Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Arisotura
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 788,863
  • Replies Replies 2,750
  • Likes Likes 82
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be honest here, but I'd only use it for homebrew at this point

I'm definitely not buying the "only for homebrew" line, especially since at this point, there's virtually NOTHING worth paying any kind of money for. Why do you need homebrew so bad? Everything 3DS homebrew does at the moment, the DS can, and does better? You just want it for the sake of wanting it, and you don't want to pay anything for it? What's the fun in running an emulator on 3DS that won't let you play any games? You can emulate just fine, ON THE SAME CONSOLE, with a DS flash cartridge. You can play Aperture Science, instead of some buggy engine demo, serving as a proof of concept.

You want a cartridge for homebrew? Dude ... What homebrew?

Back on topic, though, I really hope things will evolve, and I'm not being negative about the 3DS homebrew scene. Just like anyone, I'd love to see proper and fast emulation of all 8 and 16-bit systems, and I'm happy that people are working on it. At the same time, I'm aware we still have ways to go, and there's no point in buying any kind of 3DS flash cartridge for the sake of homebrew alone, since we're still pretty much in the "proof of concept" zone.
 
I know. The PSP didn't have enough power either. I believe/hope the 3DS has the power.
 
Nice, it's good to see things like this take off. It would be great if we could have an actual SNES emu in the future.
 
"there's no point in buying any kind of 3DS flash cartridge for the sake of homebrew alone"

Why do you think I bought my Gateway for, then? :P

To be completely honest, I'm not a big gamer, and not interested into pirating games. Believe it or not but I'm not for piracy at all.


Now, I know this is more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I will make it evolve into something usable and even useful, rest assured of that. I didn't create this thread to see arguments about usage of the controversed Gateway. Yes, the sad truth is that a majority of users will be using it for pirating games, because they can't be assed to buy a game. But does that matter here? No. People buy a Gateway or not if they want, they use it however the fuck they want, it's their own choice and this has nothing to do with blargSnes.


I don't care what is said or done, as long as 3DS homebrew is possible and somewhat practical for the average guy (if you still think the Gateway is too expensive, think about something like having to hardmod your console), and as long as my motivation will let me do so, I will continue working on blargSnes.
 

There's a reason: Most of the games I do have, I didn't pay full price for ;D (Employee discounts are a wonderful thing). Plus, most of my games are older releases (Roughly $35 or less). I haven't bought many new releases.
I'm definitely not buying the "only for homebrew" line, especially since at this point, there's virtually NOTHING worth paying any kind of money for. Why do you need homebrew so bad? Everything 3DS homebrew does at the moment, the DS can, and does better? You just want it for the sake of wanting it, and you don't want to pay anything for it? What's the fun in running an emulator on 3DS that won't let you play any games? You can emulate just fine, ON THE SAME CONSOLE, with a DS flash cartridge. You can play Aperture Science, instead of some buggy engine demo, serving as a proof of concept.

You want a cartridge for homebrew? Dude ... What homebrew?
But the DS can't display 3D in the way the 3DS does. Not to mention it can't decode video data unlike the 3DS (See: Netflix and Youtube).

Anyways, time for me to get back on topic. I'm looking forward to trying this when smealum release ssspwn. It'll be a worthy investment, the SNES is personally my favorite console.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Margen67
I know. The PSP didn't have enough power either. I believe/hope the 3DS has the power.
The PSP emulator snes9xTYL MECM offloads the audio to the mediaengine, which helps the speed a lot. The vast majority of games run full speed. Even so, most special chip games are unplayable, while some graphically intensive games need frameskipping or speedhacks to run properly. I expect similar performance struggles with SNES emulation on the 3DS since both systems have similar processing power. Right now though the 3DS is behind the PSP in terms of homebrew capabilities. Good luck to the author though -- he picked a toughie.
 
The PSP emulator snes9xTYL MECM offloads the audio to the mediaengine, which helps the speed a lot. The vast majority of games run full speed. Even so, most special chip games are unplayable, while some graphically intensive games need frameskipping or speedhacks to run properly. I expect similar performance struggles with SNES emulation on the 3DS since both systems have similar processing power. Right now though the 3DS is behind the PSP in terms of homebrew capabilities. Good luck to the author though -- he picked a toughie.
Indeed he did and I'm also sure he knows that it'll be a tough ride working on it.
 
Some people would argue that spending $70+ on one cartridge would mean huge savings, since you don't have to buy games, like ever. And don't tell me you want it for homebrew, because I wouldn't even pay said $25 to $35 for emulators that can barely run NES games. I get it, though. You want everything to either be free or dirt cheap. Keep wishing for a soft-mod, because the real shit ain't cheap, buddy, and since Gateway is the team behind all progress (not counting all of those amazing things by other scene devs, that never get released), they can ask whatever they want, and your choice is either to pay, or not. Can't afford it? Tough bananas.


Ahh, the free market at work. Splendid.

StapleButler, thanks for your awesome work, keep it up!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Margen67
Why do you think I bought my Gateway for, then?

Obviously, I wasn't talking about homebrew developers. I meant the people who simply run the homebrew when it's fully realized. My argument was, that you wouldn't pay any kind of real money just to watch your 3DS calculate fractals or run an emulator with no playable games.

Now, I know this is more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I will make it evolve into something usable and even useful, rest assured of that.

Now that's something we all want to hear, and speaking of emulator development, I read that Sega went with 3D "remakes" of their Megadrive games, because due to technical reasons, emulation wouldn't work. What's up with that? Emulating Megadrive was always less CPU heavy than emulating SNES. Emulating Megadrive on the 3DS should be a joke, as long as you know what you're doing. That's kind of neither here nor there, but since you're a developer, I figured you might know what they meant.
 
[quote="You want a cartridge for homebrew? Dude ... What homebrew?[/quote]

Maybe the homebrew thats being developed right now?

Homebrew that will allow you to play games at their actual resolution, at full speed and have better compatibility?

Maybe?

**Quote fail**
 
  • Like
Reactions: Margen67
I was curious about that myself. Having emulators that can automatically render to 3D layers would be pretty awesome. I foresee some oddities though, specifically in cases where nothing is rendered to areas below foreground objects...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News