Hacking Bootmii OSX

SonicMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking how bootmii unlocks the entire system to developers. I then thought about osx and that it may be able to use the extra resources. I then looked at each of the specs and rerealized that it didn't look possible but,I thought it was interesting how close the wii actually looks and takes after a steve job's mac mini. A nice pretty little box with ports, a cpu, a video card and ect. Then if we look at the requirements for running 10.4 and compare them to the wii. It looks like we are only missing like a HDD more ram, and the technicality of a of a Firewire port. It always makes me wonder if OSX could be shaved down enough to run on a external HDD and use a Flash stick as ram. I don't really think it is real possible or probable and it could be done it would likely be slow. I still thought it was interesting to think about. I Also looked at the PS3 technical standpoint if the PS3 were to ever get hacked to allow full use of the system it would be a more likely candidate. Since it has the HDD and barely enough ram and is only lacking the firewire port. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else thought that the wii or PS3 could be hacked to run a modified version of OSX off of usb using a Highspeed flash drive as ram? Listed below are the min requirements for 10.4 and the tech specs for processor and memory from Wii and PS3. I am probably bringing back a old thread but I do recognize that with bootmii we have entire access to the wii and we never had that before to my knowledge.

10.4 Power PC requirements. From wikipedia

The system requirements of the PowerPC edition are:[6]

* A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor running at 333 MHz or more
* Built-in FireWire
* At least 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or 1 GB recommended)
* At least 3 GB of available hard disk space; 4 GB of disk space including the Xcode 2 Tools
* DVD drive (CD media exchange was available; offer ended 19 March 2007)

Wii Tech specs From wikipedia

Processors:

* CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[87]
* GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[88] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[87]

Memory:

* 88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[89]
* 3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

PS3 Tech specs from http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache

iWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Booting Os x on a Wii is a nice thought.
But ! You forgot that ( if there is a posibility to run it) we´ll need Effi.
So we would need some hacked os x disks (may you know them )
or some kind of a chamelon bootloader that emulate an effi.

2nd.
We would need .kext´s ( windows users will say drivers ^.^)
I dont think any of the hardware would be useable.

3rd
Why? It would be slow ( but its a ppc , so 10.3 would be faster) and If you want a cheap mac , you could go and buy a g4/3 mac at Ebay or hack an Apple TV.
Only for Front row would an iWII be cool ;-)

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
But ! You forgot that ( if there is a posibility to run it) we´ll need Effi.

That's only for Intel Macs. Try the PowerPC version.

Still...I suspect this would be difficult.

SpAM_CAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
External RAM for the win
biggrin.gif

I would love this! Seriously though, getting Mac OSX to run on a PC is annoying enough. (Bloody intel wifi...)

SonicMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles can make it a little easier than pcs in some circumstances, PCs have an almost unlimited amount of different configurations, The wii however is almost exactly the same between the different releases with only minor differences.

I recognize the ram issue, external ram might be possible or if we go back to 10.0 we will see that only 64mb of ram is required. But I'm not sure we would want to go back that far.

I also realize that we would need different kexts/drivers and modifications to the OS. but then again on the wii it would only have to be written once rather than a million times for the different configurations.

I also do not technically need to run osx as I have a mac mini! I got a used 60GB intel core solo with 512mb of ram, and a 19 inch lcd samsung monitor for 225$ including shipping off of ebay.

I'm going to bet even at this time that you would have a hard time beating that!

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh too much work.

The PS3 and Wii can already run Linux.
Linux is better
yay.gif

I'm sure we'll see many improvements in Wii Linux now that BootMii is out.
Hopefully support for the Wii's built-in wifi will come soon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol