Boot up a Wii without its power brick? A USB charger instead?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got two spare Wiis now and was trying to look for a charger which wouldn't be the official power brick, but that's all there is?

The power brick needs around 44w or so and there are 45w USB chargers, problem is no one has developed a Wii charging cable to connect via USB, or has someone actually done it? That'd be pretty cool. If it'd be possible to avoid having the power brick I'd be all for it!

Using Wii consoles to play GameCube games is one of the reasons it got me interested.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't see the point in a vastly improved and modular charger that doesn't take up much space instead of Nintendo's frail and ungodly large bricks?
Well… let me put it that way: I did answer the initial question by providing a link to a solution. My reply wasn't of the type "Why do you want to do that? Makes no sense! Don't do it!", which is surely unfriendly and not helpful.

But I'm not an answering robot without own opinion, thoughts and feelings. I see no benefit in a smaller ("modern", "improved", "standardized") power supply. The Wii U is connected to the TV. The huge power brick lies there. Next to all cables and power supplies. It doesn't bother me. It works and doesn't break from lying there.
My approach is: If it is not broken, don't fix it. I would not want to risk damaging my Wii U consoles for something that provides no advantages for me.

Other people might thing different. They might want to transport their Wii U often. Maybe they want to tinker around with it (which I usually do with worthless devices that exist in vast number).

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't see the point in a vastly improved and modular charger that doesn't take up much space instead of Nintendo's frail and ungodly large bricks?
Personally would not trust a USB-C charger to provide proper voltage - Especially if someone doesn't truly know what they're doing and is modding USB-C into a device.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well… let me put it that way: I did answer the initial question by providing a link to a solution. My reply wasn't of the type "Why do you want to do that? Makes no sense! Don't do it!", which is surely unfriendly and not helpful.

But I'm not an answering robot without own opinion, thoughts and feelings. I see no benefit in a smaller ("modern", "improved", "standardized") power supply. The Wii U is connected to the TV. The huge power brick lies there. Next to all cables and power supplies. It doesn't bother me. It works and doesn't break from lying there.
My approach is: If it is not broken, don't fix it. I would not want to risk damaging my Wii U consoles for something that provides no advantages for me.

Other people might thing different. They might want to transport their Wii U often. Maybe they want to tinker around with it (which I usually do with worthless devices that exist in vast number).

The huge power brick takes room. Right there. Could be spent on something else.
Made even worse when we realize Nintendo loves the "two slot wall worts" that take up AT LEAST two outlets. Which means a lot of room gets spent on it, too.

Personally would not trust a USB-C charger to provide proper voltage - Especially if someone doesn't truly know what they're doing and is modding USB-C into a device.

I don't think you could mod USB-C onto a device that isn't using any USB standard to begin with like the Wii U and not know what you're doing so there's no concern there.

There's also no concern for USB-C in terms of voltage. It can more than provide adequate voltage. If USB-C can power 100W laptops perfectly fine, the 45W/35W Wii/U are no big deal.
USB-C wires are also 100% replaceable. Cable breaks down or stops working? Get a new one. You do that with power cables like the Wii/U, and you're buying very old tech that's probably faulty to begin with.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa! That dude made an adapter that could make Wiis usable without the power brick, but no Chinese seller on AliExpress has decided to print and sell it themselves.

wMDeWqL.jpg

pxGcHJj.jpg

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what will be the sales figures for such a device? One and a half pieces a month?
It's more likely they'll easily sell it than power bricks (which are on AE) and there's loads of loose Wii consoles so there'll be people looking for a solution like I am.

People prefer to use an adequate USB charger than a power brick if possible.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
People prefer to use an adequate USB charger than a power brick if possible.
This is too unfounded a statement. Although if you replace "people" with "maybe some people", then this may be true.
Although this is already offtopic and the topic is going to shit.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is too unfounded a statement. Although if you replace "people" with "maybe some people", then this may be true.
Although this is already offtopic and the topic is going to shit.
You're on a site dedicated to piracy, emulation, and homebrew. Those are far more of a "some people" thing than efficient, working AC adapters/chargers that breathe life into old devices.

The concept of "on/off topic" is a silly one to begin with. If a question thread is answered, that's that. What else can you add? Creative ways to reword the answer? There's a reason even sites like GameFAQs did away with the notion of "on-topic" a decade ago, it's just silly.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're on a site dedicated to piracy, emulation, and homebrew. Those are far more of a "some people" thing than efficient, working AC adapters/chargers that breathe life into old devices.
Considering Wii consoles (the BC ones) have native GCN disc compatibility, GCN controller ports, and GCN memory card slots it'll certainly be used as a means for retro GCN gaming.

I mean, it's a Wii so it can obviously play Wii games, but a lot prefer the little, adorable cube instead.

Personally, I'd be interested buying 3~5 units of the Wii USB-C charger adapter. I once bought a Vita Micro USB adapter from Amazon Japan as that's very useful and couldn't find anyone in the West selling it for a decent price.

717z9wy78kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.