Homebrew braindump - userland game dumping!

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know I'm assuming, but considering that user has no idea about commands and all that jazz, i'd wager she also doesn't know that ususal command.
You're right, I don't lol. Whenever I want to extract a romfs file I used romfs extractor that came with the pack I downloaded. I never used ctrtool.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Well, I downloaded Citra a while back, perhaps I'll give it a go on my laptop and use this to dump my cartridges and give them a try.

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, like I said, ctrtool is a program you run in the command line.

so you would do something like "ctrtool --exefs=..." in it.
Again just quoting to get your attention sorry, but I wanted to ask if you know of a program or something like that that can open .cxi files

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again just quoting to get your attention sorry, but I wanted to ask if you know of a program or something like that that can open .cxi files
the exact program I mentioned: ctrtool

you can use it to get the exefs/romfs from the .cxi. I don't know if there's any GUI programs to do that yet though.

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you can use it to get the exefs/romfs from the .cxi. I don't know if there's any GUI programs to do that yet though.
ok thanks! I wasn't completely aware of what you all were talking about then

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how exactly do I use it? when I open the zip and go to the ctrtool folder then I go to the Windows_x86_x64 then click the application it just says that my pc can't run this app. Am I doing something wrong?

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to run the ctrtool thing through the command that hiccup said but it just keeps saying this:
C:\Users\James>ctrtool -p --exefs=exefs.bin --romfs=romfs.bin software.cxi
'ctrtool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Any ideas?

Reactions: abtwitch

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never tried to use ctrtool so can't suggest specifics, you are changing "software.cxi" to the name of the cxi file braindump gave you right?

Worst comes to worst just download the alpha build of braindump, it's underneath the new release, and will give you the romfs you are used to.

edit - sorry that just gives you source, not a pre-compile, google braindump 0.0.1.

Last edited by Santaros,

abtwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've made some advancements!
What I entered in CP was this

\Users\abtwi\Desktop\Aaron\ctrtool.exe -p --exefs=exefs.bin --romfs=romfs.bin C:\Users\abtwi\Desktop\Aaron\000400000011c500.cxi

Make sure you put the path to the application and add the .exe extention. The code after that is the same until the .cxi file, which you also need the path to with the full file name.

It spat out this code: http://pastebin.com/BLeB5Pwt

then go straight into the user folder for your account (for me: \Users\abtwi) and the 2 files will be there!

Now I need to patch it... Hopefully it will work

UPDATE: I got it to work, the game launches perfectly!

Last edited by abtwitch,

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got my romfs file...but now I'm trying to figure out how to get the character models. I can't find the BCH files anywhere. -.-

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've made some advancements!
What I entered in CP was this

\Users\abtwi\Desktop\Aaron\ctrtool.exe -p --exefs=exefs.bin --romfs=romfs.bin C:\Users\abtwi\Desktop\Aaron\000400000011c500.cxi

Make sure you put the path to the application and add the .exe extention. The code after that is the same until the .cxi file, which you also need the path to with the full file name.

It spat out this code: http://pastebin.com/BLeB5Pwt

then go straight into the user folder for your account (for me: \Users\abtwi) and the 2 files will be there!

Now I need to patch it... Hopefully it will work

UPDATE: I got it to work, the game launches perfectly!
hey what is Aaron? I'm asking because abtwi is your user and I'm trying to replace Aaron and abtwi with what they'll be on my computer

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
hey what is Aaron? I'm asking because abtwi is your user and I'm trying to replace Aaron and abtwi with what they'll be on my computer

You don't need to worry about that part, it's only their computer. Just open up a command prompt [you can search for it down the bottom of the windows menu] from the Accessories directory, then go to the directory where you put ctrtool. It doesn't know how to find it otherwise, likewise unless you put the cxi file into that ctrtool directory, you would need to enter the path to it as in that example, or again it can't find it.

edit - sorry it sounds like you have to enter the path for the cxi to get it working properly. SO if for example you put the program and cxi in 'c:\ctrtool' you would enter:

cd\
dir ctrtool
ctrtool.exe -p --exefs=exefs.bin --romfs=romfs.bin c:\ctrtool\000400000011c500.cxi

Last edited by Santaros,

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to worry about that part, it's only their computer. Just open up a command prompt [you can search for it down the bottom of the windows menu] from the Accessories directory, then go to the directory where you put ctrtool. It doesn't know how to find it otherwise, likewise unless you put the cxi file into that ctrtool directory, you would need to enter the path to it as in that example, or again it can't find it.
so go into the folder where ctrtool is and then try the command?

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep that's right, assuming your cxi file is in the same directory and has the same name.
same name as what?

Yep that's right, assuming your cxi file is in the same directory and has the same name.
or can I just type my cxi's name in the place for it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu