OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys

Hope you can help me out here. I have used the search button but I dont like the new layout as I cant seem to find the answer to anything I type into it lol

Right I just bought a black wii for my other sister this time for xmas. I softmodded it all went ok thats not a problem. My problem is its got the new drive or chipset in it and I get dvd error 1054 or summat like that i cant remember but I was expecting it anyway.

I have read about replacing the dvd drive. But I just need to know if its the drive or the board with the chipset on that needs replacing??

I have looked on flea bay and it seems to be the board.

TIA

Ginkster

ginkster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanx for quick replies guys I really do appreciate it.

one last question which would be the best drive to get or dont it matter??

o and merry xmas btw

Ginkster

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any non-D3-2 Drive will do. The D2-somethings are most common.

D2C and D2B seem to be the easiest to find. Occasionally you see a D2A, D2E, or a DMS unit. All wii drives fit in all wiis.

You can try to sell the D3-2 to some sucker on ebay who doesn't know about softmods, but they don't go for much. Saw one for $15 (mechanics+board) the other day.

ginkster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks techboy and to rest of you for replies really do apreciate it.

I will be getting one in new year I looked on ebay and they are going for around £35 here in uk.

I can softmod a wii with my eyes closed now but I have never been inside one so I dont know much about the mechanical side of them and I dont go jumping in feet first without being 100% sure of what im doing. I didnt even install preloader till about 3 months ago coz I was scared too lol

So thank you again to you all and have a lovely xmas and happy new year!!

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ginkster said:
thanks techboy and to rest of you for replies really do apreciate it.

I will be getting one in new year I looked on ebay and they are going for around £35 here in uk.

I can softmod a wii with my eyes closed now but I have never been inside one so I dont know much about the mechanical side of them and I dont go jumping in feet first without being 100% sure of what im doing. I didnt even install preloader till about 3 months ago coz I was scared too lol

So thank you again to you all and have a lovely xmas and happy new year!!

Hi, you have another solution which is pretty fast too and cost less... You change the chip on you drive... Buy this kit :

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/produc...t=28&page=1

Good luck..

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
That would work for him, but it requires soldering to make some of the connections. A new drive just plugs in and works.

Yes I know but it's much expensive than just buy the mod chip... Anyway, he have to decide what he want to do :-)

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
John_Ice said:
Hi, you have another solution which is pretty fast too and cost less... You change the chip on you drive... Buy this kit :
That's what i wrote in #3 and it's not only the chip, it's the whole dvd drive mainboard.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
olliepop2000 said:
why not pay a little bit more and go the usb loader route?
+1. My Wii also has the new drive, and I went the USB Loader route and I wouldn't want to go to DVDs. Things load so much faster off of a hard drive, and if you get the right hard drive then you won't have any problems at all. As long as you have Waninkoko's and Hermes's cIOSes you're good to go, which was all provided via xzxero's guide for me.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mattjd said:
http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/DVD-ROM-DRI...-D2C-p-407.html

This will do you all you got to do is open up the wii remove the 2 cables that connects the dvd drive to the motherboard and put the new one in and screw it all back together.
It cost 78.93€, for two drives i can get a new wii.
wink.gif

A simple dvd mainboard cost around 20-30€.

Sure, you need also a solder tip but you can buy a simple one that is good enough for the six wires for < 10€.

Thats 50% from a whole drive.

badbulll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
After you replace D3-2 board with new D2C, is it possible to softmod Wii, or is it necessary to install modhcip in order to run backups from DVD and install HBC etc?

badbulll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
TNX

You tried that already? Because all sites suggest Wiikey2 install. I need DVD drive only for watching DVD/Divx movies, that's why there is no need for modchip, softmod and neogamma loader for running those few Wii DVD backups will do.

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why use the wii to play dvd's........its lot cheaper to use a dvd player to play dvd's. our pawn shop has them for 20 dollars. ???????

The wii should be for games. I would recommend usb loading and I got a 60 gig maxtor drive for 25 dollars (used) that works great and bought a used wii that wont read disc cheap off ebay.....my kids love it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E