Black Shark Magnetic Cooler Impressions

GBAtemp_impressions_Black Shark Magnetic Cooler.png

Following the release of the Black Shark 4 gaming smartphone, the Xiaomi-backed company is growing its mobile gaming ecosystem with new accessories. Among the latest ones is the Black Shark Magnetic Cooler, an add-on to cool down your mobile device while gaming; and we will take a look at it in this article.

fan.jpg

Out of the box comes the following items:
  • Black Shark Magnetic Cooler
  • Magnetic base sticker
  • Protective film
  • Instruction manuals
  • USB-C to USB-C cable
contents.jpg

front.jpg back.jpg

As its name implies, this new accessory is different from previously-released Fun Cooler 2 Pro. The latter uses a clip-on mechanism while the former attaches to the phone via a magnetic ring composed of 15 NdFeb magnets. This results in a sleeker and overall more elegant attachment. The Magnetic Cooler is itself designed with a slimmer body than the Fun Cooler 2 Pro but retains its sturdiness.

The new accessory is also more powerful as its 5-blade fan packs a spinning speed of 7200 RPM (vs 6200 RPM for the previous model). This means that it can perform more effective cooling of your phone; in fact the Black Shark Magnetic Cooler can lower the phone’s temperature by up to 23°C. Within a few minutes of powering it on, you can already feel the cooling effect if you touch the back of the device or pay close attention to the water droplets forming. But these aren’t noticeable when it’s attached to your device.

top.jpg

water droplets.jpg device on.jpg

Mounting this accessory is fairly easy but you first have to stick the included magnetic base sticker to the back of your device. This can be an understandable inconvenience to many as the magnetic base will be a quasi-permanent addition to your phone and this can lead it to not fitting in your protective case or you simply don’t like this permanent effect on its aesthetics. You should also be mindful to not place the magnet over the NFC location on your phone or it might interfere with its NFC function. Personally, I don’t mind sticking the magnet on the Black Shark 4 and the latter’s protective case fits just fine with the attachment. But I get why it might be a downer for others and to circumvent this, another attachment system like a suction cup could have been employed. Such a system would also allow the cooler to be easily used from one device to the next, without requiring a magnetic base.

phone back magnet base.jpg

magnet.jpg phone holder.jpg

Once the magnet is affixed to the back of your phone, the Magnetic Cooler will easily snap onto/out of it at will. This accessory will also serve as a kickstand as it will remain firmly in place. To power it on, you have to use the included USB-C to USB-C to plug the add-on to your phone’s USB-C port. This is not ideal as I would personally prefer the cooler to pack its own battery but thankfully, it does not drain as much battery as I feared it might. This is also helped by the fact that there are no fancy RGB lightings to drain your phone’s battery but only a discrete green LED next to the USB-C port to indicate it is powered on and the fan will start spinning.

While the Black Shark Magnetic Cooler is mainly geared towards smartphones (including iPhones), it can work on other devices as well; as long as they have a USB-C port. Just for the funsies, I tested it on my laptop and indeed got it to work but you might already have a decent cooling system on your laptop. However, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t seem to be able to power the device on, likely due to the handheld’s quirky USB-C port. So if you want to use the cooler with the Switch, you might need to consider a power bank to power the cooler.

phone back.jpg

switch.jpg laptop.jpg

Personally, I prefer sticking to using the Black Shark Magnetic Cooler on a smartphone as these tend to heat up quite easily when playing demanding games; and this add-on does a fine job at toning down the heat. If your smartphone is your major gaming platform and you do feel it getting hot while gaming, then this $49.90 magnetic cooler is worth considering. It packs a minimal aesthetic with a sturdy build and is effective at toning down your device’s temperature during your gaming sessions.

end.jpg

:arrow: Black Shark Magnetic Cooler Official Product Link

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the 23 degrees their number or did you do your own tests? It seems like some actual data would be the most relevant information for something like a cooler, the rest of the impressions don't matter unless it performs.

Reactions: impeeza

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the 23 degrees their number or did you do your own tests? It seems like some actual data would be the most relevant information for something like a cooler, the rest of the impressions don't matter unless it performs.
KIrdOEV.png

theres so he didnt test it lul

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The insides of this rotating blades mechanism get dirty fast or not?
I'd imagine so, because you have on your lap, on a table or taking a hearty, healthy dump.
So, does it?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The insides of this rotating blades mechanism get dirty fast or not?
I'd imagine so, because you have on your lap, on a table or taking a hearty, healthy dump.
So, does it?

