Status
Not open for further replies.

SylvWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On March 27, 2008, well-known developer Yasu released a program that R4DS users might find useful. Known as back2fw, this program brings a flashcard back to the main NDS/L firmware. This could be useful for any user with a card that skips the main splash screen like the R4 does.

Yasu does not like people linking to either his downloads or pages other than his main, so this is how you can download back2fw:

1. Go to Yasu's main page.
2. Click "ETC" at the top.
3. Click the "Nintendo DS" option.
4. Click "in english."
5. Under "DS Programming," look for back2fw and the download.

NOTE: Does not work on any DS with FlashMe installed.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Even though I'm (will be...) using a cyclo, it's always cool to have a soft-reset to firmware.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I saw this a while ago. It works on my brother's DS, but mine if flashed, so I can't use it
frown.gif

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice - better than that firmware dump that's floating around, as I can set the brightness etc. Shame it starts up with black text on a white background briefly. Would have been better without the message on a black screen. As it is, it looks a tad ugly when it starts up
frown.gif

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a dump of the DS-phat's firmware available, which can be run like a normal ROM image. It's ok for phat users, but those of us with a DSL can't set screen brightness with it.

I use the original firmware mostly for the clock whilst at work, and this prog has now replaced my old dsfirmware.nds file which was 500kb - a nice saving. Just gonna have to see about getting rid of that startup message
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to Yasu who was kind enough to write this program after I requested it. His YSMenu already had the functionality, and I thought a standalone version might be useful to folks with other carts. I figured it would be fairly easy for him to strip out the relevant sections of code, and he had it done within days of my request!

Yasu's program runs the firmware that is on the NDS, whereas the "firmware.nds" file that is circulating around is just a runnable dump of the DS Phat firmware. Which explains why this is so much smaller and runs the native firmware on both the Phat and Lite (i.e. you can change the brightness on the Lite). Unfortunately, there's still no way to get from the NDS firmware back to the cart menu without hard resetting.

@coolbho3000: Yasu mentioned that he would look into getting it to work with a flashed NDS, but he doesn't currently have one flashed to test it with.

-Bri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.