Homebrew braindump - userland game dumping!

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
The same name as the cxi in the example '000400000011c500.cxi' braindump would name it differently depending on what game you are dumping.

Yeah you can put the cxi file anywhere you want as long as you enter the path to it.

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@217Nation Use 3DSExplorer. File > Open, choose the file, right-click the Romfs.bin next to ExHeader.bin in the bottom-left > Save..., choose where to save it, then press OK without typing anything. It's a lot easier than ctrtool.
it wont save if I don't name it and when I do name it it gives me an error

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You don't need to worry about that part, it's only their computer. Just open up a command prompt [you can search for it down the bottom of the windows menu] from the Accessories directory, then go to the directory where you put ctrtool. It doesn't know how to find it otherwise, likewise unless you put the cxi file into that ctrtool directory, you would need to enter the path to it as in that example, or again it can't find it.

edit - sorry it sounds like you have to enter the path for the cxi to get it working properly. SO if for example you put the program and cxi in 'c:\ctrtool' you would enter:

cd\
dir ctrtool
ctrtool.exe -p --exefs=exefs.bin --romfs=romfs.bin c:\ctrtool\000400000011c500.cxi
when I put in cd\ it hops to the next line so I can put in the next thing so I'm assuming that worked but when I put in dir ctrtool it says:
Volume in drive C is TI10692700I
Volume Serial Number is 12AB-1722

Directory of C:\
File Not Found

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_31122015_223058.png
    IMG_31122015_223058.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 372

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
it wont save if I don't name it and when I do name it it gives me an error

when I put in cd\ it hops to the next line so I can put in the next thing so I'm assuming that worked but when I put in dir ctrtool it says:
Volume in drive C is TI10692700I
Volume Serial Number is 12AB-1722

Directory of C:\
File Not Found

I'm assuming then that you didn't create a directory in c: called ctrtool [i.e. 'c:\ctrtool'] I just gave that as an example because it doesn't involve much typing, where did you extract ctrtool to? that is where you need to direct it.

At a guess you are trying to save 'romfs.bin' to a system directory, save it somewhere else like 'c:\' and see if it works, I just gave 3dsExplorer a shot and it worked fine for me.

Is that error a RAM or a 4gb limit thing?

Last edited by Santaros,

217Nation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming then that you didn't create a directory in c: called ctrtool [i.e. 'c:\ctrtool'] I just gave that as an example because it doesn't involve much typing, where did you extract ctrtool to? that is where you need to direct it.

At a guess you are trying to save 'romfs.bin' to a system directory, save it somewhere else like 'c:\' and see if it works, I just gave 3dsExplorer a shot and it worked fine for me.

Is that error a RAM or a 4gb limit thing? not sure, alternatively you could download this version of braindump and use it instead. This just straight dumps the exefs.bin and romfs.bin rather than creating a cxi.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pd6dwq9lg6dg26o/Braindump.rar
I'll try that thanks

neobrain

-
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Is that error a RAM or a 4gb limit thing? not sure, alternatively you could download this version of braindump and use it instead. This just straight dumps the exefs.bin and romfs.bin rather than creating a cxi.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pd6dwq9lg6dg26o/Braindump.rar

Hey, please don't distribute binaries without linking to a bit-perfect copy of the source code it was built from! I have released the project licensed under the GPL, hence this is a requirement for you to download and use braindump in the first place. Please upload the source code to GitHub (regardless how tiny the modifications are) and provide a link to the particular git commit that you created a binary from in your post (or better yet, just include the full source code in your .rar archive).

I'm sure this was just an oversight, but in case it wasn't - please don't make me regret releasing this tool by not following the license properly. I have spent tons of ours into this project, so it's not asking too much for you to spend a few minutes to upload the source.

Reactions: Vappy and ihaveahax

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, please don't distribute binaries without linking to a bit-perfect copy of the source code it was built from! I have released the project licensed under the GPL, hence this is a requirement for you to download and use braindump in the first place. Please upload the source code to GitHub (regardless how tiny the modifications are) and provide a link to the particular git commit that you created a binary from in your post (or better yet, just include the full source code in your .rar archive).

I'm sure this was just an oversight, but in case it wasn't - please don't make me regret releasing this tool by not following the license properly. I have spent tons of ours into this project, so it's not asking too much for you to spend a few minutes to upload the source.

Ah no worries. I'll remove the link, that is a straight copy of your earlier pre-release, the github link to the 0.0.1 version only supplies source not a build that I could see, hence why I resorted to dumping that.

Last edited by Santaros,

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
to people having trouble with ctrtool: please just look up command line basics. and i'm pretty sure 3dsexplorer hasn't been updated in ages, so don't trust it so much.

neobrain

-
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to boot the .cxi files w/o a cartridge in the 3DS? Total noob here

Nope. Even if it could, I would advice against throwing/giving away your physical cartridge, since the dump is lossy and may not include all information relevant to keep the game functional. If you want a mostly reliable dump, use uncart (albeit even then you should keep the cartridge).

Alright, thanks. Could that possibly be different in the future?

It can be improved, but ultimately won't change a lot.

LarBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Even if it could, I would advice against throwing/giving away your physical cartridge, since the dump is lossy and may not include all information relevant to keep the game functional. If you want a mostly reliable dump, use uncart (albeit even then you should keep the cartridge).

It can be improved, but ultimately won't change a lot.
Okay, thanks. Great work on this tool btw! Really cool =D

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
@neobrain, is there any possibility of a .cia version of this? I'm aware of the alternatives but your first post has already covered the advantages of your tool :P

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't creation of CIAs be quicker on a more powerful machine than the 3DS, like a PC? Unless there is some need for the 3DS's de/encryption stuff.

neobrain

-
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@neobrain, is there any possibility of a .cia version of this? I'm aware of the alternatives but your first post has already covered the advantages of your tool :P

Please don't tag me in my own thread (actually, please don't tag me at all). Inbox spam won't get people any more attention.

Last edited by neobrain,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.