I doubt it's any different to any other small fan. They don't usually need cleaning very often.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KIrdOEV.png

lmao so like every other "impression" on this front page as of late. Goal is just to spit out a quick thread with the required backlinks so that the OP can keep the free product. Thats cool and all, but they should either be more transparent about it..or try a little bit harder.

Either way, phone coolers are snake oil. If your phone is really overheating to the point where you need to consider something like this, than you need a new device.

Reactions: MartianMSK

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lmao so like every other "impression" on this front page as of late. Goal is just to spit out a quick thread with the required backlinks so that the OP can keep the free product. Thats cool and all, but they should either be more transparent about it..or try a little bit harder.

Either way, phone coolers are snake oil. If your phone is really overheating to the point where you need to consider something like this, than you need a new device.
Somewhat contrary to this, I tend to do impressions posts with things I've bought and want to talk about, but lack the motivation to write up a full review for. Either that or something that I think is cool enough to talk about casually as a bit of a prologue to a full review later. That's how I work anyway, I'm sure other people on mag staff have their own processes and ways of thinking.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somewhat contrary to this, I tend to do impressions posts with things I've bought and want to talk about, but lack the motivation to write up a full review for. Either that or something that I think is cool enough to talk about casually as a bit of a prologue to a full review later. That's how I work anyway, I'm sure other people on mag staff have their own processes and ways of thinking.
With all due respect. If you(or anyone really, I don't like the word choice there as I don't want to single anyone out) don't have the motivation to write up a full review for the product. Then maybe reviewing products isn't the best thing to be doing and another hobby should be considered. It's time-consuming yes, but it's the only hard part about the job, besides maybe reviewing it for grammatical errors. The rest is enjoying the fact you got the free product and using the product

Now if it's something that staff thinks is cool enough to be talked about first, and a full review is indeed coming in the near future. That is completely different, as long as the reviewer is fully transparent about it within the impressions thread. I'm sure the company issuing the unit wouldn't be opposed to this either, as it's just an extra set of backlinks for their SEO.

That being said, if this is the approach being taken. I also don't think "impressions" like that are front-page material. Just looks phoned in and unprofessional. Especially if you consider an example like the response above(quoted below) where you can clearly see that OP just copy and pasted the first numbers they saw without any other consideration.

KIrdOEV.png

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With all due respect. If you(or anyone really, I don't like the word choice there as I don't want to single anyone out) don't have the motivation to write up a full review for the product. Then maybe reviewing products isn't the best thing to be doing and another hobby should be considered. It's time-consuming yes, but it's the only hard part about the job, besides maybe reviewing it for grammatical errors. The rest is enjoying the fact you got the free product and using the product

Now if it's something that staff thinks is cool enough to be talked about first, and a full review is indeed coming in the near future. That is completely different, as long as the reviewer is fully transparent about it within the impressions thread. I'm sure the company issuing the unit wouldn't be opposed to this either, as it's just an extra set of backlinks for their SEO.

That being said, if this is the approach being taken. I also don't think "impressions" like that are front-page material. Just looks phoned in and unprofessional. Especially if you consider an example like the response above(quoted below) where you can clearly see that OP just copy and pasted the first numbers they saw without any other consideration.
Motivation is a problem in general for me, but that's more of a personal issue. I'll keep what you've said in mind either way. I'm sure I will write up impressions type posts in future, but I will put some thought into what best fits what I want to talk about.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A suction cup wouldn't have worked, unless you can somehow make those out of metal. Whatever it's attached with needs to be thermally conductive. Which essentially means it needs to be metal. Suction cups would be pretty poor for thermal conduction.

This seems like a dumb product TBH. I would never want to put this thing on my phone. I get that there's a need for this kind of product because modern smartphones are designed to thermally throttle, but it would've been a much better idea to design it as a phone case instead that you could just leave on instead of this ugly thing that you're inevitably not going to have with you when you need it.

Mozenrath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Why can't they avoid powering it up with USB-C by reverse "charging" it via MagSafe (yes, I know it isn't Apple) or w/e wireless charging tech they have there? The setup with the cable looks ridiculous. A bag of ice from the fridge will cool your phone down for free in less than a minute if you need it LMAO (I actually had to do it a few times when the device went into high-temperature shutdown; and it cools so well that the battery voltage drops significantly like during harsh winter).

Fuck that overpriced piece of junk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs