Review Boneworks review

Bl4aze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boneworks is a VR game that launched on Steam and Oculus last December. I recently got a worthy enough pc to purchase the game and try it out. I didn't exactly expect to be blown away.

When I first started the game looked great of course though I had to experiment with some optimization as my pc wasn't top of the line. once I got it down I was playing.
The first part of the game the museum is a great way to make a tutorial. it had truly everything you need to know about boneworks. Boneworks has a major major focus on physics. Almost anything you see can be picked up smashed or climbed. As you exit this museum you fall down a trash pit and are sent to this new place. MythOS city. Now when you get to MythOS city which is a city inside of the VR headset you find yourself trapped in this area with nothing to defend yourself but bricks. and this is where you meet the first enemy. Null bodies. They are these creepy orange things with white like hexagonal stuff all over them. They are pretty easy and you have to smash some boxes and get a key to get out. As you travel throughout the game you meet many foes. I already mentioned Null bodies but there is also crablets the headcrab equivalent of boneworks. Yes, this game is heavily inspired by the half-life series. But instead of being a zombie creating flesh demon its a zombie creating vr headset. Then comes the zombie which is basically just a powered-up null body also sometimes with the ability to shoot blue pixel things at you. A foe you may meet around this time is the OMNIPROJECTOR which is this games combine. These dudes have high caliber assault rifles so make sure to use your 1911 to kill them in 3 hits or your smg to kill them with 2 clips! Sometimes you may find yourself in a sewer and don't worry they have a level for that but then there is the corrupted null body basically just a more powerful null body. You kinda see a pattern. basically fight your way through the game until oh fuck the void exists. one theme of this game is the void it exists in mythOS as a glitchy substance that is to be reported to admins (this forum can relate in a lot of ways). I recommend you watch some of mattpats videos on boneworks and how apparently this and duck season are connected? Basically, at the almost end of the game you have to kill null bodies that are making a void ritual and shoot some orbs into these slots and fight zombies and crablets then you teleport to this dark black room where you have followed this weird corrupted void thing to a place and there is basically a door saying welcome home. You go through and you fall into a giant voidy abyss. However, you wake up in fantasy land. where you are now taken, prisoner. However, with the help of your clones that randomly showed up, you have them mimic your movement to set you free. it's a small pub with some quick fighting and key gathering. this game has a lot of key gathering. Then you make your way to a colosseum where you fight about 3 rounds of zombies with a blade and shield. Kill the zombies then go through the door to get to the mediocre final boss. You arrive at a castle and have to climb some pipes to open a door and then go in and have it out in a drawn-out fistfight. It's kinda boring and repetitive and hard to lose because if you start to die just punch one of the other ford clones standing around and you are healthy again. After you defeat him put on his crown and go into his backroom. supply up but don't really because you have 0 need to do there is no fight but you need the gravity gun to pull this hook into this vault. I got so confused on this part I thought the hook was a teleporter but I eventually figured out its a hook and this is a vault. open the vault and run towards this chamber 02 place and climb a ladder to the first platform you see. pick up the sticky gloves and fail with the controls until you learn them and climb up this tower. after you have motion sickness and reach the top watch a mediocre ending scene where ford gets shot.

I suppose its more about the journey than the destination right? In conclusion, do I think this game is excellent? yes, do I think its the best game of all time? no, is it the best VR game? probably at least for 20 dollars. It's fun its physics is great its combat and gameplay is great. Its puzzles are nice but motion sickness-inducing. and its story is mediocre. Still one of my favorite games of all time!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like to think I have a high tolerance for VR, I've used it for years. But something about Boneworks just doesn't sit right with me. Every time I play it I end up feeling like shit. I suppose that's the full-body physics at work.

Shame as it's a neat game otherwise. It has some really great concepts for VR player interaction.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what it's worth, this is a largely defunct forum section. If you fancy doing more reviews, check out this link:
https://gbatemp.net/reviews/create

On there, you have a few more features at your disposal for writing reviews, and can tag scores onto certain aspects of the game.

Bl4aze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, this is a largely defunct forum section. If you fancy doing more reviews, check out this link:
https://gbatemp.net/reviews/create

On there, you have a few more features at your disposal for writing reviews, and can tag scores onto certain aspects of the game.
thanks! maybe ill copy what i have here over to there

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Boneworks is for sure my favorite VR game so far. (Original Doom games with OpenVR being in a very close 2nd)

Something about running out of ammo then smacking an enemy in the head with your gun feels so good.

