Borderlands 2 Coming To PS Vita!

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Aug 20, 2013.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    [​IMG]

Sony just announced at Gamescom 2013 that Borderlands 2 is coming to PS Vita!

Sakitoshi likes this.
  2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    When they talked about a "Borderlands game for the Vita" I was kinda hoping for like an original game tailored for the handheld. But hey that'd take effort why do that when you can port this.

3. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    i hope a Dead space game get announced for it

4. Kuragari Ryo

Kuragari Ryo Demon Fox

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The House Within the Reflection, Ryo Manor
    I am excite.

5. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
  6. LAA

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    This was easily the best news of the show for me.
    Can't wait to see more of it!
    I'm really hoping this will push other developers to work on Vita.

7. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I'll buy it depending on the answer to one simple question.

Will I have to buy the DLC again?

8. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Now this is something I can be excited for.

9. Newoo

Newoo Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    United States
    Played the xbox version a lot but will definitely be getting it for the vita. Nothing like borderlands on the go.

10. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    EA killed the IP

11. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    did they really kill it?
    where did you read/hear that?

12. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Some news source some time ago, just after conformation of Dead Space 3 failure. They brought it upon themselfes.

13. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    borderlands2 gets a vita release and not a wii u release? oh well, there's always my modded ps3.

14. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I would get it, but I stopped playing Borderlands 2 after they nerfed the Bee Shield+Conference Call combo.

I had 2 Conference Calls I would use in Berserker mode along with the Bee Shield.

The reason I used this combo was simple, I only play by myself and people like me are punished for doing so by not being able to get certain items/weapons that you can only get via the impossible for 1 player bosses.

in my current state, I can no longer kill those bosses my myself anymore, and thats when I decided I have put enough time into BL2 (I have ~148 hours according to Steam) and it was time to move on to other games.

I played the game using a GTX 470 and a GT545 as a dedicated PhysX card, so I played the whole game with the really cool PhysX effects turned on, at a enjoyable framerate (40-60 depending on area). since the Vita is a console and also lacks an Nvidia GPU, it will not have those cool effects and will be stuck with the boring normal effects.

after playing the poorly done Vita port of Jak and Daxter, I am skeptical that the Vita port of BL2 will be able to keep the framerate at an playable level (at least 30+).they are by a different developer but still, it shows what can happen when a developer does a poor job optimizing the port for the Vita's hardware.

it is possible to make Vita games that can do this. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time did. the game played like a console game,which is what the Vita was designed for, to have a console quality experience in a portable form factor.

15. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Honestly, that seems surprising to me too.

I mean, could you imagine 5 people playing online? 2 people locally playing with one using the gamepad, and 3 more over the internet?

I personally think it would work the best on the WiiU, but hey, that's just my two cents, and in this day and age, 2 cents isn't worth shit.

16. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  18. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    That looks so damn sexy. I already have it on PC, 360, and PS3... Time to get a Vita. It has cross-save with PS3, too, which is fucking awesome since restarting all the time is tiring.
    (I keep switching platforms and with that I get a new BL2. I'm staying with PS3 from now on though.)

Are the enemies disappearing immediately after death in that footage? o.0

chavosaur likes this.
  19. WiiCube_2013
    This message by WiiCube_2013 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 20, 2014, Reason: flamebait.
    Mar 20, 2014
  20. chavosaur
    This message by chavosaur has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 20, 2014, Reason: reply to trash.
    Mar 20, 2014
  21. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Right ^

It sure as hell won't run on a 3DS. And everything else already has BL2 on it.

22. Hells Malice
    This message by Hells Malice has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 20, 2014, Reason: reply to trash.
    Mar 20, 2014
  23. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    After checking out actual footage of the game, I'm not seeing a number of the things that some other articles complained about. Of course, there was one article I read where half of the complaints seemed to stem from the fact that the tester wasn't used to holding a Vita and thus ended up pretty much continuously abusing the back touch pad functions. What wasn't mentioned was whether or not controls could be mapped differently, which I would imagine is an option. As for the load times, well, they aren't great, but I could live with them if I had to. I would prefer it if they were cut down to <10 seconds, but if not, well, the load times on Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time for the Vita were awful, and I had no issues with them.

Another thing I didn't notice was the apparently terrible slowdown when only facing even a couple of enemies. I honestly don't understand where a number of the complaints came from. The game looks good, and it seems to play well. As for the enemies disappearing after being killed: they're exploding and their loot is dropping. This was likely a concession made to lower the number of unnecessary objects on the screen and in the environment at one time. In the end, it won't make a major difference if that even ends up being the case in the final version.

For any complaints about this version, do remember: we're still a couple of months before the intended release. They still have time to smooth the edges, and I'm sure they will.

As for the footage being on a debug Vita: is there a tech difference between the two, and does it really matter in the long run?

chavosaur likes this.