blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by StapleButter, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    That's contradictory, ssspwn is the only method on the horizon that wouldn't need the "expensive little card"

Margen67, filfat, misterb98 and 5 others like this.
  2. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    I'm definitely not buying the "only for homebrew" line, especially since at this point, there's virtually NOTHING worth paying any kind of money for. Why do you need homebrew so bad? Everything 3DS homebrew does at the moment, the DS can, and does better? You just want it for the sake of wanting it, and you don't want to pay anything for it? What's the fun in running an emulator on 3DS that won't let you play any games? You can emulate just fine, ON THE SAME CONSOLE, with a DS flash cartridge. You can play Aperture Science, instead of some buggy engine demo, serving as a proof of concept.

You want a cartridge for homebrew? Dude ... What homebrew?

Back on topic, though, I really hope things will evolve, and I'm not being negative about the 3DS homebrew scene. Just like anyone, I'd love to see proper and fast emulation of all 8 and 16-bit systems, and I'm happy that people are working on it. At the same time, I'm aware we still have ways to go, and there's no point in buying any kind of 3DS flash cartridge for the sake of homebrew alone, since we're still pretty much in the "proof of concept" zone.

MOHRCORE, Habbert and mercluke like this.
  3. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    however

ONTOPIC: Looking forward to a SNES emulator that can run full speed unlike the DS ones I've used.

Habbert likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

The problem with the DS is it just doesn't have the raw power to run Snes at full speed, even with the DSTwo.

5. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I know. The PSP didn't have enough power either. I believe/hope the 3DS has the power.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Because Nintendo themselves are too bloody lazy to write their own for the Virtual Console lol.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Snes emulation has been done on the 3ds, granted it's harder making a all round emulator than targeting specific games, but it shows it should be possible

8. nihlathak

nihlathak GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Netherlands
    Nice, it's good to see things like this take off. It would be great if we could have an actual SNES emu in the future.

9. StapleButter
    OP

StapleButter 'New Member' registered since 2009. Fuck yea.

Dec 5, 2009
    France
    "there's no point in buying any kind of 3DS flash cartridge for the sake of homebrew alone"

Why do you think I bought my Gateway for, then? :P

To be completely honest, I'm not a big gamer, and not interested into pirating games. Believe it or not but I'm not for piracy at all.

Now, I know this is more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I will make it evolve into something usable and even useful, rest assured of that. I didn't create this thread to see arguments about usage of the controversed Gateway. Yes, the sad truth is that a majority of users will be using it for pirating games, because they can't be assed to buy a game. But does that matter here? No. People buy a Gateway or not if they want, they use it however the fuck they want, it's their own choice and this has nothing to do with blargSnes.

I don't care what is said or done, as long as 3DS homebrew is possible and somewhat practical for the average guy (if you still think the Gateway is too expensive, think about something like having to hardmod your console), and as long as my motivation will let me do so, I will continue working on blargSnes.

filfat, manlego, Celice and 7 others like this.
  10. smealum

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    this is awesome. keep up the good work :D

filfat, Margen67, Habbert and 10 others like this.
  11. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    "No matter how Far we Run we can Never escape our Past"

Snes + 3DS = :toot:

12. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    There's a reason: Most of the games I do have, I didn't pay full price for ;D (Employee discounts are a wonderful thing). Plus, most of my games are older releases (Roughly $35 or less). I haven't bought many new releases.
    But the DS can't display 3D in the way the 3DS does. Not to mention it can't decode video data unlike the 3DS (See: Netflix and Youtube).

Anyways, time for me to get back on topic. I'm looking forward to trying this when smealum release ssspwn. It'll be a worthy investment, the SNES is personally my favorite console.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Of course everything good that ever happens on this forum comes from the french or the dutch:glare:. North America we're slipping!

14. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    The PSP emulator snes9xTYL MECM offloads the audio to the mediaengine, which helps the speed a lot. The vast majority of games run full speed. Even so, most special chip games are unplayable, while some graphically intensive games need frameskipping or speedhacks to run properly. I expect similar performance struggles with SNES emulation on the 3DS since both systems have similar processing power. Right now though the 3DS is behind the PSP in terms of homebrew capabilities. Good luck to the author though -- he picked a toughie.

15. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    Indeed he did and I'm also sure he knows that it'll be a tough ride working on it.

16. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States

Ahh, the free market at work. Splendid.

StapleButler, thanks for your awesome work, keep it up!

Margen67 likes this.
  17. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Obviously, I wasn't talking about homebrew developers. I meant the people who simply run the homebrew when it's fully realized. My argument was, that you wouldn't pay any kind of real money just to watch your 3DS calculate fractals or run an emulator with no playable games.

Now that's something we all want to hear, and speaking of emulator development, I read that Sega went with 3D "remakes" of their Megadrive games, because due to technical reasons, emulation wouldn't work. What's up with that? Emulating Megadrive was always less CPU heavy than emulating SNES. Emulating Megadrive on the 3DS should be a joke, as long as you know what you're doing. That's kind of neither here nor there, but since you're a developer, I figured you might know what they meant.

18. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    [quote="You want a cartridge for homebrew? Dude ... What homebrew?[/quote]

Maybe the homebrew thats being developed right now?

Homebrew that will allow you to play games at their actual resolution, at full speed and have better compatibility?

Maybe?

**Quote fail**

Margen67 likes this.
  19. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I wonder if one could hack in 3D support into the emulator just for kicks. :D SNES renders things in layers right? You could offset them a little with the 3D slider and get a sorta 3D effect going on. :D

Margen67, emo kid 68 and sgtkwol like this.
  20. planetarian

planetarian GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    United States
    I was curious about that myself. Having emulators that can automatically render to 3D layers would be pretty awesome. I foresee some oddities though, specifically in cases where nothing is rendered to areas below foreground objects...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.