Brand new Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fuuuuuuuuu, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009

Brand new Wii by fuuuuuuuuu at 4:01 AM (1,103 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. fuuuuuuuuu
    OP

Newcomer fuuuuuuuuu Member

United States
    I bought a Wii last week from W***Mart and upgraded to the newest system version. After discovering that you guys have hacked this thing to pieces, I decided that I'd love the security of using backups via my thumb drive or dvd backups.

Are brand new Wii owners that have upgraded to 4.0 completely out of luck? I've installed nothing other than Nintendo's suggested update.

If so, maybe I can get an exchange (I've had it for a week, and have the receipts, the boxes, etc).

2. Stang

Member Stang GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You are Nintendo's cheap slut on 4.0. Nothing you can do for now, besides a return.

3. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yeah, you can either return it or wait for a new exploit that ought to be released with a program called BootMii. We just don't know exactly when that will be, though.

4. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I wish we could rate posts like you can on other boards, because you sir would get a 10.

5. dlxowhd

Member dlxowhd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i guess this was the first time you ever bought a console?
    here is a piece of advice you should take to your heart... aka #1 rule in console world:

NEVER update your firmware mindlessly like a zombie, unless you know what you are doing (like wanin's 4.0 upgrader).
    you see millions of people coming here or other hacking forums, crying about updating to the newest firmware then not being able to do anything.

6. fuuuuuuuuu
    OP

Newcomer fuuuuuuuuu Member

United States
    Not my first console. The reason for the carelessness was that this Wii wasn't for my personal gaming. It was mostly for the kids, as I use my PC for gaming. Now that I know what can be done with it, I'll have to see if I can start fresh. Hopefully WMart will exchange it, seeing as though Nintendo locked me into a system upgrade without the ability to downgrade. That should justify a return I think (although I'll need to come up with something better for the cashier).

7. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Really? Thats rule one? I always figured it was like rule 10. I always though rule one about buying a console was something like pay for it, don't leave it at the store you bought it, open the box, plug it in or something else. You can color me surprised.

8. Mrkinator

Member Mrkinator Neil Peart Wannabe

Canada
    hehe, win dino [​IMG]

9. LxTrix

Member LxTrix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    /thread ANSWERED

10. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Thanks man. I find it as important as ever for people to know the rules of gaming. [​IMG]

11. SonicMC

Newcomer SonicMC Member

United States
    I don't believe that not upgrading the firmware on a new console is rule number 1.

I believe rule number 1 is to research the console you are thinking about upgrading the firmware for.

For example I purchased my PS3 to be a mean lean Video player and nothing more. Does that mean I didn't research if anyone had broken into it first before upgrading my firmware... NO, of course I researched it and nothing seemed to warrant me to not upgrade my firmware. Of course I new if someone came out with something neat I would miss out, but I liked having more codecs availabe so updated anyway because this saved me time having to convert video files I wanted on my PS3.

Another example is when PSP game maverick hunter X MegaMAN game came out. I forgo the homebrew and installed the updated firmware because I really wanted to play that game... fortunately pandora battery came out and I fixed that mistake. But I really wanted to play that game at the time so I bought it and it was fun.

Read and then decide. Always read first. Even though you are losing out on cool stuff it may not matter in the long run.