Blizzard and Valve trading blows over DotA name

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fuck blizzard now their cash cow WoW is declining they want to jump ship and try to touch our glorious neckbeard lord Gaben and they'll get shit on

Well Blizzard also ones like one of the most popular RTS games in history (Starcraft) and are making a sequel to practically the dungeon crawler of dungeon crawlers (Diablo III). They'll be staying around for a while and people won't be happy if they disappear.
Sadly thats true, I was a big WoW fan untill the last expansion that ruined the game, but I cant not have my SC and Diablo 3.
You know I really enjoyed Warcraft 3, but I just could not get into WoW. Guild Wars on the other hand, that's a different story.

D

Deleted User

fuck blizzard now their cash cow WoW is declining they want to jump ship and try to touch our glorious neckbeard lord Gaben and they'll get shit on

Well Blizzard also ones like one of the most popular RTS games in history (Starcraft) and are making a sequel to practically the dungeon crawler of dungeon crawlers (Diablo III). They'll be staying around for a while and people won't be happy if they disappear.
Sadly thats true, I was a big WoW fan untill the last expansion that ruined the game, but I cant not have my SC and Diablo 3.
You know I really enjoyed Warcraft 3, but I just could not get into WoW. Guild Wars on the other hand, that's a different story.
I only played WoW because I was in a top guild, and at the time had nothing better to do.

Guild Wars was just an horrible experience.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild Wars was great but eventually lost a lot of its edge. I played the single player and multiplayer thoroughly across all the campaigns and expansions but honestly it came down to one big issue of the "meta". Basically one build (or set of builds) would dominate multiplayer modes until A-Net nerfed some skills in there. Then of course the nerfing wouldn't be good at all so either A) the build would be just as good anyway or B) the skill would be so horrifically nerfed that an entire class roll gets thrown into a washing machine. They also did kinda a shit job across all modes (single and multiplayer) in creating choice. Like in single player the only thing most any mage could play was Fire magic since it did tons of AoE damage.

Overall though it's a great MMO idea (where grinding is irrelevant and it comes down to skill rather than level or time spent) that was excellent but a bit rough in some areas. Guild Wars 2 should be great though, the original took away a couple years of my life.

Reactions: 1 person

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

They have Activision to prop them up if need be, but I don't expect that they will go anywhere since Diablo III is going to have expansions in the near future, people will be playing their games years from now. Nothing will change with Blizzard really, they haven't needed to evolve with the gaming industry too much because they know where their games sell the best and it's due to customer loyalty that PC games continue to thrive in that fashion. It's too bad other gaming companies haven't offered the type of products that Blizzard has for the PC market, but then again it's hard to beat one of the companies that took a very popular RTS and made it into an MMO that really defined the genre.

I think personally this issue with Valve is a silly squabble. No one owns the rights to DotA, and the name shouldn't be trademarked by Valve, it should be a free to use name lest someone wants to start handing out royalties for the name use

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
No one will be able to get near Blizzard unless they really, REALLY screw up with their lore. their games made sense. the lore was understandable and very deep, developed over a long, long time. gimmicks offered in Korean f2p rpgs or any other crap that are as deep as Twilight fanbase will not cut it. WAR had the story but the game was executed very poorly.

WoW was accessible to many both in graphics and the time it took to get used to WoW, was fun to play for both casuals and hardcores, interesting lore from proven games like Warcraft series, no bullshit gimmicks like 'control your own ship (boring)', 3 characters at once, vehicles that had 1000 buttons to push just to operate, to name a few.

also Activision just "recently" bought out Blizzard... they had nothing to do with the development of the game until very recently (I think somewhere around WotLK).

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was a big WoW fan untill the last expansion that ruined the game
I sincerely feel that 25/10man raiding introduced in Burning Crusade ruined the game for PVE/overall experience. I am still subscribed on one of my accounts.. but I can conceive of nothing that will ever live up to the multiplayer experiences I had in a medium-core 40-man progression guild. At least PVP got more fun for some with Arenas.. but WoW is hardly the best PVP game..

But to keep my post marginally on topic, I dislike this whole business.
Pretty much the only two major PC entertainment software companies I have respect for...
I've had some secondhand experience with IP, having family/acquaintances in the microelectronics/software industry.. It's "their" property, even if working with their IP isn't "for profit", or isn't a violation of an employment contract but merely a violation of something like EULA.
I'm disappointed by Valve if they persist.
What is, in effect, a genre (or sub-genre), shouldn't really even be eligible for trademark.

D

Deleted User

I was a big WoW fan untill the last expansion that ruined the game
I sincerely feel that 25/10man raiding introduced in Burning Crusade ruined the game for PVE/overall experience. I am still subscribed on one of my accounts.. but I can conceive of nothing that will ever live up to the multiplayer experiences I had in a medium-core 40-man progression guild. At least PVP got more fun for some with Arenas.. but WoW is hardly the best PVP game..

But to keep my post marginally on topic, I dislike this whole business.
Pretty much the only two major PC entertainment software companies I have respect for...
I've had some secondhand experience with IP, having family/acquaintances in the microelectronics/software industry.. It's "their" property, even if working with their IP isn't "for profit", or isn't a violation of an employment contract but merely a violation of something like EULA.
I'm disappointed by Valve if they persist.
What is, in effect, a genre (or sub-genre), shouldn't really even be eligible for trademark.
Thats bullshit, TBC was the best raiding in WoW, as it had the hardest raid bosses and mechanics.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I'm a big fan of Heroes of Newerth, but have now converted to DotA 2. Before that I played DotA in WC3, and before that 3Corridors (when 3corr was actually better than dota).
I tried LoL for a bit, but never really got into it.

As for Valve trying to buy the name, I don't really think they should own it, even tho IceFrog is the current developer. It doesn't matter if they're not trying to own "Defense Of The Ancients". DotA is the abbrevation and the common term for the game/map.
It's not for the game type, but people easily want to relate with it. As IceFrog wasn't solely the creator of DotA, nor did he come up with the name, he shouldn't own the name.

If by chance anyone here got a dota2 key over, I'd really like to have it :)

Reactions: 2 people

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the DotA 2 servers down yesterday(and from what i hear might continue til friday) some interesting news has surfaced.

Apparently Eul, the creator of the orignal dota is working for Valve. What exactly he does or if he is even on the dota 2 team is still unknown. But this does add an interesting twist to the saga if true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm