XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I don't recall, but I think the disc drive or some related component is required to either launch games or even start up the system menu. Similarly iirc a damaged Bluetooth module may prevent the wii from even booting up.

There's a different name for the "related component" but I don't recall it at the moment. DeadlyFoez would remember, or anyone with more hardware knowledge, I'm generally more of a software guy

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't recall, but I think the disc drive or some related component is required to either launch games or even start up the system menu.
That's what i'm thinking too.. I guess there's nothing else to do other than maybe getting a new Wii..
Similarly iirc a damaged Bluetooth module may prevent the wii from even booting up.

There's a different name for the "related component" but I don't recall it at the moment. DeadlyFoez would remember, or anyone with more hardware knowledge, I'm generally more of a software guy
Thanks for your input, as always. 👍
Post automatically merged:

@pkers does it allow you to play GC game backup? If you haven't tried it, try launching them from usbloadergx and Nintendont (separately of course), and see if they work. Note that GC games should be in .iso format, and the directory should look like this: hdd:/games [game id] /game.iso

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: jeannotte

pkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't recall, but I think the disc drive or some related component is required to either launch games or even start up the system menu. Similarly iirc a damaged Bluetooth module may prevent the wii from even booting up.

thank you for your reaction. I realy apreciate it

That's what i'm thinking too.. I guess there's nothing else to do other than maybe getting a new Wii..

Thanks for your input, as always. 👍

@pkers does it allow you to play GC game backup? If you haven't tried it, try launching them from usbloadergx and Nintendont (separately of course), and see if they work. Note that GC games should be in .iso format, and the directory should look like this: hdd:/games [game id] /game.iso
at this point i'm just trying to get the whole thing started for the wii back upps.
But playing GC games is something on the list to do.

meanwhile. i also think i'm out of luck and need another wii. But i give it a final try and do the whole thing again

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point i'm just trying to get the whole thing started for the wii back upps.
But playing GC games is something on the list to do.
I told you to try running GC games to see if the damaged disc drive affects the launch-ability of the GC backup games too, or just the Wii backups. Does that make sense?

pkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I told you to try running GC games to see if the damaged disc drive affects the launch-ability of the GC backup games too, or just the Wii backups. Does that make sense?
its worth a try, i let you know the result

its worth a try, i let you know the result
So, the NES game works fine.

I'll do one more try with the Modmii guide, and when that doesnt work out allright, its time to let this Wii go...

Last edited by pkers,
Reactions: CoolMe

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe its a issue because of a dirty sensor inside the drive :
There's an optical sensor just inside the drive slot that detects when a disc is inserted and triggers the "pull in" sequence (it also turns the wii on if it's off). Sounds like yours is dirty.

Or its a issue with a IOS because every IOS, even the sysmenu IOS 60, 70 and 80 (maybe @XFlak can say something about it), on your Wii is patched with trucha bug and set to highest version. And in case there would be another released version of a ios, it cant be installed.
pkers :
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS20 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS30 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS36 (rev 3608, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS38 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS40 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS41 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS43 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS45 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS46 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS48 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS50 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS53 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS55 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS56 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS57 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS58 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
Overview Wii IOS -> https://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_history
So a idea would be reinstalling the latest original IOS, to get the Wii back to nearly original state -> https://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader
Additional script to Download all regional IOS at once -> https://github.com/nullgemm/wii_ios_backup

Last edited by Sypherone,

pkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, i skiped the reinstallation of the Wii and bought a used one at the price of €15 / $16,60.
The disc drive works, the original game i wanted was with the deal.
Right now, i'm modding the Wii with the ModMii guide and if it works out now, the problem is with the old Wii (obviously).
For now, i let you now the results with the "new" Wii, and i'll give the other one a try later on.

pkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, just a quick update about the "new" Wii.
Using the ModMii guide the wii is now modded ok.
Did all the steps and it works great.
My guess is that the problem could be in the faulty disk drive.
Everyone thanks for the input and suggested solutions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat