Hacking Booting to DS menu without taking out flash cart...

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I watched a video about a flash cart (it's in the reviews somewhere)...I saw in it a file named "DS_BOOT.nds" I'm pretty sure it's for going to the DS Menu.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Was there a question in there somewhere?

If you're looking for such a program (that will return you to the NDS menu), Yasu has a program called "back2fw.nds" that will do so. The problem is that you can't get back to the flash cart menu from the NDS menu with most carts, but it's still useful to accept a download play, change settings, etc.

-Bri

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know this doesn't help (then why post, right?), but I flashed my system with FlashMe Stealth, and I just have to hold select as the system powers on and it'll go to the DS Menu instead of autoloading the flashcart. I would assume that the slot-1 devices would have such a feature, though I guess it's not really a big pain to just pop the cart out a little so it doesn't read.

dogman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
back2fw.nds works wonders
smile.gif

link found in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=81460

edit: direct link removed as I think Bri is right... Follow his instructions
tongue.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@farfet: Yasu doesn't want you to post links except to his home page (http://home.usay.jp). You can post directions on how to get back2fw from the home page though: Click on "ETC" at the top. Click on "NintendoDS" in the table. Click the "in english" link near the top of the page under the first paragraph. About halfway down the page it will say "back2fw(2008/03/27)". Click that link to download the latest version.

@ferrariman: Yasu's back2fw is preferable to firmware.nds because it actually runs the native firmware that is on your NDS. The firmware.nds file is actually a dump of the firmware from a DS Phat, so you can't change the backlight levels on a DS Lite, and back2fw is also much smaller since it doesn't contain any actual firmware.

BTW, back2fw is actually a standalone version of the code that is built into YSMenu in case anyone wondered.

-Bri

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
@farfet: Yasu doesn't want you to post links except to his home page (http://home.usay.jp). You can post directions on how to get back2fw from the home page though.

@ferrariman: Yasu's back2fw is preferable to firmware.nds because it actually runs the native firmware that is on your NDS. The firmware.nds file is actually from a DS Phat, so you can't change the backlight levels, and back2fw is also much smaller since it doesn't contain any actual firmware.

-Bri
Too bad it doesn't support flashme...

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think Yasu is working on that. He was also going to work on allowing carts that can boot from the NDS menu like the Acekard 2 to boot back to the flash cart menu after using back2fw.

-Bri

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Great Scott! This sounds useful. Lemme get this straight - I have a flashed DS, can I run firmware.nds?(instead of back2fw) I cannot test it right now since my DS is bork. Changing backlight won't work but editing the other fw options(name, time, date) will?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Guuuys what about Firmware.nds which is an actual DUMP of the whole fw? Will that work with a flashed DS? And if so, what can/can't it change in the system settings?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a dump of the Phat firmware, which means that it can't change brightness. I think that may be the only limitation. I don't know if it works on a flashed DS though.

-Bri

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
THANK YOU guys! Now I'll NEVER ever need to take my flashcart out again. 8D Phat eh? Is there anywhere I can get a dump of the Lite or FlashMe firmwares?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1