "Is there a God?" debate.

i will forever find SSB more fun and comically competitive and will have the most, and literally, "Smash" out of all the series for me.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I don't really see how people think SSB is balanced or competitive. People consider it "balanced" once you take away all the items and only play on Final Destination (a completely flat stage) and possibly ban certain characters. Which defeats the whole purpose of the game. That's like saying Street Fighter is "balanced" if everyone plays Ryu.

Plus I don't find Melee requiring more "skill" if the only things considered "skill" are abusing glitches and exploits. If all these glitches and exploits were meant to be fundamental mechanics, they would've remained in Brawl. Instead the developers realized these flaws and made the game, in fact, more balanced by eliminating stupid exploits. You complain about Meta Knight but how much damage does Jigglypuff do in Melee? They nerfed that at least.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, the dev team did recognize the fact that wavedashing would be possible in Melee, they just didn't bother actually removing it. Not that they recognized the amount it could be abused, I'm sure, but it was a glitch they didn't bother with in removing.

Luigipenguin

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OBJECTION!!!!! Brawl is not balanced in my opinion. WTF is with brawl cheap characters. Take it with Ike,sonic etc when i was fighting them i had no chance to even put a dent into them. Melee had no really cheap characters, and melee does take SKILL. I did Extreme in brawl. Bamm. I survived just doing two continues. Melee i did very hard and i did like 3-5 continues. See how much skill it takes to just kill a annoying enemy?

Reactions: 1 person

Luigipenguin

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd try playing the original SSB in mid-March (I remember playing it with some friends at my birthday party) and that game seriously sucks ass. It was great when it came out but Melee just completely punched it in the groin and Brawl even more so.

It has the worst balance of any game in the series, it's incredibly slow, the roster is incredibly limited, and there's not even like side-B attacks for Christ's sake. It's unbearable to play it in retrospect when there's Melee and Brawl to choose from.

I agree to an extent. SSBM is competitive. SSB is a party game. SSBB is much more serious. The way i see it.
I agree Brawl defeats Melee easily because of the roster and extra stuff but something about it just makes it feel...sluggish.
I feel like you could dash more better in Melee than in Brawl and...well I'm just gonna stop here. This is like a "Is there a God?" debate.

i will forever find SSB more fun and comically competitive and will have the most, and literally, "Smash" out of all the series for me.

Damn it girl Games are suppose to be fun. Not serious. When are they gonna learn that SSB games are supposed to be compettive

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OBJECTION!!!!! Brawl is not balanced in my opinion. WTF is with brawl cheap characters. Take it with Ike,sonic etc when i was fighting them i had no chance to even put a dent into them. Melee had no really cheap characters, and melee does take SKILL. I did Extreme in brawl. Bamm. I survived just doing two continues. Melee i did very hard and i did like 3-5 continues. See how much skill it takes to just kill a annoying enemy?

Damn it girl Games are suppose to be fun. Not serious. When are they gonna learn that SSB games are supposed to be compettive

1) Don't double post.
2) You obviously have not fought "real competitors" at tournaments, otherwise you'd understand how unbalanced Melee is.
3) Your second post is quite contradictory. Please refrain from arguing. You obviously can't win arguing against yourself even.

Yes, I do realize that comes off quite rude. No, I don't really care, because you yourself came in with that attitude.

Luigipenguin

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1) Don't double post.
2) You obviously have not fought "real competitors" at tournaments, otherwise you'd understand how unbalanced Melee is.
3) Your second post is quite contradictory. Please refrain from arguing. You obviously can't win arguing against yourself even.

Yes, I do realize that comes off quite rude. No, I don't really care, because you yourself came in with that attitude.

Actually i have

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you would understand the game is far less balanced in Melee if you truly have. In Melee, you practically have to use characters that are mid-high (and mid is even pushing it at times) to actually compete. In Brawl, you can use BOTTOM tier, and still place well. Again, I use Zelda. According to how tier rankings are, I shouldn't be able to place well, yet I consistently have. I may struggle a bit more because of some disadvantages, but I still can take most people just fine who use, say, Snake, or Marth.

If you fight anyone in Melee with a bottom tier character, and they're using high tier, you're screwed. End of story. There's only a few people who have expertised with low tier and done well in tourneys, but that's also because no one knows how to fight said characters at times.

EDIT: Clarified a bit more.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Then you would understand the game is far less balanced in Melee if you truly have. In Melee, you practically have to use characters that are mid-high (and mid is even pushing it at times) to actually compete. In Brawl, you can use BOTTOM tier, and still place well. Again, I use Zelda. According to how tier rankings are, I shouldn't be able to place well, yet I consistently have. I may struggle a bit more because of some disadvantages, but I still can take most people just fine who use, say, Snake, or Marth.

If you fight anyone in Melee with a bottom tier character, and they're using high tier, you're screwed. End of story. There's only a few people who have expertised with low tier and done well in tourneys, but that's also because no one knows how to fight said characters at times.

EDIT: Clarified a bit more.

This has to be the most biased comment i have seen in this thread. Brawl??? Balanced??? Wat??? You dare to call a game where there is a Character without a single bad matchup balanced??? Dont make me laugh.

EDIT: no, i found a more biased comment

Right, so indeed there may be people like that out there, but I do have to ask - did you just insult everyone who likes Melee more than Brawl just for that? Personally I can say that I prefer Melee to Brawl because I find it to be a more fun game, so does that make me retarded?

Opinions are nice, but please leave the insults out of it thanks.

I just don't see why people like Melee more than Brawl when Brawl practically plays the same, minus some additions (note, additions, not subtractions) and has better graphics, more characters, more stages, and generally just more stuff.

And that its a proof that you have no idea about what are you talking about.

But well, coming from the guy that believes Pokemon cannot be played competitively, its not unexpected.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that its a proof that you have no idea about what are you talking about.

But well, coming from the guy that believes Pokemon cannot be played competitively, its not unexpected.

My point about Pokemon is that there's like 600 Pokemon and only a handful are remotely usable. That's absolutely horrible competition.

SSB isn't even considered a fighting game on the levels of Street Fighter, BlazBlue, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc because it just isn't as competitive. The game seems to come down to eliminating all aspects of the game that make it unique and memorizing exploits and glitches to be considered "good" at the game.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not some hipster who thinks that only the older games are better or some idiot who thinks Super Smash Bros. is a highly competitive and balanced fighting game.
So just because something is older means that you can't like it more than newer games in the series? That's news to me.

I'm saying there's people who like older games purely because they're older even when newer ones are far superior.
That may be true, but to assume everyone who likes Brawl over Melee is an retro hipster isn't a good idea, especially after having played Project M (That's when you notice the real difference between the two). Besides, if that were the case, wouldn't most people be saying that SSB is the best? I just don't like the idea of being called a hipster because I like something older than the newest (or newer) installment(s) (Despite that I like both of these games equally, it was more of a generality).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hold that tiger lol