Have you tried a melee only run yet? Runoff is the hardest level for no shooting, but it's fun to run up to those roller-ball enemies and smash their head off their body. Melee only run helps to unlock the best tools/weapons in the Tower of Time level too, some are expensive!

The recent update with the 'zombies' mode has been pretty fun too. I love the 'board gun'. Shooting out wooden planks has never been more enjoyable.

Bl4aze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boneworks is for sure my favorite VR game so far. (Original Doom games with OpenVR being in a very close 2nd)

Something about running out of ammo then smacking an enemy in the head with your gun feels so good.

Have you tried a melee only run yet? Runoff is the hardest level for no shooting, but it's fun to run up to those roller-ball enemies and smash their head off their body. Melee only run helps to unlock the best tools/weapons in the Tower of Time level too, some are expensive!

The recent update with the 'zombies' mode has been pretty fun too. I love the 'board gun'. Shooting out wooden planks has never been more enjoyable.

I should try a melee run i only just finished the game about 2 days ago and i still need to get all the dev utilities lol

Clownclown

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boneworks is a VR game that launched on Steam and Oculus last December. I recently got a worthy enough pc to purchase the game and try it out. I didn't exactly expect to be blown away.

When I first started the game looked great of course though I had to experiment with some optimization as my pc wasn't top of the line. once I got it down I was playing.
The first part of the game the museum is a great way to make a tutorial. it had truly everything you need to know about boneworks. Boneworks has a major major focus on physics. Almost anything you see can be picked up smashed or climbed. As you exit this museum you fall down a trash pit and are sent to this new place. MythOS city. Now when you get to MythOS city which is a city inside of the VR headset you find yourself trapped in this area with nothing to defend yourself but bricks. and this is where you meet the first enemy. Null bodies. They are these creepy orange things with white like hexagonal stuff all over them. They are pretty easy and you have to smash some boxes and get a key to get out. As you travel throughout the game you meet many foes. I already mentioned Null bodies but there is also crablets the headcrab equivalent of boneworks. Yes, this game is heavily inspired by the half-life series. But instead of being a zombie creating flesh demon its a zombie creating vr headset. Then comes the zombie which is basically just a powered-up null body also sometimes with the ability to shoot blue pixel things at you. A foe you may meet around this time is the OMNIPROJECTOR which is this games combine. These dudes have high caliber assault rifles so make sure to use your 1911 to kill them in 3 hits or your smg to kill them with 2 clips! Sometimes you may find yourself in a sewer and don't worry they have a level for that but then there is the corrupted null body basically just a more powerful null body. You kinda see a pattern. basically fight your way through the game until oh fuck the void exists. one theme of this game is the void it exists in mythOS as a glitchy substance that is to be reported to admins (this forum can relate in a lot of ways). I recommend you watch some of mattpats videos on boneworks and how apparently this and duck season are connected? Basically, at the almost end of the game you have to kill null bodies that are making a void ritual and shoot some orbs into these slots and fight zombies and crablets then you teleport to this dark black room where you have followed this weird corrupted void thing to a place and there is basically a door saying welcome home. You go through and you fall into a giant voidy abyss. However, you wake up in fantasy land. where you are now taken, prisoner. However, with the help of your clones that randomly showed up, you have them mimic your movement to set you free. it's a small pub with some quick fighting and key gathering. this game has a lot of key gathering. Then you make your way to a colosseum where you fight about 3 rounds of zombies with a blade and shield. Kill the zombies then go through the door to get to the mediocre final boss. You arrive at a castle and have to climb some pipes to open a door and then go in and have it out in a drawn-out fistfight. It's kinda boring and repetitive and hard to lose because if you start to die just punch one of the other ford clones standing around and you are healthy again. After you defeat him put on his crown and go into his backroom. supply up but don't really because you have 0 need to do there is no fight but you need the gravity gun to pull this hook into this vault. I got so confused on this part I thought the hook was a teleporter but I eventually figured out its a hook and this is a vault. open the vault and run towards this chamber 02 place and climb a ladder to the first platform you see. pick up the sticky gloves and fail with the controls until you learn them and climb up this tower. after you have motion sickness and reach the top watch a mediocre ending scene where ford gets shot.

I suppose its more about the journey than the destination right? In conclusion, do I think this game is excellent? yes, do I think its the best game of all time? no, is it the best VR game? probably at least for 20 dollars. It's fun its physics is great its combat and gameplay is great. Its puzzles are nice but motion sickness-inducing. and its story is mediocre. Still one of my favorite games of all time!
Citra? Need more vr sandbox games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-