Bought a faulty 2DS with faulty buttons

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Harsky, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I bought a cheap faulty 2DS console with the intention of trying to fix it up. The condition is near mint but the problem is that the touchscreen AND the buttons don't work. Microphone works though but when I opened it up, I was expecting the worst... and there's no sign of any liquid damage at all which makes me wonder if this is an internal problem?

2. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    the simplest problem for non working buttons is the touchscreen is damaged , just reassemble your 2ds without connecting the touchscreen ribon , your buttons should work

cearp likes this.
  3. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Which ribbon is it that controls the touch screen?

4. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    p13
    if you remove any of the other ribons , you 2ds will power on and power off after 2 or 3 seconds
    p13 is at the bottom of the board , near the audio jack

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Attached Files:

Harsky likes this.
  5. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Thank you so much! Now I can use the face buttons to the settings! I guess it's now a case of waiting until I find a new touchscreen.

EDIT: I cleaned the ribbon for P13. Now everything works fine.

Last edited by Harsky, Mar 1, 2016
  6. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    sometimes , just small bits of bread can slide between the touchscreen and the shell , and then then the touchscreen stay pressed all the time and prevents buttons from working normally
    so just disassembling the touchscreen and cleaning it can make thing works again correctly

7. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Unfortunately it was too soon to celebrate. The ABXY buttons work and SOMETIMES the touchscreen works but the circle and D pad are mostly dead until I press REALLY hard on the plastic front to the left of the touchscreen. No amount of tightening the screws on the motherboard fixed it so I'm just going to spend the £3 and buy a new digitizer.

Like you mentioned, unclipping the P13 ribbon makes everything work perfectly fine (minus touchscreen) so I'm hoping that's the route to go.

The funny thing was that when I opened up and reached the touchscreen, it was super clean as well but I'll wait and see when the spare part arrives.