Hacking BootMii + Virgin 4.0E wii HBC install.

desh_thiere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I am going to a mates place this weekend to softmod his virgin 4.0E wii. I have already updated mine to 4.0E using the hacked methods so I can still install VC and wiiware wads and installed cIOS rev10 etc. Basically I am not a total noob at this, but I still need a good deal of help if anyone can provide it.

Anyway, I will lay out some questions in easy steps
smile.gif
if anyone could answer them, it would be fantastic.

1) I want to use the virgin 4.0E updating method to get my friends wii homebrew enabled, install the HBC and then install cIOS rev10 and the USB loader.

2) Before I do this, I want to use Bootmii to backup his NAND in case something goes wrong and I brick his wii (if I do, he might just kill me)

3) I can follow all of the instructions in this guide http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...&p=327#p327 to make his wii homebrew ready, but before I do that I want to use bootmii to backup his NAND. Also, is that the best guide to follow for a virgin 4.0 hbc update? There seem to be so many of the bastards floating around these days.

4) Basically, could anyone point me in the direction (or write me) a good guide on how to use Bootmii to backup his NAND for brick protection. I have trawled the bootmii thread and have just been getting progressively more confused. He won't use Bootmii for booting straight into the HBC or anything, he just wants to ensure that I don't brick his wii and Bootmii seems like a good way to do that.

If anyone could help me I would be greatly appreciatve.

On a final note, if that guide is 100% foolproof (if I follow it to the letter) and I won't brick his wii, should I even bother with Bootmii if it is not going to be used for anything else?

Thanks guys, I have never failed to find a good answer on this board.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is run the HackMii installer to put BootMii and the HBC on his Wii using Bannerbomb, go into the NAND backup option, and there you go. There's not much to it.

Just be aware that if he doesn't have a vulnerable boot2 then BootMii won't provide him a great deal of brick protection.

desh_thiere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly do you mean by vulnerable boot2? His wii is a launch model wii if that makes any difference. And can I just install bootmii straight up on a virgin 4.0E wii through bannerbomb and then go through the steps in the virgin 4.0E update guide to install cIOS and the rest of the IOS stuff I need to make his wii homebrew capable?

I guess what I am concerned about is if the bootmii install on a virgin wii will somehow make it more difficult for me to install the rest of the stuff I need to install through bannerbomb to get cIOS on there for the USB loader and such.

Thanks, I know these are noobish questions, but the problem with trawling threads is that you get 50 different conflicting responses.

WiiLee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if bought during launch or before mid 2008 he is ok to install bootmii as boot2 with full brick protection

desh_thiere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok then, thanks, I will test it out tonight. Installing bootmii before I follow the virgin 4.0e update guide to get the HBC on there will not cause issues will it? Also, if I install bootmii, will it ALWAYS boot into bootmii before the system menu, because I know he probably won't want that.

desh_thiere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, it is nice to find people who are willing to help without flaming me for asking stupid questions, much appreciated.

As for Bootmii files on the SD card, I know it uses config files, similar to USB loader that you need to edit to allow it to do different things, like auto boot, or not auto boot. Is there a config guide to teach you how to use the commands in the config or is that kind of stuff included int he Bootmii readme or documentation? Unfortunately as I am at work currently I can't download it myself to find out. I would assume there would be a particular file strucure needed for the files on the SD and particular things written in the config files, which I am in the dark about. Also, if you backup your NAND onto an SD card, can that SD card then be used to store the bootmii config files also? Or once you have done a NAND backup, it is simply a case of removing that SD card and using another in your wii?

I have still been trawling the bootmii thread, but right now it appears to be degenerating into a hatefilled rant about noobs, so I think i will stay out of posting in there. Call me old, but when I used to use forums in the early days, they were all about helping newbies learn, seems it is not the case anymore.

Thanks again guys, you have been very helpful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1