Blizzard: DRM is a 'losing battle'

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, May 31, 2010.

May 31, 2010
  1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Source

kind of ironic... don't you think?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've still got my StarCraft T-Shirt somewhere from the Limited Edition, sad.

The biggest draw for SC2 will be online play, so should ease back on the DRM.

Single player mode will be pirated no matter what they do.

3. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    that's unless you were talking about pirating it... yeah

Edit: I reread it... you were

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I know you havn't released a game since WoW, but DRM is a losing battle for everyone Blizz. Welcome to 2010.

5. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Blizzard the once iron titan of MMORPGs like WoW has now gone bankrupt, news at 11.

6. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    I think it takes some balls to say this. Huzzah Blizzard, focus on making good games and forget about the DRM nonsense. Just makes people want to pirate it more.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I couldn't agree more with them. What developers need to do is take the id approach.

1. Release the game with two security mechanisms: the serial number to prevent pirates from playing online and some kind of CD protection.
    2. When the game has been out for a couple of weeks and the protection has done its work (it convinced some gamers to buy the game, but now has been cracked) release an update so legitimate gamers don't have the hassle of inserting the CD when pirates don't.

8. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Huzzah my ass, they're no better than Ubisoft. "LOL, WE REELIZE DRM IS DUMB. SO WE PUT DRM IN OAR GAEM, BUT SAI ITZ DIFFRNT CUZ U ONLI HAZ 2 DO IT ONCE, LOL", which is utter bullshit. Not everyone has web, even today; and not everyones gaming computers are hooked up, even if they have it. I personally lost my internet due to financial issues, so they're pretty much telling all of us without it to fuck off, so hey Blizzard, fuck off, you lost some more sales, including mine.

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    No LAN in Starcraft 2.. [​IMG]
    I think Blizzard is shooting itself in the foot with this attitude.

10. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    How many games now include LAN play?

This isn't 1998, StarCraft was a long time ago.

11. Elritha

Canada
    There is still a large majority of pc games that do have this feature. Many people still enjoy, and prefer LAN gaming than playing online with a faceless person. LAN parties etc.

12. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    What's stopping them from playing via battle.net? They just need an internet connection. They can all still be in the same physical room together.

13. Elritha

Canada
    Nothing. Apart from increased ping times to a remote server, on a LAN you'd get virtually 0. Everyone sharing the same connection, with a poor upload speed this would be very bad. Or the fact not everyone has internet access.

I'm just in the mind frame that companies shouldn't be forcing their own versions of DRM on paying customers. There's little excuse not to include LAN apart from discouraging pirates from using it, which in turn is harming legitimate customers. Most of the coding would be done if they have internet play in there.

14. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    then how did you post this? you in an internet café or something?

15. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    A friends house. The only way I can get online anymore is at my girlfriends, or a friends house.

16. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia

That. Many countries dont even have internet available everywhere. If Id still be living in Australia id be shitting myself with a 5GB datalimit. Online the whole time? Updates and shit when I dont want em? Its just bullsh*t and they know it

17. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    Lets hope someone will create some sort of hack for LAN, although I don't play RTS much (like at all [​IMG] ) I used to have some fun doing LAN gaming with starcraft (it was popular with the russians at our school [​IMG]) and I want the new generation to experience the same as I did.

18. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I don't see why they would bother with DRM and all that other crap. All you need is CD-key protection and a strong multiplayer mode. Look at Warcraft 3 for example. Because it had DotA (which is Multiplayer only), they are still selling Warcraft 3 like hotcakes.

19. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    I agree. Just make DRM go away. When pirates have a better time skipping all the crap to gameplay than paying customers, you know it's not going right. CD-key protection is great. Multiplayer dependent on CD-keys was easy, and you couldn't pirate to play online. I think the best DRM is to make the CD un-ripable. If that's a word. Then, we're golden. Although, that is pretty much impossible.

20. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Have you even been in on the beta? You still need to have an active Battle.net account with the game authenticated through their system in order to play at all, online or offline. You have to have a real game key which must be registered on their website in order to play any part of the game. You won't be able to pirate the game at all.

And there should be no need to pirate at all if the game is worth buying. Blizzard still makes quality games, there won't be any reason to pirate SC2, and from what I have played of the beta it is going to be awesome, it looks as nice as it plays.